Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car radio drains battery

Waiting for my wife for around half an hour outside a supermarket I had the radio on, when I tried to start up on her return the car would not start, battery flat, do I need a new battery?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Waiting for my wife for around half an hour outside a supermarket I had
the radio on, when I tried to start up on her return the car would not
start, battery flat, do I need a new battery?

Assuming the charging system is OK, very likely.

You can do a quick check on the charging system by connecting a DVM set to
volts across the battery. It should read something like 14v with the
engine running. If faulty, will be less than 13v.

--
*A plateau is a high form of flattery*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Waiting for my wife for around half an hour outside a supermarket I had
the radio on, when I tried to start up on her return the car would not
start, battery flat, do I need a new battery?

Assuming the charging system is OK, very likely.

You can do a quick check on the charging system by connecting a DVM set to
volts across the battery. It should read something like 14v with the
engine running. If faulty, will be less than 13v.

Or turn the headlights on then start the engine (if it will!). If the
lights brighten the charging circuit is OK.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Caecilius wrote:
We're at the end of the winter, so if your car has been doing a lot of
short trips, the battery could easily be low on charge and could just
need charging up.

Is this really the case? I do lots of short trips. The sort where the
engine only gets up to full working temperature with a bit of a de-tour.
And have never had to charge the battery externally.

--
*I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't care.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Caecilius wrote:
We're at the end of the winter, so if your car has been doing a lot of
short trips, the battery could easily be low on charge and could just
need charging up.

Is this really the case? I do lots of short trips. The sort where the
engine only gets up to full working temperature with a bit of a de-tour.
And have never had to charge the battery externally.

If the vehicle starts instantly it doesn't take long to put the charge
back. But if the starter motor has to turn a cold engine over for a long
time it might take 50 miles to recharge the battery.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
In article ,
Caecilius wrote:
We're at the end of the winter, so if your car has been doing a lot of
short trips, the battery could easily be low on charge and could just
need charging up.

Is this really the case? I do lots of short trips. The sort where the
engine only gets up to full working temperature with a bit of a de-tour.
And have never had to charge the battery externally.

If the vehicle starts instantly it doesn't take long to put the charge
back. But if the starter motor has to turn a cold engine over for a long
time it might take 50 miles to recharge the battery.

I could go for months without a 50 mile journey. ;-)

--
*In some places, C:\ is the root of all directories *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is this a record for Home Owners hub resurrecting old threads ..... 20 years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 10:18:12 -0800 (PST), JohnW
wrote:

Is this a record for Home Owners hub resurrecting old threads ..... 20 years.

Not really. raymondshoes1@etc is posting via Google Groups, as are
you.

I wouldn't have noticed that it was a followup to a 1997 thread had
you not mentioned it because the wording does stand alone so to speak.

I suppose the was a bit of a clue.

Dr John Betts & Mr J.S. Greystrong sound like redoubtable gentlemen.

Before my time, but only by a couple of years.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/uk.d...k/e9AVJcWt0AwJ

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Or maybe a new alternator or whatever it may not be charging correctly.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote in message
Waiting for my wife for around half an hour outside a supermarket I had
the radio on, when I tried to start up on her return the car would not
start, battery flat, do I need a new battery?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If the vehicle starts instantly it doesn't take long to put the charge
back. But if the starter motor has to turn a cold engine over for a long
time it might take 50 miles to recharge the battery.

I could go for months without a 50 mile journey. ;-)

And me. But the vehicle starts instantly.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 20:32:09 +0000, Bill Wright

If the vehicle starts instantly it doesn't take long to put the charge
back. But if the starter motor has to turn a cold engine over for a long
time it might take 50 miles to recharge the battery.

I could go for months without a 50 mile journey. ;-)

And me. But the vehicle starts instantly.

Bill

I've just got a new petrol engine car and it's amazing how easy it
starts.
The diesel cars I've been driving for the last 10 + years were also
good starters as long as you weren't impatient with their glowplugs.

I was just thinking, what if they tried to put automatic start-stop in
my first car, a Vauxhall Viva?
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2017 11:45, Bill Wright wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
Waiting for my wife for around half an hour outside a supermarket I had
the radio on, when I tried to start up on her return the car would not
start, battery flat, do I need a new battery?

Assuming the charging system is OK, very likely.

You can do a quick check on the charging system by connecting a DVM
set to
volts across the battery. It should read something like 14v with the
engine running. If faulty, will be less than 13v.

Or turn the headlights on then start the engine (if it will!). If the
lights brighten the charging circuit is OK.

My experience is they will dim considerably during cranking, such it's
impossible to do your comparison.

DVM is the way to go.