Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ferrules for Stainless wire.

I am connecting 1mm stainless wire to stainless screw hooks/loops in the
garden.
I want to make small loops in the wire. I am getting some copper ferrules to
do the job.
I have a crimping tool for electrical connections: could I use that to crimp
the ferrules or even a pair of decent pliers. Strength of the joint in not an
issue.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim wrote:

I am connecting 1mm stainless wire to stainless screw hooks/loops in the
garden.
I want to make small loops in the wire. I am getting some copper ferrules to
do the job.
I have a crimping tool for electrical connections: could I use that to crimp
the ferrules or even a pair of decent pliers. Strength of the joint in not an
issue.

You need something that will crimp a near figure 8 profile to grip both
wires. Pliers are likely to only give line contact grip on each wire but
a std electrical crimp tool for the red/blue/yellow crimps might give a
better result. If you have the decent ratchet type, make sure you find
out how to use the ratchet release mechanism first as you might find the
tool won't crimp fully and hence not release automatically.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2/15/2017 4:44 PM, Bob Minchin wrote:
Tim wrote:

[...]

I did something like this years ago using ~ 20 mm lengths of 1/8 inch
copper tube. While figure of eight is ideal, with a bit more length than
a standard ferrule it should work (assuming you are not loading to near
the ultimate strength of the wire). I think I crimped with a mole wrench
(which can apply a *lot* of force).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bob Minchin bob.minchinREMOVE@
YOURHATntlworld.com scribeth thus
Tim wrote:

I am connecting 1mm stainless wire to stainless screw hooks/loops in the
garden.
I want to make small loops in the wire. I am getting some copper ferrules to
do the job.
I have a crimping tool for electrical connections: could I use that to crimp
the ferrules or even a pair of decent pliers. Strength of the joint in not an
issue.

You need something that will crimp a near figure 8 profile to grip both
wires. Pliers are likely to only give line contact grip on each wire but
a std electrical crimp tool for the red/blue/yellow crimps might give a
better result. If you have the decent ratchet type, make sure you find
out how to use the ratchet release mechanism first as you might find the
tool won't crimp fully and hence not release automatically.

Toolstation do ferrules and clamp grips for that sort of wire...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim wrote:

[...]

Not Toolstation, but here are some anglers' ones for 1 mm wire,
presumably single strand.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEA-FISHIN... zXiiw3-ZyQbTw

I've seen "figure of 8" aluminium crimps for stranded wire down to about
3 mm diameter. Try ships' chandlers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim wrote:

[...]

There was something on telly called Gripples - they might be of use. I don't
know if there's a stainless one.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 21 February 2017 08:34:13 UTC, PeterC wrote:

There was something on telly called Gripples - they might be of use. I don't
know if there's a stainless one.

[Thread-crossing alert]
Adam's apprentices know where to find the videos of attractive young ladies demonstrating them...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim wrote:

[...]

Those are for fencing wire. Rather larger than 1 mm.