Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ide hdd

I have a few old HDD's, the 40 pin fellas, IDE.
Obviously my PC only has sata slots so i was gonna get a caddy but seen
these things on fleabay for a few quid, they appear to work OK according to
the feedback:

https://goo.gl/SDyoZE

Am I missing something obvious or will it be ok to grab a few smallish files
from old IDE drives, don't wanna buy a caddy as it'll never get used after
the first 5 minutes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2017 15:48, Phil L wrote:
I have a few old HDD's, the 40 pin fellas, IDE.
Obviously my PC only has sata slots so i was gonna get a caddy but seen
these things on fleabay for a few quid, they appear to work OK according to
the feedback:

https://goo.gl/SDyoZE

Am I missing something obvious or will it be ok to grab a few smallish files
from old IDE drives, don't wanna buy a caddy as it'll never get used after
the first 5 minutes.

Yup generally they work ok... you can also get standalone USB interface
leads for doing the same thing, they normally come with a PSU to power
the drive. A bit more expensive, but saves having to open the PC to
mount the old drive.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote

I have a few old HDD's, the 40 pin fellas, IDE.

Obviously my PC only has sata slots so i was gonna get a caddy but seen
these things on fleabay for a few quid, they appear to work OK according
to the feedback:

https://goo.gl/SDyoZE

Am I missing something obvious

Nope.

or will it be ok to grab a few smallish files from old IDE drives,

Yep.

don't wanna buy a caddy as it'll never get used after the first 5 minutes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 28 February 2017 15:46:40 UTC, Phil L wrote:
I have a few old HDD's, the 40 pin fellas, IDE.
Obviously my PC only has sata slots so i was gonna get a caddy but seen
these things on fleabay for a few quid, they appear to work OK according to
the feedback:

https://goo.gl/SDyoZE

Am I missing something obvious or will it be ok to grab a few smallish files
from old IDE drives, don't wanna buy a caddy as it'll never get used after
the first 5 minutes.

Those kind of things work fine, have used them a fair bit. There are several variants.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
I have a few old HDD's, the 40 pin fellas, IDE.
Obviously my PC only has sata slots so i was gonna get a caddy but
seen these things on fleabay for a few quid, they appear to work OK
according to the feedback:

https://goo.gl/SDyoZE

Am I missing something obvious or will it be ok to grab a few
smallish files from old IDE drives, don't wanna buy a caddy as it'll
never get used after the first 5 minutes.

I'll order one I think, thanks for the responses. A caddy would have been
wasted, I'm lobbing the HDD's in a skip as soon as I've got the emails etc
that I need.

Cheers all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Phil L wrote:
I'll order one I think, thanks for the responses. A caddy would have
been wasted, I'm lobbing the HDD's in a skip as soon as I've got the
emails etc that I need.

Oddly, they may have some value used. To fix a broken identical one with
important data on it.

--
*Many hamsters only blink one eye at a time *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 9:58:55 PM UTC, Phil L wrote:
Phil L wrote:
I have a few old HDD's, the 40 pin fellas, IDE.
Obviously my PC only has sata slots so i was gonna get a caddy but
seen these things on fleabay for a few quid, they appear to work OK
according to the feedback:

https://goo.gl/SDyoZE

Am I missing something obvious or will it be ok to grab a few
smallish files from old IDE drives, don't wanna buy a caddy as it'll
never get used after the first 5 minutes.

I'll order one I think, thanks for the responses. A caddy would have been
wasted, I'm lobbing the HDD's in a skip as soon as I've got the emails etc
that I need.

Cheers all.

But remember to trash the disk first. Although that takes some doing; it took five minutes pounding with a sledge hammer (beware of fragment ricochets) to break the casing to the point where I could see the platters.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
[...]

All you need to do is wipe it.
https://dban.org/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Halmyre wrote:

But remember to trash the disk first. Although that takes some doing; it
took five minutes pounding with a sledge hammer (beware of fragment ricochets)
to break the casing to the point where I could see the platters.

Why, apart from paranoia?

Delete the files (reformat even), that will prevent 99% of attempts to
see the data. ... and anyway you don't keep any important stuff
unencrypted on your disk drive do you?

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
I have a few old HDD's, the 40 pin fellas, IDE.
Obviously my PC only has sata slots so i was gonna get a caddy but
seen these things on fleabay for a few quid, they appear to work OK
according to the feedback:

https://goo.gl/SDyoZE

Am I missing something obvious or will it be ok to grab a few
smallish files from old IDE drives, don't wanna buy a caddy as it'll
never get used after the first 5 minutes.

I'll order one I think, thanks for the responses. A caddy would have been
wasted, I'm lobbing the HDD's in a skip as soon as I've got the emails etc
that I need.

Cheers all.

But remember to trash the disk first. Although that takes some doing; it took five minutes pounding with a sledge hammer (beware of fragment ricochets) to break the casing to the point where I could see the platters.

If you want to use physical destruction, it's easy to take the drive
apart with the approriate torx bits.

For old obsolete drives like IDEs, what I do is:

a) Remove the controller board and throw it away. Keep the rest of
the disk.

If it's just low security stuff, then I'll just keep the physical disk
around for a few months and then throw that away. Anyone who finds an
obsolete hard disk without a controller board is going to have to be
motivated to get anything meaningful off of it.

b) If I care, I'll take the drive apart. Note that there's normally
an extra torx screw in the centre of the case under the label.

This only takes a couple of minutes, and you can do a number of disks
fairly easily and strip them down to bare platters.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/03/2017 07:20, Halmyre wrote:

it took five minutes pounding with a sledge hammer (beware of fragment ricochets) to break the casing to the point where I could see the platters.

Far quicker to just undo the screws.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
I have a few old HDD's, the 40 pin fellas, IDE.
Obviously my PC only has sata slots so i was gonna get a caddy but
seen these things on fleabay for a few quid, they appear to work OK
according to the feedback:

https://goo.gl/SDyoZE

Am I missing something obvious or will it be ok to grab a few
smallish files from old IDE drives, don't wanna buy a caddy as it'll
never get used after the first 5 minutes.

I'll order one I think, thanks for the responses. A caddy would have
been wasted, I'm lobbing the HDD's in a skip as soon as I've got the
emails etc that I need.

Cheers all.

But remember to trash the disk first. Although that takes some doing;
it took five minutes pounding with a sledge hammer (beware of
fragment ricochets) to break the casing to the point where I could
see the platters.

I doubt there's anything on there of any value to anyone, bank passwords
etc.
If someone cares enough to salvage it from the bottom of a skip, they're
free to listen to my mp3 collection or what's left of it after it's been
covered with 8 tonnes of wet sand and broken concrete for a few weeks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
[...]

Not to mention some high tech looking coasters, and a good source of
powerful magnets ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
I have a few old HDD's, the 40 pin fellas, IDE.

b) If I care, I'll take the drive apart. Note that there's normally
an extra torx screw in the centre of the case under the label.

This only takes a couple of minutes, and you can do a number of disks
fairly easily and strip them down to bare platters.

Not to mention some high tech looking coasters, and a good source of
powerful magnets ;-)

The platters are sometimes handy mirrors for diy.

NT