Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Found the leak at last!

The condensate pipe from the boiler is solvent welded, and one of the
fittings had developed a hair line crack. I had to cut it out and put in
a new length of pipe, plus connector fittings in order to replace this
one joint. Did I miss a trick there for replacing it? And why would it
have cracked in the first place?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 02/02/2017 18:22, Brian Gaff wrote:
Dis similar expansion rates?
Brian

This is well down the condensate pipe, 2-3m from the boiler. So the
water must be room temperature.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

GB Wrote in message:
The condensate pipe from the boiler is solvent welded, and one of the
fittings had developed a hair line crack. I had to cut it out and put in
a new length of pipe, plus connector fittings in order to replace this
one joint. Did I miss a trick there for replacing it? And why would it
have cracked in the first place?

Ice?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2/2/2017 5:41 PM, GB wrote:
The condensate pipe from the boiler is solvent welded, and one of the
fittings had developed a hair line crack. I had to cut it out and put in
a new length of pipe, plus connector fittings in order to replace this
one joint. Did I miss a trick there for replacing it? And why would it
have cracked in the first place?

Wrong solvent cement? They can be PVC or ABS and there are two different
types of solvent; one solvent is compatible with the other, but there is
a "wrong way round". Some plastics get brittle if exposed to the wrong
solvent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 02/02/2017 18:45, jim wrote:
GB Wrote in message:
The condensate pipe from the boiler is solvent welded, and one of the
fittings had developed a hair line crack. I had to cut it out and put in
a new length of pipe, plus connector fittings in order to replace this
one joint. Did I miss a trick there for replacing it? And why would it
have cracked in the first place?

Ice?

No. This was under the kitchen sink.

The bit I had to cut out had a 90 degree bend and a 45 degree bend.
After I'd messed around for quite a while cutting little itty bitty
lengths of pipe and using 4 solvent weld fittings to replace it, I went
home and checked the www. I found:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-f...56-206mm/34977

So would that have done the job in 5 minutes? Plus 30 minutes to go and
get it, but still quicker than all the messing around.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Who knows, but could the problem be some strain, ie the angles of the pipes
have moved over time as hot or cold water flowed through the pip. You say it
should be room temp, but have you actually measured what it does?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"GB" wrote in message
news
On 02/02/2017 18:45, jim wrote:
GB Wrote in message:
The condensate pipe from the boiler is solvent welded, and one of the
fittings had developed a hair line crack. I had to cut it out and put in
a new length of pipe, plus connector fittings in order to replace this
one joint. Did I miss a trick there for replacing it? And why would it
have cracked in the first place?

Ice?

No. This was under the kitchen sink.

The bit I had to cut out had a 90 degree bend and a 45 degree bend. After
I'd messed around for quite a while cutting little itty bitty lengths of
pipe and using 4 solvent weld fittings to replace it, I went home and
checked the www. I found:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-f...56-206mm/34977

So would that have done the job in 5 minutes? Plus 30 minutes to go and
get it, but still quicker than all the messing around.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 2 February 2017 19:25:38 UTC, GB wrote:
On 02/02/2017 18:45, jim wrote:
GB Wrote in message:

The condensate pipe from the boiler is solvent welded, and one of the
fittings had developed a hair line crack. I had to cut it out and put in
a new length of pipe, plus connector fittings in order to replace this
one joint. Did I miss a trick there for replacing it? And why would it
have cracked in the first place?

Ice?

No. This was under the kitchen sink.

The bit I had to cut out had a 90 degree bend and a 45 degree bend.
After I'd messed around for quite a while cutting little itty bitty
lengths of pipe and using 4 solvent weld fittings to replace it, I went
home and checked the www. I found:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-f...56-206mm/34977

So would that have done the job in 5 minutes? Plus 30 minutes to go and
get it, but still quicker than all the messing around.

As it's a waste pipe with no pressure I'd have painted the crack with solvent.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
On 02/02/2017 18:45, jim wrote:
GB Wrote in message:
The condensate pipe from the boiler is solvent welded, and one of
the fittings had developed a hair line crack. I had to cut it out
and put in a new length of pipe, plus connector fittings in order
to replace this one joint. Did I miss a trick there for replacing
it? And why would it have cracked in the first place?

Ice?

No. This was under the kitchen sink.

Someone has pushed something in the cupboard and it's either cracked it or
put enough strain on it that it's cracked over time?