Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Clip on microphone

Many time on TV it looks like clip on lapel microphones appear to
have the lead coming out of the top - ie. upside down to my way of
thinking.

Is this the case? If so, why?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
Many time on TV it looks like clip on lapel microphones appear to
have the lead coming out of the top - ie. upside down to my way of
thinking.

Is this the case? If so, why?

They are omni-directional microphones - so don't have a front or whatever.
Mounting them 'upside down' makes them less prone to 'popping' from breath
if the speaker bends their head down. A windshield would do the same - but
makes the mic more obtrusive.

--
*Middle age is when work is a lot less fun - and fun a lot more work.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

To stop folk spitting into them and making popping noises usually, many are
omni directional anyway. Also when I use them it also stops such loud
clothing noises coming through from furry collars and beards etc, if they
get put on to high up.

They are not an ideal solution of course but tv like them cos they are fast
to set up, and I like them as when we used normal mics the readers always
managed to find a way to bash them when reading.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
Many time on TV it looks like clip on lapel microphones appear to
have the lead coming out of the top - ie. upside down to my way of
thinking.

Is this the case? If so, why?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian-Gaff" wrote in
news
To stop folk spitting into them and making popping noises usually,
many are omni directional anyway. Also when I use them it also stops
such loud clothing noises coming through from furry collars and beards
etc, if they get put on to high up.

They are not an ideal solution of course but tv like them cos they are
fast to set up, and I like them as when we used normal mics the
readers always managed to find a way to bash them when reading.
Brian

Thanks - always surprised there is no clothing sounds. When I messed about
a bit with tape recorders years ago anything would make a noise that
spoiled the recording.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
"Brian-Gaff" wrote in
news

To stop folk spitting into them and making popping noises usually,
many are omni directional anyway. Also when I use them it also stops
such loud clothing noises coming through from furry collars and beards
etc, if they get put on to high up.

They are not an ideal solution of course but tv like them cos they are
fast to set up, and I like them as when we used normal mics the
readers always managed to find a way to bash them when reading.
Brian

Thanks - always surprised there is no clothing sounds. When I messed
about a bit with tape recorders years ago anything would make a noise
that spoiled the recording.

There often is clothing noise when used on drama. With the mic concealed
under clothing. But they still use them because it's the cheapest way of
doing things. Not the best way.

--
*A fool and his money can throw one hell of a party.