Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default When sawboards go bad

So I cut a length off a full sheet of 3/4" MDF. Being too large to feed
through my table saw I used my long sawboard[1]. Normally I am just
breaking down a big sheet so I can machine it further, but this time was
actually cutting to finished size.

When I checked the cut part in the middle, I thought "that's odd, its
2-3mm too wide". Then I checked both ends, and they were spot on. So a
bit of further investigation showed that the trusty sawboard had a very
slight bend along its length! Not sure if its always been there, or for
some reason it had warped.

Anyway, to fix it I clamped it to the factory edge of the MDF sheet, and
used a router with a fence to trim the face part of the board parallel
to the edge of the MDF sheet - vutting just deep enough to take the face
edge flush to the top of the board. Then I re-cut the board edge with
the circular saw to make it match the now slightly shifted (and
straight!) fence on the board. So it works ok again now...

[1] http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Sawboard

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2/5/2017 10:48 PM, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Weird! Mine (4 foot and 8 foot) are both two bits of 9 mm ply, I would
be surprised if they distorted that way. A very elegant fix though, I
will try to file that away mentally. Will check my boards when they come
back from loan too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2017 23:34, newshound wrote:
[...]

This was one made from 6mm ply, so perhaps that's part of it. Come to
think of it, I did wax it the other day...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2017 00:19, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

I suppose one should invest in plastic but it's so damned expensive. I
suppose narrow strips might get chucked by fabricators.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/17 22:48, John Rumm wrote:
So I cut a length off a full sheet of 3/4" MDF. Being too large to feed
through my table saw I used my long sawboard[1]. Normally I am just
breaking down a big sheet so I can machine it further, but this time was
actually cutting to finished size.

When I checked the cut part in the middle, I thought "that's odd, its
2-3mm too wide". Then I checked both ends, and they were spot on. So a
bit of further investigation showed that the trusty sawboard had a very
slight bend along its length! Not sure if its always been there, or for
some reason it had warped.

For some reason my circular saw has has a bit of an occasional startout
wobble and taken some material out of the start and end of my aging thin
MDF sawboard.

It's a mm or so, so me using either end to match measured points on the
workpiece doesn't work out that well for accuracy. I now prefer to align
further down the sawboard against straight drawn pencil lines, where
this sawboard damage hasn't happened.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm writes:

So I cut a length off a full sheet of 3/4" MDF. Being too
large to feed through my table saw I used my long
sawboard[1]. Normally I am just breaking down a big sheet so
I can machine it further, but this time was actually cutting
to finished size.

When I checked the cut part in the middle, I thought "that's
odd, its 2-3mm too wide". Then I checked both ends, and they
were spot on. So a bit of further investigation showed that
the trusty sawboard had a very slight bend along its length!
Not sure if its always been there, or for some reason it had
warped.

This has happened with my MDF one. I noticed when I cut some
strips of ply off the long edge of a full sheet. I suspect that
when used on a full sheet, because it can only be clamped at the
ends, pushing the saw against the guide bends it a little. After
a few goes this bend sets in. I had hoped that switching to ply
for the sawboard would solve this, but your experience suggests
not.

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2014-04-05)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2017 10:46, Jon Fairbairn wrote:
John Rumm writes:

[...]

Well mine was bent in the other direction - bowed against the direction
of push...

I think 6mm base board, and 9 or 12mm ply fence is probably a better
combination.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm writes:

[...]

Certainly a bit easier to use with a thicker fence. I had spare 9 mm
when I made mine. You lose a bit of cut depth with a 9 mm base board,
but not a problem if you are mainly cutting sheet up to 18 mm. With 9
and 9 or 9 and 12 it is easier to screw and glue to make a very robust
board.