Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Expansion strip?

Hi all

Curious about the construction of a new bungalow outer block wall.
There are some new bungalows going up in the village and I was
checking them out this afternoon.
As they are going to be rendered, the outer skin is block rather
than brick.

Anyhow, a little way offset from the centre of the gable end wall,
a vertical groove has been
cut from a point level with the eaves
to the top of the wall (near but to one side of the apex). This
groove has been filled with some kind of flexible filler.

It is possible that the groove is actually a cut right through the
exterior leaf.

Anyone seen this to know what's occurring? The bungalow is
advertised as four bedroom but is not huge by any means, so I'm
not sure if this would qualify for an expansion strip.

Thoughts please.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheChief" wrote in message
news
Hi all

Curious about the construction of a new bungalow outer block wall.
There are some new bungalows going up in the village and I was
checking them out this afternoon.
As they are going to be rendered, the outer skin is block rather
than brick.

Anyhow, a little way offset from the centre of the gable end wall,
a vertical groove has been cut from a point level with the eaves
to the top of the wall (near but to one side of the apex). This
groove has been filled with some kind of flexible filler.

It is possible that the groove is actually a cut right through the
exterior leaf.

yes

Anyone seen this to know what's occurring? The bungalow is
advertised as four bedroom but is not huge by any means, so I'm
not sure if this would qualify for an expansion strip.

Thoughts please.

Phil

brick expands concrete block shrinks .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 28 January 2017 21:42:58 UTC, TheChief wrote:
[...]

The exterior leaf is probably made from insulating blocks.
Thermal expansion joints have to be left at regular intervals.
The walls are linked with "slip ties".
https://www.twistfix.co.uk/slip-ties

There's usually a 5mm gap filled with an elastic material.

Some bricks need expansion/movement joints too.
Especially in long walls

http://www.brick.org.uk/wp-content/u...nt-Joints1.pdf
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"TheChief" wrote in message
[...]

....an expansion joint should really be called a movement joint .........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/17 12:43, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"TheChief" wrote in message
[...]

You wouldn't put an expansion joint in a small masonry wall. I'd guess
at a buried cable.

Josef Stalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
On 29/01/17 12:43, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"TheChief" wrote in message
news Hi all

[...]

naw...middle of gable end walls was favourite for movement joints ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry Wrote in message:
[...]

Thanks to all.
Never heard of the Brick Development Association but v interesting
document.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

O/T Strip Down Lew Hodgett[_6_] Woodworking 4 May 1st 13 03:58 PM
OT. Is this laminate expansion gap big enough? The Medway Handyman UK diy 3 December 14th 07 02:13 PM
Wood Expansion Richard J Petruso Woodworking 11 November 9th 07 12:41 AM
CH Expansion Vessel Bart UK diy 14 June 6th 06 11:03 PM
Laminate expansion gap cover strip - cheapest place? Mark UK diy 9 December 13th 03 12:35 PM