Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Paper pad glue.

The sort of pad where you just pull a page away from the top backing. What
sort of glue is used?

--
*The longest recorded flightof a chicken is thirteen seconds *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1/8/2017 1:34 PM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
The sort of pad where you just pull a page away from the top backing. What
sort of glue is used?

You mean Post-it glue? It's a bit like dried "rubber solution", I
imagine it is a synthetic version of that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The sort of pad where you just pull a page away from the top backing. What
sort of glue is used?

http://www.practicallyfunctional.com...-pad-of-paper/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1tZBBjuOr8

https://www.amazon.com/Book-Compound.../dp/B003QI3ZLE

etc

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
On 1/8/2017 1:34 PM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
The sort of pad where you just pull a page away from the top backing.
What sort of glue is used?

You mean Post-it glue? It's a bit like dried "rubber solution", I
imagine it is a synthetic version of that.

Was trying desperately how to describe it. A sort of book binding glue?
Not Post-it notes where you want to stick the note to something. Just to
make the spine.

--
*Never test the depth of the water with both feet.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Clive Arthur wrote:
The sort of pad where you just pull a page away from the top backing.
What sort of glue is used?

http://www.practicallyfunctional.com...-pad-of-paper/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1tZBBjuOr8

https://www.amazon.com/Book-Compound.../dp/B003QI3ZLE

Thanks. The first one just calls it rubber glue.

The Utube, padding compound which seems to be a US term - nothing on Ebay
under that or pad or book compound. Except bits for brakes. ;-)

The Amazon one seems the one - but pretty pricey? Might be for a larger
quantity than I need - can't find the size listed. I've never used Amazon.
;-)

--
*WHY ARE HEMORRHOIDS CALLED "HEMORRHOIDS" INSTEAD OF "ASTEROIDS"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 8 January 2017 13:34:57 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
The sort of pad where you just pull a page away from the top backing. What
sort of glue is used?

Padding glue.

https://www.chilvers.co.uk/5-kg-padding-glue.html

often used with padding mull to strengthen the pad.

Copydex, and some bandage from the first aid box, is a reasonable small-scale substitute.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The sort of pad where you just pull a page away from the top backing. What
sort of glue is used?

Synthetic rubber latex..

When I left school I had a summer job at BP plastics where they
made all the raw materials used by the paint manufacturers
and stuff like kitchen towels and loo paper.

The two leaves of a two-ply paper roll were glued together
with a synthetic rubber latex and there were thousands
of variations for all manner of applications.

The research lab at BP plastics concocted all these
formulations and had pre-production test rigs to
try them out.

testing paint formulations for UV stability, mechanical
resistance, opacity and more was all part of their
service. You could spend an entire career just on
paint formulations.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The sort of pad where you just pull a page away from the top backing. What
sort of glue is used?

Stick It

Comes in a roll with (if needed) an applicator. Apply to the sheet of
paper and it gives a removable bond. Also available as a permanent glue

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
On 1/8/2017 1:34 PM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
The sort of pad where you just pull a page away from the top backing.
What sort of glue is used?

You mean Post-it glue? It's a bit like dried "rubber solution", I
imagine it is a synthetic version of that.

Was trying desperately how to describe it. A sort of book binding glue?
Not Post-it notes where you want to stick the note to something. Just to
make the spine.

I think it's some kind of PVA that sets flexible.

If you look on amazon.co.uk for bookbinders (or book repair) adhesive
you will find it.

Worth an experiment with an old book or thick magazine and "regular" PVA
maybe?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Malcolm Race" wrote in message
news
The sort of pad where you just pull a page away from the top backing.
What
sort of glue is used?

Stick It

Comes in a roll with (if needed) an applicator. Apply to the sheet of
paper and it gives a removable bond. Also available as a permanent glue

Malcolm

Could you give more details? The only Stick-It I can find is double sided
adhesive tape. The last I heard is that Post-It notes adhesive is a trade
secret and not for sale.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave W wrote:

"Malcolm Race" wrote in message
news
The sort of pad where you just pull a page away from the top backing.
What
sort of glue is used?

Stick It

Comes in a roll with (if needed) an applicator. Apply to the sheet of
paper and it gives a removable bond. Also available as a permanent glue

Malcolm

Could you give more details? The only Stick-It I can find is double sided
adhesive tape. The last I heard is that Post-It notes adhesive is a trade
secret and not for sale.

I have bought Post-It type adhesive in a dispenser for rolling on to plain
paper.The trade name "Pelikan" rings a bell.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Jan 2017 13:34:49 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

The sort of pad where you just pull a page away from the top backing. What
sort of glue is used?

I don't know, but I do know that the technique, when applied to a
book, is called "Perfect Binding".

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The sort of pad where you just pull a page away from the top backing. What
sort of glue is used?

I don't know, but I do know that the technique, when applied to a
book, is called "Perfect Binding".

Nope, a perfect bound book is most often seen with paperbacks.

Quite different to how writing pads are done. You can't get the pages
out of a paperback in the same way you can with a writing pad.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Andrew Wrote in message:
The sort of pad where you just pull a page away from the top backing. What
sort of glue is used?

Synthetic rubber latex..

When I left school I had a summer job at BP plastics where they
made all the raw materials used by the paint manufacturers
and stuff like kitchen towels and loo paper.

The two leaves of a two-ply paper roll were glued together
with a synthetic rubber latex and there were thousands
of variations for all manner of applications.

The research lab at BP plastics concocted all these
formulations and had pre-production test rigs to
try them out.

testing paint formulations for UV stability, mechanical
resistance, opacity and more was all part of their
service. You could spend an entire career just on
paint formulations.

Indeed. A relative spent most of their career working /looking for
non-yellowing white paint, still coy about whether they found the
answer...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The sort of pad where you just pull a page away from the top backing. What
sort of glue is used?

I don't know, but I do know that the technique, when applied to a
book, is called "Perfect Binding".

Nope, a perfect bound book is most often seen with paperbacks.

Quite different to how writing pads are done. You can't get the pages
out of a paperback in the same way you can with a writing pad.

but Rod doesn't know why.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The sort of pad where you just pull a page away from the top backing.
What
sort of glue is used?

I don't know, but I do know that the technique, when applied to a
book, is called "Perfect Binding".

Nope, a perfect bound book is most often seen with paperbacks.

Quite different to how writing pads are done. You can't get the pages
out of a paperback in the same way you can with a writing pad.

but Rod doesn't know why.

You're wrong, as always.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Very bad glue I seem to recall an urban myth that post it note glue was a
failed development for some years until somebody found a use for it.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
The sort of pad where you just pull a page away from the top backing. What
sort of glue is used?

--
*The longest recorded flightof a chicken is thirteen seconds *

Dave Plowman
London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Very bad glue

Nope, very good glue for post it notes.

I seem to recall an urban myth that post it note glue was a failed
development for some years until somebody found a use for it.

Yep, and then it left the alternatives for dead.

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
The sort of pad where you just pull a page away from the top backing.
What
sort of glue is used?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2017 03:11, jim wrote:
Andrew Wrote in message:
[...]

The answer used to be lead oxide, and then that was replaced by
Titanium Dioxide, which in turn is getting expensive so other
materials are now used as well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2017 20:36, Dave W wrote:
"Malcolm Race" wrote in message
news
The sort of pad where you just pull a page away from the top backing.
What
sort of glue is used?

Stick It

Comes in a roll with (if needed) an applicator. Apply to the sheet of
paper and it gives a removable bond. Also available as a permanent glue

Malcolm

Could you give more details? The only Stick-It I can find is double sided
adhesive tape. The last I heard is that Post-It notes adhesive is a trade
secret and not for sale.

Pritt stick ?. or this :-

http://kk.org/cooltools/scotch-resticka/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Andrew Wrote in message:
On 09/01/2017 03:11, jim wrote:
Andrew Wrote in message:
[...]

Indeed.
I suspect it has been looked into far more extensively.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 9 January 2017 19:37:02 UTC, Andrew wrote:
On 09/01/2017 03:11, jim wrote:
Andrew Wrote in message:

The research lab at BP plastics concocted all these
formulations and had pre-production test rigs to
try them out.

testing paint formulations for UV stability, mechanical
resistance, opacity and more was all part of their
service. You could spend an entire career just on
paint formulations.

Indeed. A relative spent most of their career working /looking for
non-yellowing white paint, still coy about whether they found the
answer...

The answer used to be lead oxide, and then that was replaced by
Titanium Dioxide, which in turn is getting expensive so other
materials are now used as well.

The problem is more the binder than the pigment.

NT