Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flu Outbreak

On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 20:06:06 -0000, tony sayer wrote:

In article , James Wilkinson Sword
scribeth thus
On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 15:43:13 -0000, Bod wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 07:28:36 -0000, Bod wrote:

'Flu is a horrible, very serious, disease that has been trivialised
with everyone who has the sniffles saying " ah a touch of the 'flu "

We have noticed an outbreak of the squits in our house and in the
hospital where the ughlaws are but no rhinoviruses.

On this I agree with soup.
I had flu in the year 2000 and will never forget it :-(
I will not put the details here as this is respectable group.
The saying is that if you see somebody drop a £20 note and you pick it
up,
then you have not got the flu. I would not have picked it up.
I went back to work after a week in bed and really should not have done
this.
Seems that there is something called mild flu?

I do not get flus.

Correction! You've been lucky so far.

I get virtually no colds or flus when those around me do.

I've only had flu once. You're just as likely as anyone else when a new
virulent strain of flu comes out.

Depends on how you define flu. There are viruses all the way from mild cold to
bedridden flu. I get none, others get lots. So I'm not just as likely.

So you get illnesses that are unknown to medical science then?..

How on earth do you read that into what I wrote?

--
Here are some actual maintenance complaints/problems, generally known as squawks, recently submitted by QANTAS Pilots to maintenance engineers. After attending to the squawks, maintenance crews are required to log the details of the action taken to solve the pilots' squawks.

Problem - Left inside main tyre almost needs replacement.
Solution - Almost replaced left inside main tyre.

Problem - Test flight OK, except autoland very rough.
Solution - Autoland not installed on this aircraft.

Problem - No. 2 propeller seeping prop fluid.
Solution - No. 2 propeller seepage normal. Nos. 1, 3 and 4 propellers lack normal seepage.

Problem - Something loose in cockpit.
Solution - Something tightened in cockpit.

Problem - Dead bugs on windshield.
Solution - Live bugs on backorder.

Problem - Autopilot in altitude-hold mode produces a 200-fpm descent.
Solution - Cannot reproduce problem on ground.

Problem - Evidence of leak on right main landing gear.
Solution - Evidence removed.

Problem - DME volume unbelievably loud.
Solution - Volume set to more believable level.

Problem - Friction locks cause throttle levers to stick.
Solution - That's what they are there for!

Problem - IFF inoperative.
Solution - IFF always inoperative in OFF mode.

Problem - Suspected crack in windscreen.
Solution - Suspect you're right.

Problem - Number 3 engine missing.
Solution - Engine found on right wing after brief search.

Problem - Aircraft handles funny.
Solution - Aircraft warned to "Straighten up, Fly Right, and Be Serious."

Problem - Target radar hums.
Solution - Reprogrammed target radar with words.

Problem - Mouse in cockpit.
Solution - Cat installed.

Defect: Seat cushion in 13F smells rotten.
Action: Fresh seat cushion on order.

Defect: Turn & slip indicator ball stuck in center during turns.
Action: Congratulations. You just made your first coordinated turn!

Defect: Whining sound heard on engine shutdown.
Action: Pilot removed from aircraft.

Defect: Pilot's clock inoperative.
Action: Wound clock.

Defect: Autopilot tends to drop a wing when fuel imbalance reaches 500 pounds.
Action: Flight manual limits maximum fuel imbalance to 300 pounds.

Defect: #2 ADF needle runs wild.
Action: Caught and tamed #2 ADF needle.

Defect: Unfamiliar noise coming from #2 engine.
Action: Engine run for four hours. Noise now familiar.

Defect: Noise coming from #2 engine. Sounds like man with little hammer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1/25/2017 12:53 PM, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 25 January 2017 08:44:23 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
You been eating dodgy game birds at all? Apparently there is a lot of bird
flu about just now.
I'msure there has to be a joke in this but I cannot think of it at the
moment.

I recon it's man flu he's been gobling off some men, he thought they were birds but they were ladyboys ;-)

There are however a lot of viral infections about, and it does not really
matter what label it has its still going to be a real pain until your imune
ystem finishes it off.

Well we all know what the real cause of this is. BREXIT !

So yesterday.

It's Trump of course.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Yip:
He tried to claim permanent invalidity or something about 3 years ago. The
lazy ****** worked out that he could claim more in benefits and hand outs
from his father than he could get by working.
He had this mystery illness yer see.
He made the entire invalidity claim up and was told to **** off.
Now, he is a delivery boy claiming tax credits and getting hand outs from
his dad.
Conclusion:

http://www.edexam.com.au/wp-content/.../05/******.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Do you believe medicine knows everything?

--
A man walks into a bar with a slab of asphalt under his arm and says, "A beer please, and one for the road."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2017 16:58, Rod Speed wrote:

I did get one infection with weird symptoms. The whole damned room
was spinning even when sitting in an arm chair and it was tricky walking
because of that effect. Didn't last that long, only a few days.

Would that be labyrnthitis (sp?)? I had that, oh, fifteen years ago now.
Couldn't lie on the floor without holding on, fell against the radiator
in the bathroom yanking it off the wall, fell down the stairs a couple
of times, long story short it was a complete *&^%ing nightmare.

The way it was explained to me was the fluid in the semi-circular
canals thickens due to an infection (either viral or bacterial) and,
your balance is completely off as the brain gets clues from the fluid
sloshing about moving hairs inside the canals, if the fluid doesn't
slosh properly... .

Actual attack lasted about a week but the doc stated it could flare up
again, without reinfection, at any time within the next year or two.

Perhaps more accurate than my third hand remembered from fifteen years
ago explanation.
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/labyrin...roduction.aspx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 21:45:03 -0000, soup wrote:

[...]

I was told I might have that, but I didn't. My head feels like it's stuffed with cotton wool. Sleep, chocolate, and alcohol help for a short while.

--
FREE ONE DOLLAR BILLS!
(Please send $4.95 to cover posting and handling)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2017 20:54, Chris wrote:
Hi all,

Anyone know if there's an epidemic broken out as yet? I've certainly got
something and if it isn't flu then FKWII. First time in 40 years, but
it's making up for lost time. Jeez!
8 days now and still no sign of improvement.

Your area?

It's been going round West Sussex since last October !.
Gives a nasty chesty cough that takes weeks to go.
I think it's what Her Maj had over Christmas.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/17 19:10, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 17:46:24 +0000, damduck-egg wrote:

I've often wished I could hibernate like a bear before now and avoid
things. Shut down before the Christmas shopping spree gets under way
and wake in at the end of Febuary when people snorting and sneezing
everywhere have got over it.

I met a bloke once who claimed to do precisely that! I think I'd be more
inclined to just bugger off to somewhere else nice and warm.

I did.

--
€œit should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/17 20:38, newshound wrote:
On 1/25/2017 12:53 PM, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 25 January 2017 08:44:23 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
You been eating dodgy game birds at all? Apparently there is a lot of
bird
flu about just now.
I'msure there has to be a joke in this but I cannot think of it at the
moment.

I recon it's man flu he's been gobling off some men, he thought they
were birds but they were ladyboys ;-)

There are however a lot of viral infections about, and it does not
really
matter what label it has its still going to be a real pain until your
imune
ystem finishes it off.

Well we all know what the real cause of this is. BREXIT !

So yesterday.

It's Trump of course.

Silly boy. Its Thatchers fault.

--
€œit should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and
the state, and about the manipulation of people under the guise of a
'noble' idea. It is not an honest pursuit of 'sustainable development,'
a matter of elementary environmental protection, or a search for
rational mechanisms designed to achieve a healthy environment. Yet
things do occur that make you shake your head and remind yourself that
you live neither in Joseph Stalins Communist era, nor in the Orwellian
utopia of 1984.€

Vaclav Klaus
Posted to uk.d-i-y

soup wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I did get one infection with weird symptoms. The whole damned room
was spinning even when sitting in an arm chair and it was tricky walking
because of that effect. Didn't last that long, only a few days.

Would that be labyrnthitis (sp?)?

Don't think so, I had to look that one up. That lasts rather longer than
mine did.

Cant remember the other detail I had with it and didn't
remember to put the event in my medical database.

I had that, oh, fifteen years ago now. Couldn't lie on the floor without
holding on, fell against the radiator in the bathroom yanking it off the
wall, fell down the stairs a couple of times,

Mine wasn't as bad as that, never actually
fell over and don't have any stairs.

long story short it was a complete *&^%ing nightmare.

The way it was explained to me was the fluid in the semi-circular
canals thickens due to an infection (either viral or bacterial) and,
your balance is completely off as the brain gets clues from the fluid
sloshing about moving hairs inside the canals, if the fluid doesn't
slosh properly... .

Sounds very plausible.

Actual attack lasted about a week but the doc stated it could flare up
again, without reinfection, at any time within the next year or two.

Never had a recurrence but did find that I wasn't as confident balance
wise with my eyes closed for a while after. That effect might have
lasted 6 months or a year which supports the inner ear theory.

Perhaps more accurate than my third hand remembered from fifteen years ago
explanation.

Yeah, I can't now remember what other symptoms I had
at the time. From memory it was more than just the room
spinning, but that's about all I can remember now.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/labyrin...roduction.aspx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
[...]

O c'mon Wodney, you have ~500 folks all waiting with baited breath to
understand why you survived.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 16:30:23 -0000, Bod wrote:

[...]

Flu is flu (as far as I know). When you get it, it floors you.

There are varying degrees of everything, including colds, and presumably
flus. The only time I've been floored is eating something that
disagreed with me.

As I'd recently had chemotherapy, I got blue lighted to hospital at
New Year. In a room on my own in case I had flu and dosed with tamiflu
plus an antibiotic drip for a week. Never felt better at the end of the
week, but daily blood tests suggest whatever it was didn't respond
easily to the drugs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 25 January 2017 20:20:52 UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
[...]

Because you're not human, perhaps ;-)

I guess it is possible to get such a thing that is unknown to medical science as this is how most things start out. Then science analyse and finds a cure or whatever you call it or they annoucne an new strain of it.

The most common way of catching these things is being in close proximity to other humans or what they toucvh I'm pretty sure most of my colds are coaught on london transport, it;s not exactly unusal to be sitting near someone sneezing or coughing and when you;re packed like cattle, and thens theres wahtever his left on hand rails and seats.
But of you have little or no contact with anyone else I guess your chance of catching these bugs is reduced.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 17:23:27 GMT, pamela wrote:

Reminds me that years ago I had a flu jab which knocked me out
completely for 24 hours with all the symptoms of the flu
(weakness, massive sweating, etc). Never had the same reaction to
a flu jab since and I've had dozens of them.

I had some strange reactions immediately after my flu jab in
mid-October. Temperature, stomach upset, runny nose, restless sleep
for almost 10 days.

On Jan 1st I got a cold/flu with lots of lip sores and the cough of
which is still lingering on now.

Will never know whether or not I would have been better off without
the flu jab but certainly don't want a repeat next year thanks.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 20:54:45 +0000, Chris wrote:

Hi all,

Anyone know if there's an epidemic broken out as yet? I've certainly got
something and if it isn't flu then FKWII. First time in 40 years, but
it's making up for lost time. Jeez!
8 days now and still no sign of improvement.

Your area?

If, as suggested at various points in this thread, individuals can show
very different reactions to a particular strain of flu, then perhaps.

I mean, if you have a mild dose how do you know if it is flu?

I think most can recognise a severe dose by the £20 test.

Anyway, my partner has had something for the last couple of weeks which
has really laid her out but not to the "severe flu" level. I seem to have
escaped whatever it is. I had a flu jab. Correlation does not imply
causation.

There is certainly something nasty doing the rounds.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

He knocks on their doors trying to flog them ****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2017 08:31, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
Awful hacking cough doing the rounds, wheezing like a 40-a-day-for-
30-years smoker, bringing up gallons of green crap, takes about three
weeks (yes, really) to clear). People being told that it's a virus, and
not to go to the doc as antibiotics won't work.

Sounds familiar. Except the crap isn't green.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 22:15:04 +0000, Andrew wrote:

It's been going round West Sussex since last October !.
Gives a nasty chesty cough that takes weeks to go.
I think it's what Her Maj had over Christmas.

Different bug altogether, then, cos that ain't flu.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 26 January 2017 18:14:32 UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
[...]

Avoid using the same handle as everyone else.

How can you do that. How do you know which handle the person used 5 mins ago.
Most doors have just one or two handles with 100s of peole passing through them
In my lab we have two door handles in a typical day perhaps 50-100 hands will touch them.

Go through double doors using the other one, or push with your elbow. Most germs are from contact, not air.

Yes I know I tend to kick the door when possible especailly toilet door.
And what about the taps yuo use for cleaning yuor hands how to you turn them off and on without touching them because the person before you touched them and the person before them too...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , David
scribeth thus
[...]

Yes there is and its a version of a cold virus allied with a type of
bronchitis so a mate of mine who works in a pathology lab connected to a
large teaching hospital said.

He did day more on it but its not my subject epidemiology..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Jan 2017 13:20:31 -0000, whisky-dave wrote:

[...]

Dunno if it lasts that long, but I always used the opposite door to the guy in front of me.