Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anti-condensatin paint - does it work?

We have a few places on our small boat which suffer from serious
condensation. They are basically the few places where there is just a
sheet of metal (4mm thick) between outside and inside. On these
places inside, especially now in the winter, it runs with water.

Will 'anti-condensation paint' help or do I need something more like
some sort of plastic foam insulation. I don't want to stick expanded
polystyrene there but some sort of flexible stick on foam would be OK.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/16 12:12, Chris Green wrote:
We have a few places on our small boat which suffer from serious
condensation. They are basically the few places where there is just a
sheet of metal (4mm thick) between outside and inside. On these
places inside, especially now in the winter, it runs with water.

Will 'anti-condensation paint' help

no.

or do I need something more like
some sort of plastic foam insulation.

yes.

I don't want to stick expanded
polystyrene there but some sort of flexible stick on foam would be OK.

anything that has some kind of decent U value...actually you may be
surprised at how good cork wall tiles are.

I lined a single brick kitchen with them once - hell of a difference.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 16 December 2016 10:26:43 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 16/12/16 12:12, Chris Green wrote:
We have a few places on our small boat which suffer from serious
condensation. They are basically the few places where there is just a
sheet of metal (4mm thick) between outside and inside. On these
places inside, especially now in the winter, it runs with water.

Will 'anti-condensation paint' help

no.

or do I need something more like
some sort of plastic foam insulation.

yes.

I don't want to stick expanded
polystyrene there but some sort of flexible stick on foam would be OK.

anything that has some kind of decent U value...actually you may be
surprised at how good cork wall tiles are.

I lined a single brick kitchen with them once - hell of a difference.

Use something impermeable or it'll end up saturating.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/16 12:12, Chris Green wrote:
We have a few places on our small boat which suffer from serious
condensation. They are basically the few places where there is just a
sheet of metal (4mm thick) between outside and inside. On these
places inside, especially now in the winter, it runs with water.

Will 'anti-condensation paint' help

no.

or do I need something more like
some sort of plastic foam insulation.

yes.

I don't want to stick expanded
polystyrene there but some sort of flexible stick on foam would be OK.

anything that has some kind of decent U value...actually you may be
surprised at how good cork wall tiles are.

I lined a single brick kitchen with them once - hell of a difference.

When did you last see them on sale though ?. Very 1970's and now cork
flooring has become a bit pricy. The stuff that car manufacturers use
under the bonnet of diesel car might be better.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, December 16, 2016 at 8:07:26 PM UTC, Andrew wrote:
[...]

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Seale...ack-9/p/620950

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 17 December 2016 02:26:54 UTC, Adam Aglionby wrote:
[...]

£12 a sqm for 1/8" thick. Not the cheapest. IIRC The Range does tiles twice the thickness and same price per cube.

But I don't think cork is impermeable, so will fail in this case.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Seale...-x-305mm-Pack-
9/p/620950

£12 a sqm for 1/8" thick. Not the cheapest. IIRC The Range does tiles
twice the thickness and same price per cube.

But I don't think cork is impermeable, so will fail in this case.

NT

It would be bad news for wine if it weren't.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Surely the whole issue is due to the thermal conduction issue. Water as it
cools loses the ability to hold moisture, so any cold surfaces will get
condensation as you breath out and transpire water as sweat.
You have to allow the metal to be cold whilst keeping the warm are away
from it as much as possible.

Paint is not a good idea, a lot of that stuff is only anti condensation in
that it does not start to grow mould or come off, it still is cold and will
still get water on it. You have to have layers of insulation.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Chris Green" wrote in message
We have a few places on our small boat which suffer from serious
condensation. They are basically the few places where there is just a
sheet of metal (4mm thick) between outside and inside. On these
places inside, especially now in the winter, it runs with water.

Will 'anti-condensation paint' help or do I need something more like
some sort of plastic foam insulation. I don't want to stick expanded
polystyrene there but some sort of flexible stick on foam would be OK.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/2016 10:12, Chris Green wrote:
We have a few places on our small boat which suffer from serious
condensation. They are basically the few places where there is just a
sheet of metal (4mm thick) between outside and inside. On these
places inside, especially now in the winter, it runs with water.

If these are not flat surfaces and you need something flexible the
insulation sold to fit behind radiators might work - so long as you seal
the edges with foam, caulk, frame sealant[1] etc to stop air getting
behind it. Eg www.toolstation.com/shop/p26805 and
www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Thermal-Insulation-Foil-Roll-600mmx8m/p/210022

[1] possibly Geocell "The Works" or the like used also to stick the
stuff on - assuming getting the surface dry might be a bit of a
challenge at this time of year
--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 10:12:02 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

I don't want to stick expanded
polystyrene there but some sort of flexible stick on foam would be OK.

You need to get the inside surface warmer than the dew point of the air near it,
and ideally also make sure that no air can get behind the insulation, where
moisture would condense and waterlog the insulation.

I'd doubt that any paint would provide sufficient insulation...

AIUI a foam useful for this are the cheap foam mats sold in a roll, for under
sleeping bags, also called exercise mats, EVA pad, etc. Different thicknesses
available, flexible, closed-cell foam, waterproof.

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, December 16, 2016 at 10:16:06 AM UTC, Chris Green wrote:
We have a few places on our small boat which suffer from serious
condensation. They are basically the few places where there is just a
sheet of metal (4mm thick) between outside and inside. On these
places inside, especially now in the winter, it runs with water.

Will 'anti-condensation paint' help or do I need something more like
some sort of plastic foam insulation. I don't want to stick expanded
polystyrene there but some sort of flexible stick on foam would be OK.

--
Chris Green
·

If you have mains electric buy a small de-humififier and run its outlet into the sink or the heads.

At the least get pelnty of ventilation open.

Anti vandal paint James Wilkinson UK diy 10 June 21st 16 09:58 PM
Anti- climb paint mogga UK diy 0 March 28th 12 08:17 AM
Anti RFI ferrite rings - do they work? N_Cook Electronics Repair 12 March 4th 10 09:00 AM
Anti WI-FI Paint azotic Metalworking 6 October 7th 09 02:03 PM
anti condensation paint Andrew UK diy 1 February 21st 06 02:27 PM