Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Annoying Christmas presents

"Andrew" wrote in message
news
On 30/12/2016 12:44, Tim Watts wrote:
On 30/12/16 11:31, Andrew wrote:

My electric overblanket does the same. The instructions say do not
fold, but by morning it is bunched up around my feet.

Now I have attached it inside the duvet with nappy pins.
Problem solved.

Can you use duct tape to secure your socks to your legs ?, or buy
long socks that grip the bit of your leg just below the knee ?.

Sock braces

If they exist, I would like some ??

Eric Morcombe had no problem buying them ;-)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Graeme
writes
In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
I have been doing a lot of work in the house this year and needed
something suitable for around the house and fit to trapes back and
forward to my workshop in.

No one has said the dreaded words Marks and Spencer yet. I too wear my
slippers all day (with socks!), and traipse outside, shed, coal, garden
etc., and M&S ordinary, boring, traditional slippers just keep on doing
what they do best. I have at least three pairs, one of which is years
old, and covered in paint. The only other maker I would buy is Dunlop.

The 'style' that fits a slippers and pipe image :

http://www.theslippersshop.co.uk/men...corduroy-slipp
ers-navy-11014-p.asp

Ah yes. M+S mocassins. I only have one pair at a time so 12 months before
they crack at the point of maximum flexure.

they're getting worse though

my current pair haven't made it to six months before starting to crack, and
if you just looked at the upper you would think that they were still brand
new

I'm going to try some stick on soles :-(

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Saturday, 31 December 2016 11:24:17 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I've never quite understood the concept of slippers - except to have
clean
shoes only to be worn indoors.

I find it's handy to have something to slip my feet into when going from
bed to toilet etc.

People in *finished* houses might not need to bother, but in my place
there's a significant risk to treading on something sharp or unpleasant
underfoot.

even in finished houses there the risk of catching a toe on the edge of a
piece of furniture

done it a couple of times - bloody painful

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
On Sat, 31 Dec 2016 04:51:34 -0600, Mark Allread
wrote:

On Sat, 31 Dec 2016 10:11:25 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

Ah yes. M+S mocassins. I only have one pair at a time so 12 months
before they crack at the point of maximum flexure. They get a lot more
use than just round the house... fetching baskets of logs, taxi trips to
collect/deliver wife to station, securing farmyard gates last thing if
it is not raining....

Try John Cotton boat-shoes. They are cheaper and just as good.

Like yours, mine get a fair bit of in and outdoor use.

Ours didn't. ;-(

We bought a couple of pairs a while back for, well, 'boating' g and
when we went boating the other day (for the first time in a long time)
we dug them out.

The soles had turned from rubber into what felt like hard plastic and
if you tried to flex them even slightly they shattered!

I've seen the same sort of thing across a wide range of shoes
now (inc branded) so I'm wondering if it's the particular rubber

Yes it is.

or how they are stored (a reaction with something else possibly)?

Nope.

Some soles even have a warning on the box about it.

I had a major **** fight with a local manufacturer of boots.
I bought their boots long ago, in the late 70s but decided
that the very deep cleats in the sole were a complete pain
in the arse because in the wet weather, you brought mud
into the house in the cleats. I don't leave my boots outside,
I wear them all the time except when in bed or the shower
in winter. So I just got another pair without deep cleats in
the sole and wore those instead. Eventually I ended up
needing new boots after multiple sets of boots without
deep cleats in the sole. Since it was pretty dry, dug out
the ones with the very deep cleats and wore those. But
ended up with a massive great crack across the sole of
both boots in weeks, where it flexed most.

The manufacture raves on about the quality of their
boots on their web site so I told them about the problem
and they said to send them back and they would replace
them. When they got them they said that they hadn't made
those for years and refused to replace them. I pointed out
that they hadn't been worn for more than a couple of weeks
and that I was entitled to a replacement for that reason.
They just stonewalled on that.

They were stupid enough to name the CEO on their web site
so I rang the bugger and rubbed his nose in their claim that
they are about quality manufacture and said that I would be
rubbishing their boots in social media if I didn't get a
replacement. Eventually he decided that the easiest way
to get rid of me was to do what I wanted and sent me
a pair of their latest that was as close to the ones that
had died as he could find.

He did say that he hoped I wouldn't be leaving them lying
around for decades before wearing them which to me suggests
it's a known problem. I have since seen comments about that
on the box with some other boots.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/12/16 11:31, Andrew wrote:

My electric overblanket does the same. The instructions say do not
fold, but by morning it is bunched up around my feet.

Now I have attached it inside the duvet with nappy pins.
Problem solved.

Can you use duct tape to secure your socks to your legs ?, or buy
long socks that grip the bit of your leg just below the knee ?.

Sock braces

If they exist, I would like some ??

Yes they do, called suspenders.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garter...)#Garter_belts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Dec 2016 12:18:36 -0000, Graeme wrote:

In message , Chris Green
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
As covered in the thread on why carpet mats move about, these slippers
have a carpet like lining. Drawing over the foot orientates the mat
strands towards the toes and they spend the rest of the day ratcheting
the sock in the same direction:-(

I don't think you're supposed to wear socks with slippers! :-)

Blimey. I wear socks and slippers all day, every day, only putting
outdoor shoes on to walk the dog or pop to the shops.

Haven't you got carpets in the house? What's wrong with bare feet?

--
An expert is someone who takes a subject you understand and makes it sound confusing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-12-30, Graeme wrote:
In message , Chris Green
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
As covered in the thread on why carpet mats move about, these slippers
have a carpet like lining. Drawing over the foot orientates the mat
strands towards the toes and they spend the rest of the day ratcheting
the sock in the same direction:-(

I don't think you're supposed to wear socks with slippers! :-)

Blimey. I wear socks and slippers all day, every day, only putting
outdoor shoes on to walk the dog or pop to the shops.

This. Except for the dog. We don't have a dog.

I was once camped next to a Cockney on a campsite, who got very confused whenever he found someone didn't own a dog.

--
Five out of four Americans have trouble with fractions.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
Andrew wrote:
On 30/12/2016 15:06, Capitol wrote:
Andrew wrote:

My electric overblanket does the same. The instructions say do not
fold, but by morning it is bunched up around my feet.

Now I have attached it inside the duvet with nappy pins.
Problem solved.

Can you use duct tape to secure your socks to your legs ?, or buy
long socks that grip the bit of your leg just below the knee ?.

It now seems impossible to buy a proper electric overblanket. All
the new ones are far too small, low powered and turn themselves off when
they think you should get up! I've totally failed to find a Superking
sized blanket which even claims to fit the bed. I have a couple of US
ones, these are equally useless, with operating temperatures way below
the tropical levels I require.

https://www.beurer.com/web/uk/produc..._objectID=7390

I have one of these. They come in double and gigantic
sizes.

Don't forget the nappy pins :-)

They power off after 12 hours which should be OK for most
people, and it's easy to just set the slider to off and
then back on for another 12 hours.

Put it on setting 8 an hour before bedtime and the bed
is really toasty. Then you are supposed to set it back to
setting 1 when you get in. If you forget and leave it at 8
then you certainly won't fall asleep by mistake, too hot.

Thanks, but they don't do Superking size

Are you that utterly obese ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Dec 2016 20:37:21 +0000, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
On Saturday, 31 December 2016 11:24:17 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I've never quite understood the concept of slippers - except to have
clean shoes only to be worn indoors.

I find it's handy to have something to slip my feet into when going
from bed to toilet etc.

People in *finished* houses might not need to bother, but in my place
there's a significant risk to treading on something sharp or unpleasant
underfoot.

even in finished houses there the risk of catching a toe on the edge of
a piece of furniture

done it a couple of times - bloody painful

Then there's BS1363 plugs. And Lego.

And squishing a large slug between the toes.

I use sheepskin moccasins (skin for sole too). Usable for short trips
outdoors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Dec 2016 20:32:51 +0000, tim... wrote:

my current pair haven't made it to six months before starting to crack,
and if you just looked at the upper you would think that they were still
brand new

These?

https://goo.gl/3ukbDL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sat, 31 Dec 2016 20:32:51 +0000, tim... wrote:

my current pair haven't made it to six months before starting to crack,
and if you just looked at the upper you would think that they were still
brand new

These?

https://goo.gl/3ukbDL

I buy the ones without the fur on the inside

The current soles with "the early bird catches the worm" on them (go figure)
are ****e

the same uppers with the previous design of sole on them, wore out uniformly

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 30 Dec 2016 12:18:36 -0000, Graeme
wrote:

In message , Chris Green
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
As covered in the thread on why carpet mats move about, these slippers
have a carpet like lining. Drawing over the foot orientates the mat
strands towards the toes and they spend the rest of the day ratcheting
the sock in the same direction:-(

I don't think you're supposed to wear socks with slippers! :-)

Blimey. I wear socks and slippers all day, every day, only putting
outdoor shoes on to walk the dog or pop to the shops.

Haven't you got carpets in the house? What's wrong with bare feet?

I'm a wimp

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-12-30, Graeme wrote:
In message , Chris Green
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
As covered in the thread on why carpet mats move about, these slippers
have a carpet like lining. Drawing over the foot orientates the mat
strands towards the toes and they spend the rest of the day ratcheting
the sock in the same direction:-(

I don't think you're supposed to wear socks with slippers! :-)

Blimey. I wear socks and slippers all day, every day, only putting
outdoor shoes on to walk the dog or pop to the shops.

This. Except for the dog. We don't have a dog.

I was once camped next to a Cockney on a campsite, who got very confused
whenever he found someone didn't own a dog.

was that a Cockney Spaniel?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 01 Jan 2017 00:05:37 -0000, tim... wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 30 Dec 2016 12:18:36 -0000, Graeme
wrote:

In message , Chris Green
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
As covered in the thread on why carpet mats move about, these slippers
have a carpet like lining. Drawing over the foot orientates the mat
strands towards the toes and they spend the rest of the day ratcheting
the sock in the same direction:-(

I don't think you're supposed to wear socks with slippers! :-)

Blimey. I wear socks and slippers all day, every day, only putting
outdoor shoes on to walk the dog or pop to the shops.

Haven't you got carpets in the house? What's wrong with bare feet?

I'm a wimp

There is no excuse for that.

--
A Irish family is sitting in the living room.
The wife turns to the husband and says, "Let's send the kids out back to p-l-a-y , so we can ****."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-12-30, Graeme wrote:
In message , Chris Green
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
As covered in the thread on why carpet mats move about, these slippers
have a carpet like lining. Drawing over the foot orientates the mat
strands towards the toes and they spend the rest of the day ratcheting
the sock in the same direction:-(

I don't think you're supposed to wear socks with slippers! :-)

Blimey. I wear socks and slippers all day, every day, only putting
outdoor shoes on to walk the dog or pop to the shops.

This. Except for the dog. We don't have a dog.

I was once camped next to a Cockney on a campsite, who got very confused
whenever he found someone didn't own a dog.

was that a Cockney Spaniel?

Have you consumed as much vodka as me?

--
In Today's Market Activity, Helium was up. Feathers were down. Paper was stationary. Fluorescent tubing was dimmed in light trading. Knives were up sharply. Cows steered into a bull market. Pencils lost a few points. Hiking equipment was trailing. Elevators rose, while escalators continued their slow decline. Weights were up in heavy trading. Light switches were off. Mining equipment hit rock bottom. Diapers remain unchanged. Shipping lines stayed at an even keel. The market for raisins dried up. Coca Cola fizzled. Caterpillar stock inched up a bit. Sun peaked at midday. Balloon prices were inflated. And, Scott Tissue touched a new bottom. Invest wisely!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Green" wrote in message
Tim Lamb wrote:

The slippers were unwrapped and appeared to conform exactly as
requested. Except.... they removed (as in took off) my socks!

As covered in the thread on why carpet mats move about, these slippers
have a carpet like lining. Drawing over the foot orientates the mat
strands towards the toes and they spend the rest of the day ratcheting
the sock in the same direction:-(

I don't think you're supposed to wear socks with slippers! :-)

I dont believe that with those who come home, take off the
shoes that they wore outside and replace them with slippers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-12-30, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

[27 lines snipped]

I now need something warmer than jeans.

Flannel lined jeans;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=sv_to...de=11360243031

Didn’t realise it was a cross dresser.

(Other retailers are available.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Huge wrote:
Some years ago, my wife expressed a desire for a dog. I conducted a
long, very subtle and ultimately successful campaign to induce her to
talk herself out of it.

Was that instead of a turkey for Christmas dinner ?
:-)

Alan

--

Using an ARMX6
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

[...]

Thanks, but they don't do Superking size and claim to turn off after 3
hours. I wonder if the spec has changed.

Have two side by side ??.

If you click on the item and look at the detailed spec it says 12 hours,
(which mine does) so I guess the 3 hour figure is a typo.

You could even have an underblanket and an overblanket if you were
desperate, but I would be thinking that you might have a medical
problem if you are that cold.

Why hasn't anyone invented a bed that connects into the central
heating system yet ?. Ideal option for a water bed ??. It could
double up as the hot water tank :-).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-12-30, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

[27 lines snipped]

I now need something warmer than jeans.

Flannel lined jeans;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=sv_to...de=11360243031

(Other retailers are available.)

http://www.rohan.co.uk/mens-travel-a...ocode=00485116
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
Why hasn't anyone invented a bed that connects into the central
heating system yet ?. Ideal option for a water bed ??. It could
double up as the hot water tank :-).

I use the central heating to keep the bedroom at a reasonable temperture.
Don't then need an electric blanket. ;-)

--
*I used up all my sick days so I called in dead

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Andrew wrote:
Why hasn't anyone invented a bed that connects into the central
heating system yet ?. Ideal option for a water bed ??. It could
double up as the hot water tank :-).

I use the central heating to keep the bedroom at a reasonable temperture.
Don't then need an electric blanket. ;-)

Sounds too expensive to me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 1 January 2017 05:03:04 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Flannel lined jeans;

Didnt realise it was a cross dresser.

Cross? I'd be absolutely livid!

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/30/2016 11:22 AM, Chris Green wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:

The slippers were unwrapped and appeared to conform exactly as
requested. Except.... they removed (as in took off) my socks!

As covered in the thread on why carpet mats move about, these slippers
have a carpet like lining. Drawing over the foot orientates the mat
strands towards the toes and they spend the rest of the day ratcheting
the sock in the same direction:-(

I don't think you're supposed to wear socks with slippers! :-)

I thought that was sandals.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-12-31, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking Huge wrote :
This. Except for the dog. We don't have a dog.

If you feel the need, I could loan you one or two

Some years ago, my wife expressed a desire for a dog. I conducted a
long, very subtle and ultimately successful campaign to induce her to
talk herself out of it.

I simply said NO.

Peter

Doesn't work with mine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

Chris Green wrote:

I don't think you're supposed to wear socks with slippers! :-)

I thought that was sandals.

And I say "********!" to that one because oddly, sandals hurt my feet
without socks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
newshound wrote:

Chris Green wrote:

I don't think you're supposed to wear socks with slippers! :-)

I thought that was sandals.

And I say "********!" to that one because oddly, sandals hurt my feet
without socks.

me too

I don't get how it is supposed to work either

However, I solve the problem by never wearing sandals

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
On 2016-12-30, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

[27 lines snipped]

I now need something warmer than jeans.

Flannel lined jeans;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=sv_to...de=11360243031

(Other retailers are available.)

http://www.rohan.co.uk/mens-travel-a...ocode=00485116

Stupid price.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Flannel lined jeans;

Didnt realise it was a cross dresser.

Cross? I'd be absolutely livid!

You always are. With a bit of luck you'll burst something!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...
On 2016-12-31, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
After serious thinking Huge wrote :
This. Except for the dog. We don't have a dog.

If you feel the need, I could loan you one or two

Some years ago, my wife expressed a desire for a dog. I conducted a
long, very subtle and ultimately successful campaign to induce her to
talk herself out of it.

I simply said NO.

Doesn't work with mine.

Then you should replace her.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
newshound wrote:

Chris Green wrote:

I don't think you're supposed to wear socks with slippers! :-)

I thought that was sandals.

And I say "********!" to that one because oddly, sandals hurt my feet
without socks.

me too

I don't get how it is supposed to work either

However, I solve the problem by never wearing sandals

tim

I use Lidl's fleece lined Crocs. Good for indoors, and also out if dry
weather.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

o.uk...
On 2016-12-31, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
After serious thinking Huge wrote :
This. Except for the dog. We don't have a dog.

If you feel the need, I could loan you one or two

Some years ago, my wife expressed a desire for a dog. I conducted a
long, very subtle and ultimately successful campaign to induce her to
talk herself out of it.

I simply said NO.

Doesn't work with mine.

Then you should replace her.

do they sell them in M&S as well

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 2016-12-31, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking Huge wrote :
This. Except for the dog. We don't have a dog.

If you feel the need, I could loan you one or two

Some years ago, my wife expressed a desire for a dog. I conducted a
long, very subtle and ultimately successful campaign to induce her to
talk herself out of it.

I simply said NO.

Oh, that would just have caused resentment. I didn't want a dog,

but I wanted her to decide that for herself.

That's it - spill the beans.

You know that women might read this newsgroup and get ideas of their own!

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 January 2017 14:44:02 UTC, ARW wrote:
You know that women might read this newsgroup

.... before shaking their heads in bewilderment and skipping away to the relative safety of mummysnet for the big decisions of teddybears or bunnyrabbits for the wallpaper (probably choosing bunnyrabbits in the hope little Joshua will grow up to be a vet)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message
news

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

o.uk...
On 2016-12-31, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
After serious thinking Huge wrote :
This. Except for the dog. We don't have a dog.

If you feel the need, I could loan you one or two

Some years ago, my wife expressed a desire for a dog. I conducted a
long, very subtle and ultimately successful campaign to induce her to
talk herself out of it.

I simply said NO.

Doesn't work with mine.

Then you should replace her.

do they sell them in M&S as well

Nope, they sell themselves in various social media, stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Monday, 2 January 2017 14:44:02 UTC, ARW wrote:
You know that women might read this newsgroup

... before shaking their heads in bewilderment and skipping away to the
relative safety of mummysnet for the big decisions of teddybears or
bunnyrabbits for the wallpaper (probably choosing bunnyrabbits in the
hope little Joshua will grow up to be a vet)

More likely is they'd come here hoping to read about DIY topics. ;-)

--
*One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.