Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Room lighting advice needed

Finally got around to converting the old playroom into a pool room. Love it!

Last thing left to sort out is the lighting - see diagram he
http://tinypic.com/r/2lmqnnn/9

The room is quite long and narrow, and I have two ceiling roses near the
centre of the room, on separate switches - one for the room light, one
for the pool table.

My ideal solution would be a long track (or a track "system") fixed to
the ceiling that allows me to add several lights to, positioning 3 above
the pool table (pointing directly downwards), and the others used to
light the room.

Unfortunately I was unable to find anything suitable at either a
reasonable price AND with light that can point directly downwards.

An alternative solution (as in the diagram) would be to have 3 spot
light above the pool table, and a centre light for the room.

The current room light looks like this - http://tinypic.com/r/ojqz4y/9
3 x 60W bulbs that provide very poor illumination. The new light needs
to be as close to the ceiling as possible and as small as possible so as
to not create a shadow on the table from the spot light nearest to it.

Ideally some sort of LED lighting that can be pointed in different
directions will be best - maybe something like these (neither look
bright enough though):

http://www.screwfix.com/p/saxby-pale...ome-240v/4715j
http://www.screwfix.com/p/zinc-4-lig...hite-50w/21861

We don't use the room for anything rather than playing pool (often),
watching TV (very occasionally) and using the treadmill (daily), so it
doesn't have to be too bright. There are also sockets everywhere, so we
can always add a floor standing light if needed (for reading etc).

Any suggestion will be much appreciated!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 31 December 2016 20:49:07 UTC, JoeJoe wrote:
Finally got around to converting the old playroom into a pool room. Love it!

Depends how much you want to spend, pool table lights are about £100 eg

https://www.libertygames.co.uk/store...oker-lighting/

If you want it moveable, then TLC do mains track which can have track adapters, run the track over the table, fit the track adapters and flexes with lampholders and 'coolie shades' which are quite cheap

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GL29W.html

Variety of light fittings available for that track including 100 watt halogen and CFL

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/2016 20:48, JoeJoe wrote:

Ideally some sort of LED lighting that can be pointed in different
directions will be best - maybe something like these (neither look
bright enough though):

http://www.screwfix.com/p/saxby-pale...ome-240v/4715j

http://www.screwfix.com/p/zinc-4-lig...hite-50w/21861

We don't use the room for anything rather than playing pool (often),
watching TV (very occasionally) and using the treadmill (daily), so it
doesn't have to be too bright. There are also sockets everywhere, so we
can always add a floor standing light if needed (for reading etc).

Any suggestion will be much appreciated!

How about a LED panel light above the table:

https://trade.ledhut.co.uk/commercia...r-bracket.html

Gives very good even lighting with no shadows.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2017 09:04, John Rumm wrote:
On 31/12/2016 20:48, JoeJoe wrote:

Ideally some sort of LED lighting that can be pointed in different
directions will be best - maybe something like these (neither look
bright enough though):

http://www.screwfix.com/p/saxby-pale...ome-240v/4715j

http://www.screwfix.com/p/zinc-4-lig...hite-50w/21861

We don't use the room for anything rather than playing pool (often),
watching TV (very occasionally) and using the treadmill (daily), so it
doesn't have to be too bright. There are also sockets everywhere, so we
can always add a floor standing light if needed (for reading etc).

Any suggestion will be much appreciated!

How about a LED panel light above the table:

https://trade.ledhut.co.uk/commercia...r-bracket.html

Gives very good even lighting with no shadows.

Thanks, this was my original plan, and I'd even bought a similar light
to the one suggested. Unfortunately it really
dominated the room, and because it has to be hanged immediately in front
of you as you entered the room, it blocked your view completely.

Anyway, The Boss didn't approve, so he had to go back to the shop ;-(
Hence the search for an alternative.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Consider some walls for general illumination.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 1 January 2017 09:58:58 UTC, JoeJoe wrote:
Unfortunately it really
dominated the room, and because it has to be hanged immediately in front
of you as you entered the room, it blocked your view completely.

Rise-and-fall pendant you can pull down for pool and push out of the sightline for general illumination or when not in use?

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 31 December 2016 20:49:07 UTC, JoeJoe wrote:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/zinc-4-lig...hite-50w/21861

You can get 8 lamp spotbars

https://www.lightingstyles.co.uk/cei...o-8-spotlights

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Your question leaves pretty well every option open.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 02/01/2017 00:09, wrote:
[...]

If it helps I have a kitchen 24 x 10 feet that had 9 x 60w halogens and
it was not great light. I replaced with 4 x 12w LED panels down the
centre line and wife loves it. The panels fit flush in to the ceiling.
And it is bright!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 02/01/2017 09:27, Tim Lamb wrote:
Ah! Useful. Would you kindly identify the fittings. We have a proposed
kitchen diner 11m x 3.6m (kitchen 5.5m) and I am currently stressing
about the lighting layout.

I just bought cheap ones on ebay and a couple spare.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTRASLIM-...3rhy2pCTuJ0UMQ

Before I did this permanently I hooked up a couple at one end to make
sure wife was ok with them before putting in to ceiling, I just tacked
them to the ceiling and connected to a plug temporarily.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ss
writes
On 02/01/2017 09:27, Tim Lamb wrote:
Ah! Useful. Would you kindly identify the fittings. We have a proposed
kitchen diner 11m x 3.6m (kitchen 5.5m) and I am currently stressing
about the lighting layout.

I just bought cheap ones on ebay and a couple spare.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTRASLIM-...sed-Ceiling-Pa
nel-Down-Lights-Warm-Day-White-UK-/131895644534?var=&hash=item1eb597d176
:m:mq8c3P46-3rhy2pCTuJ0UMQ

Before I did this permanently I hooked up a couple at one end to make
sure wife was ok with them before putting in to ceiling, I just tacked
them to the ceiling and connected to a plug temporarily.

1200 lumens/fitting. Gives an idea of what wives consider adequate:-)
Ta.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 January 2017 09:39:31 UTC, ss wrote:
I just bought cheap ones on ebay and a couple spare.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTRASLIM-...3rhy2pCTuJ0UMQ

methinks uk very good seller make falsehood about seller's business address.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
writes

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTRASLIM-...ssed-Ceiling-P
anel-Down-Lights-Warm-Day-White-UK-/131895644534?var=&hash=item1eb597d1
76:m:mq8c3P46-3rhy2pCTuJ0UMQ

methinks uk very good seller make falsehood about seller's business address.

You mean they are not really coming from Birmingham?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 January 2017 11:05:06 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:
methinks uk very good seller make falsehood about seller's business address.

You mean they are not really coming from Birmingham?

They're certainly not coming from the HM Revenue and Customs offices in Aberdeen AB10 1ZP which is the seller's disclosed business contact address!

Owain

Room lighting options Maury Markowitz Home Repair 2 November 2nd 07 12:11 PM
Advice for fitting TRVs, room stat needed Alan UK diy 2 October 29th 07 03:13 PM
Lighting a fixtureless room? Scott Gordo Home Repair 9 September 22nd 06 09:09 PM
led room lighting DavidD UK diy 3 February 1st 05 11:44 AM
Advice needed re fireplace and room heater shaz UK diy 3 December 30th 04 06:34 PM