Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Five Cylinders (was OT Diesel Car Finance)

On 01/03/2017 18:18, Roger Mills wrote:

They did - but it was before the days of fuel injection for petrol
engines, and having anything other than 1 or 5 carburettors presented a
bit of a challenge.

Roger, do you know what the crank angles were?

Wonkypedia says they always have 72 degree cranks. I'm dubious.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2017 21:36, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 01/03/2017 18:18, Roger Mills wrote:

They did - but it was before the days of fuel injection for petrol
engines, and having anything other than 1 or 5 carburettors presented a
bit of a challenge.

Roger, do you know what the crank angles were?

Wonkypedia says they always have 72 degree cranks. I'm dubious.

Andy

I'm afraid I don't - I wasn't directly involved. ISTR that they were
struggling with balance weights on the crank in addition to the fueling
problems.

5-cylinder diesel engines are fairly commonplace now - so these issues
must have been sorted.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Diesel Car Finance

On Tuesday, 28 February 2017 11:08:04 UTC, Roger Mills wrote:
In ,
wrote:
How the world has changed. My first car took nearer 78 seconds to reach
62. Its replacement only saw 62 once on a very long downhill motorway.

Don't think I've ever seen a road test with an 0-60mph figure of 72
seconds quoted. They'd quote the 0-50 only. If it takes well over a minute
to reach that speed it's more likely to be the maximum speed.

I can't remember what the actual figures were but when I worked for
Rover and we produced the first rather gutless 3-speed automatic version
of the P6-2000, our chief tester said that he needed a calendar rather
than a stopwatch to measure the 0-60 time!

Which was why they got the Buick V8.
They were competing with the Triumph 2000/2500
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 1 March 2017 13:31:45 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:

That's why I said the P6 one died with the P6. Very (un)usual to have an
engine range only ever used in one model.

There was a 6-cylinder version of it which was fitted to a few P7
prototypes, but that was abandoned in favour of the V8.

Didn't they try a 5 cylinder too?

I thought that was Audi?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger wrote:

That's why I said the P6 one died with the P6. Very (un)usual to have an
engine range only ever used in one model.

There was a 6-cylinder version of it which was fitted to a few P7
prototypes, but that was abandoned in favour of the V8.

Didn't they try a 5 cylinder too?

I thought that was Audi?

Audi was one of the first to put a 5-cylinder diesel engine into production.

Long before that, Rover was working on a 5-cylinder petrol engine, but
it never got beyond the prototype stage.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger wrote:

That's why I said the P6 one died with the P6. Very (un)usual to
have an
engine range only ever used in one model.

There was a 6-cylinder version of it which was fitted to a few P7
prototypes, but that was abandoned in favour of the V8.

Didn't they try a 5 cylinder too?

I thought that was Audi?

Audi was one of the first to put a 5-cylinder diesel engine into
production.

Long before that, Rover was working on a 5-cylinder petrol engine, but
it never got beyond the prototype stage.

Landrover had the TD5.

Nice engine

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger wrote:

That's why I said the P6 one died with the P6. Very (un)usual to
have an engine range only ever used in one model.

There was a 6-cylinder version of it which was fitted to a few P7
prototypes, but that was abandoned in favour of the V8.

Didn't they try a 5 cylinder too?

I thought that was Audi?

Audi was one of the first to put a 5-cylinder diesel engine into
production.

Long before that, Rover was working on a 5-cylinder petrol engine, but
it never got beyond the prototype stage.

Rover were looking for a more powerful and refined engine for the P6,
which was originally only designed for a four cylinder (and gas turbine,
as it happens). A 6 cylinder was too long and would require extensive
bodywork mods if made using existing engine tooling. A 5 cylinder would in
theory fit the existing body shell.

The obvious answer was a V type engine. Hence buying the design rights to
the obsolete Buick V8. A nice and cheap design to produce in relatively
low volumes.

--
*We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger wrote:

[...]

Indeed. And the fact that the engine bay was very wide to allow for the
possibility of fitting a gas turbine engine meant that there was plenty
of room for the V8.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, February 26, 2017 at 9:34:33 PM UTC, TheChief wrote:
Hi all

Having a diesel Ford Focus I have been following the negative
press about diesels in general with a vested interest.

Does anyone have a diesel car on one of these personal finance deals?

As I understand these deals, you make a down payment and then pay
monthly for a given period. Then if you want to trade up after
say 2 years, your existing car becomes the down payment for the
new model.

So the question is, does the original car provider guarantee a
certain value for your car at 2 year trade in when you initially
sign up for this type of deal?
I am thinking that the value of these cars is going to drop like a
stone with the government telling everyone how diabolical they
are.

or perhaps they will become more valuable if the putative government scrappage value is more than the current commercial value for older ones.

That's what I'm hoping for anyway :-)

I remember when the UK converted from coal gas to north sea gas. Everyone dragged out all their old defunct gas appliances and got them replaced by nice new ones :-)

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
Rover were looking for a more powerful and refined engine for the P6,
which was originally only designed for a four cylinder (and gas turbine,
as it happens). A 6 cylinder was too long and would require extensive
bodywork mods if made using existing engine tooling. A 5 cylinder would in
theory fit the existing body shell.

The obvious answer was a V type engine. Hence buying the design rights to
the obsolete Buick V8. A nice and cheap design to produce in relatively
low volumes.

Indeed. And the fact that the engine bay was very wide to allow for the
possibility of fitting a gas turbine engine meant that there was plenty
of room for the V8.

Actually most cars of that sort of age, designed for a 1.5-2 litre inline
4, have room for the RV8. Hence its popularity. However, IIRC, Rover did
have to modify the 'chassis' slightly for it.

Remember reading a road test of a P6 fitted with the Daimler 2.5 V8.

--
*Does fuzzy logic tickle? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

builder finance [email protected] UK diy 8 August 21st 15 09:36 PM
How to tell wniter diesel from summer diesel Ignoramus24757 Metalworking 12 November 5th 12 01:44 AM
OT Global finance. harry Home Repair 0 September 3rd 11 06:26 PM
Finance question KRP ! Home Ownership 32 October 10th 05 02:46 PM
OT - New car finance Mike Hibbert UK diy 2 October 9th 05 10:49 PM