Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UK DIY Wiki : "The Lightbulb Ban"

In the UK DIY Wiki, page
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Dimmers_%26_Switchbanks,
I have replaced the outdated section "The Lightbulb Ban" with a new one,
"The Incandescent Lightbulb Ban". Please feel free to improve it.

I think that, in the Wiki, the whole topic of "Dimmers" needs reviewing,
especially but not only with reference to LEDs, by those who know more
about the present situation than I yet do.

ASIDE :
I have a number of old torches with the traditional small screw-
in bulbs - MES / E10, I think. And I have some modern LED
torches, in each of which either the circuitry can be seen to be
small or the circuitry is concealed in an evidently-small space.
So: I wonder whether anyone has thought of making small LED
bulbs for old torches, after the fashion of large LED bulbs for
old houses.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Merlyn Web Site - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 6 February 2017 23:45:30 UTC, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
So: I wonder whether anyone has thought of making small LED
bulbs for old torches, after the fashion of large LED bulbs for
old houses.

lightbulb manufacturers have

http://www.thetorchsite.co.uk/Univer..._upgrades.html

https://www.rapidonline.com/truopto-...amps-mes-77938

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2017 19:27, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
In the UK DIY Wiki, page
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Dimmers_%26_Switchbanks,
I have replaced the outdated section "The Lightbulb Ban" with a new one,
"The Incandescent Lightbulb Ban". Please feel free to improve it.

I think that, in the Wiki, the whole topic of "Dimmers" needs reviewing,
especially but not only with reference to LEDs, by those who know more
about the present situation than I yet do.

Yup I see what you mean, there was lots of complexity and duplication in
there...

I have moved some of the preachy stuff about costs of various
technologies to the talk page - for inclusion in a separate "lighting
cost" article. That seems to make more sense than crufting up all the
lighting articles with the same stuff. This one seems better focussed on
the task at hand - i.e. variable illumination levels.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 7 February 2017 02:00:01 UTC, John Rumm wrote:

I have moved some of the preachy stuff about costs of various
technologies to the talk page - for inclusion in a separate "lighting
cost" article. That seems to make more sense than crufting up all the
lighting articles with the same stuff. This one seems better focussed on
the task at hand - i.e. variable illumination levels.

I will E-mail you a 25kB ZIP of a private page on saving power costs; for use or comment as you wish, but not for re-publication as is.

--
(c) John Stockton, near London, UK. Using Google, no spell-check. |
Mail:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 7 February 2017 12:46:39 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
I think the issue about torch bulbs is that in order to use the reflectors
the light needs to come out of the device at a very wide angle. Not something
leds are known for.

If LED light comes out at a narrow angle, then old reflectors are useless but
harmless. Of my nearest three LED torches, one has no reflector, one has a
seemingly-useless reflector, and one has a mildly-useful reflector.

If the new LED uses the same power as the original MES, it will be considerably
brighter and so ineffectiveness of a reflector is unimportant!

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. 拯merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Merlyn Web Site - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Monday, 6 February 2017 23:45:30 UTC, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
So: I wonder whether anyone has thought of making small LED
bulbs for old torches, after the fashion of large LED bulbs for
old houses.

lightbulb manufacturers have

http://www.thetorchsite.co.uk/Univer..._upgrades.html

https://www.rapidonline.com/truopto-...amps-mes-77938

Owain

It looks like the ones in your first link do not use the torch reflector in
any way, but the ones in your second link radiate sideways and the reflector
would help as before.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Minimising energy use is a hot topic these days, with lots of people desiring to do so. That energy use is most easily measured in electricity cost. It thus seems odd to remove an important consideration in lighting choice. Yes it all needs work, but I don't think removing the data is the solution.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2017 13:52, wrote:
[...]

Its an important topic, and hence worthy of its own article.

It thus seems odd to remove an important
consideration in lighting choice. Yes it all needs work, but I don't
think removing the data is the solution.

I can't see the point of including masses of comparisons between CFLs
and incandescent energy use in an article that is supposed to be about
controlling lighting levels.

As the article itself states, there are lots of benefits for allowing
more controllable illumination levels and few of these have anything to
do with reducing energy use. So keep it focussed on ways of doing that.

Sure a comment warning that running some lamp types on a dimmer may not
save energy (or even cost more if one chooses to run more powerful
lamps) is worth including, there is no need to get carried away with it
here. Same goes for stuff about light bulb bans etc. Not really relevant
to the topic under discussion.

The information removed from that article can still be used elsewhere.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2017-02-07, Max Demian wrote:
On 07/02/2017 00:32, wrote:
On Monday, 6 February 2017 23:45:30 UTC, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
So: I wonder whether anyone has thought of making small LED
bulbs for old torches, after the fashion of large LED bulbs for
old houses.

lightbulb manufacturers have

http://www.thetorchsite.co.uk/Univer..._upgrades.html

Cheaper to buy an LED torch.

That was the conclusion I came to, at least for small torches.

Depends on the torch. My 2D Maglite has a conversion bulb, but I bought a
new 2 AA torch.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-02-07, Max Demian wrote:
On 07/02/2017 00:32, wrote:
On Monday, 6 February 2017 23:45:30 UTC, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
So: I wonder whether anyone has thought of making small LED bulbs
for old torches, after the fashion of large LED bulbs for old
houses.

lightbulb manufacturers have

http://www.thetorchsite.co.uk/Univer..._upgrades.html

Cheaper to buy an LED torch.

That was the conclusion I came to, at least for small torches.

I bought conversion kits for all my Maglites years ago.

Saved me a fortune in replacement bulbs when I drop them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2017 13:39, Dave W wrote:
wrote in message
On Monday, 6 February 2017 23:45:30 UTC, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
So: I wonder whether anyone has thought of making small LED
bulbs for old torches, after the fashion of large LED bulbs for
old houses.

lightbulb manufacturers have

http://www.thetorchsite.co.uk/Univer..._upgrades.html

https://www.rapidonline.com/truopto-...amps-mes-77938

Owain

In the spirit of DIY for 3v and red LEDs in bicycle rear lights and 4.5v
and white in torches you can DIY make a superbright LED in series with a
smallish current limiting resistor ~62R for 30mA (or alternatively use
nearly spent batteries relying on cell internal resistance to current
limit and keep an eye out for leaks).

It looks like the ones in your first link do not use the torch reflector in
any way, but the ones in your second link radiate sideways and the reflector
would help as before.

Modern clear LED housings are designed to create a highly collimated
forward beam anyway so the reflector has very little work to do.

One of their great advantages on cars light clusters and motorway
"please don't hit me" signs is that they are visible from a long way
away but gradually dim as you draw closer but off the optical axis.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown