Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Nice use for alarm cable

Found this one today whilst fixing some motorized gates.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Fileoorentry1.jpg

at one end and

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Fileoorentry2.jpg

at the other end.

And this is a general mishmash shot of what I had to work on

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Fileoorenrty3.jpg

I am sure there is a technical term for doing such a bad job but I
cannot thing of it ATM.

Problem solved - the reflective sensors were out of alignment.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 18:58:42 +0000, ARW
wrote:

Found this one today whilst fixing some motorized gates.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Fileoorentry1.jpg

at one end and

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Fileoorentry2.jpg

at the other end.

And this is a general mishmash shot of what I had to work on

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Fileoorenrty3.jpg

I am sure there is a technical term for doing such a bad job but I
cannot thing of it ATM.

I think it must be the way such things are typically done as the two
I've dealt with were exactly the same.

Nothing fixed in place, nothing labeled up, wire colours changing mid
length, no user manual, let alone a wiring diagram ... ;-(

In both cases I managed to create my own diagram and with a bit of
Googling, find out what some of the less obvious bits did and got them
going (one was a broken wire and the other needed a new component
(door entry phone or summat)).

Problem solved - the reflective sensors were out of alignment.

Result. ;-)

Did yours also start with ''oh, while you are here, could you have a
quick look at this ..."?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 15 December 2016 18:58:23 UTC, ARW wrote:
Found this one today whilst fixing some motorized gates.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Fileoorentry1.jpg

What was the separation between mains and ELV?

Why is a black wire connected into g/y wires - earth? or not?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

[...]

Oh yes.

Can you fit a chandelier as I have new staircase?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:Spiral1.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:Spiral2.jpg

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 15/12/2016 20:06, wrote:
On Thursday, 15 December 2016 18:58:23 UTC, ARW wrote:
Found this one today whilst fixing some motorized gates.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Fileoorentry1.jpg

What was the separation between mains and ELV?

Very little.

Why is a black wire connected into g/y wires - earth? or not?

The one with two g/y wires connected to it? Probably an earth.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW writes:
On 15/12/2016 19:45, T i m wrote:
Did yours also start with ''oh, while you are here, could you have a
quick look at this ..."?

Oh yes.

Can you fit a chandelier as I have new staircase?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:Spiral1.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:Spiral2.jpg

I'm reminded of this...
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!ms...o/D3tnYHO6oHIJ

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cannot see the pics but.
Is your house alarmed? Alarmed, its bloody terrified!

Sorry.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"ARW" wrote in message
Found this one today whilst fixing some motorized gates.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Fileoorentry1.jpg

at one end and

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Fileoorentry2.jpg

at the other end.

And this is a general mishmash shot of what I had to work on

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Fileoorenrty3.jpg

I am sure there is a technical term for doing such a bad job but I cannot
thing of it ATM.

Problem solved - the reflective sensors were out of alignment.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , ARW adamwadsworth@bl
ueyonder.co.uk escribió:

Found this one today whilst fixing some motorized gates.

Ooh, lovely. Mason levels of incompetence. It's the sort of thing I
find done by Spanish sparkies out here.

The AC input in the first one is marked "Alim" (alimentation) - 'supply'
- which suggests it's of Spanish or French make.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian-Gaff wrote

Cannot see the pics but.
Is your house alarmed? Alarmed, its bloody terrified!

Nope, just very confused by the mess of wiring.

Sorry.

I'd have you publicly flogged if you
hadn't enjoyed it so much the last time...

"ARW" wrote in message
Found this one today whilst fixing some motorized gates.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Fileoorentry1.jpg

at one end and

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Fileoorentry2.jpg

at the other end.

And this is a general mishmash shot of what I had to work on

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Fileoorenrty3.jpg

I am sure there is a technical term for doing such a bad job but I cannot
thing of it ATM.

Problem solved - the reflective sensors were out of alignment.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-12-15, wrote:

On Thursday, 15 December 2016 18:58:23 UTC, ARW wrote:
Found this one today whilst fixing some motorized gates.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Fileoorentry1.jpg

What was the separation between mains and ELV?

A big airgap? It works for busbars...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 15/12/2016 21:42, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
ARW writes:
On 15/12/2016 19:45, T i m wrote:
Did yours also start with ''oh, while you are here, could you have a
quick look at this ..."?

Oh yes.

Can you fit a chandelier as I have new staircase?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:Spiral1.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:Spiral2.jpg

I'm reminded of this...
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!ms...o/D3tnYHO6oHIJ

A staircase like the one Adam photographed could take a really massive
lamp. The sort that extends downwards over 2 storeys and pretty much
fills the space between the staircases. That could need a team of people
just to lift it.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...8b9080af32.jpg

For example.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Hang a few LED tubes down from the ceiling.
Most only need power from one end.

;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/2016 05:52, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Cannot see the pics but.
Is your house alarmed? Alarmed, its bloody terrified!

Sorry.
Brian

Its a mess of 6 core alarm wire,
some used for 12v some for mains,
maybe some for video and audio.

Its hard to say, even those of us that can see the photo.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

ARW writes:
On 15/12/2016 19:45, T i m wrote:
Did yours also start with ''oh, while you are here, could you have a
quick look at this ..."?

Oh yes.

Can you fit a chandelier as I have new staircase?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:Spiral1.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:Spiral2.jpg

I'm reminded of this...
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!ms...o/D3tnYHO6oHIJ

A staircase like the one Adam photographed could take a really massive
lamp. The sort that extends downwards over 2 storeys and pretty much
fills the space between the staircases. That could need a team of people
just to lift it.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...8b9080af32.jpg

For example.

Thank you. That is exactly what it needs.

Any idea where you can buy that light?

The customer wanted ideas on what to buy. And he likes that one.

The team of people is not a problem - although I would try to use
catenary wire or rope and have it pulled up from the loft.

And I would probably fit a massive noggin and not use plasterboard
fixing screws:-)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

ueyonder.co.uk escribió:

Found this one today whilst fixing some motorized gates.

Ooh, lovely. Mason levels of incompetence. It's the sort of thing I
find done by Spanish sparkies out here.

Better check you inbox for a better level of incompetence.

Add it to your forthcoming wall of shame that we are awaiting.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 16/12/16 18:39, ARW wrote:
On 16/12/2016 10:30, GB wrote:

Thank you. That is exactly what it needs.

Any idea where you can buy that light?

The customer wanted ideas on what to buy. And he likes that one.

The team of people is not a problem - although I would try to use
catenary wire or rope and have it pulled up from the loft.

And I would probably fit a massive noggin and not use plasterboard
fixing screws:-)

Not quite grand enough perhaps:

http://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-...hrome/p2543332

nor

http://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-...hrome/p2543325

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/2016 18:39, ARW wrote:

And I would probably fit a massive noggin and not use plasterboard
fixing screws:-)

Noggin my ass. You want a big fat beam sitting on the joists. Several
joists. And maybe a winch to pull it up - safe and easy.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/2016 21:32, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 16/12/2016 18:39, ARW wrote:

And I would probably fit a massive noggin and not use plasterboard
fixing screws:-)

Noggin my ass. You want a big fat beam sitting on the joists. Several
joists. And maybe a winch to pull it up - safe and easy.

I think a winch would be needed more for the routine cleaning and
occasional lamp changes. Unless someone's going to swing from the
chandelier.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote:
On 16/12/2016 18:39, ARW wrote:

And I would probably fit a massive noggin and not use plasterboard
fixing screws:-)

Noggin my ass. You want a big fat beam sitting on the joists. Several
joists. And maybe a winch to pull it up - safe and easy.

Andy

Nah. Wodge of NoMoreNails (or similar) should fix it. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW writes:

Alarm cable , how quaint, everyone knows that 2 strands of Cat5 is good for 10A @ 600V ;-)

On 15/12/2016 19:45, T i m wrote:
Did yours also start with ''oh, while you are here, could you have a
quick look at this ..."?

Oh yes.

Can you fit a chandelier as I have new staircase?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:Spiral1.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:Spiral2.jpg

I'm reminded of this...
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!ms...o/D3tnYHO6oHIJ

A staircase like the one Adam photographed could take a really massive
lamp. The sort that extends downwards over 2 storeys and pretty much
fills the space between the staircases. That could need a team of people
just to lift it.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...8b9080af32.jpg

For example.

Thank you. That is exactly what it needs.

Any idea where you can buy that light?

The customer wanted ideas on what to buy. And he likes that one.

google search by image leads to America

http://www.galileelighting.com/

Britain has some very good glass artists experienced with lighting, perhaps your client might consider commissioning something bespoke:

http://www.stuartwiltshireglass.co.uk/lighting/lighting

Dichroic glass used correctly can look very nice in a long drop.

If you go crystal , make sure its full lead crystal and not a cheaper alternative, full lead rainbow sparkles ages to graceful yellow, crystal glass just refracts and ages milky.

http://www.assayoffice.co.uk/latest-...lass-factsheet

Murano glass is used to make some spectacular modern and ,er, more traditional chandeliers.

3D LED acrylic sculpture on winches , I`m available ;-)

The team of people is not a problem - although I would try to use
catenary wire or rope and have it pulled up from the loft.

Tirfor time

And I would probably fit a massive noggin and not use plasterboard
fixing screws:-)

Get an engineer to sign it off, lot of weight.

Permanently mounted winch(s) in ceiling or ceiling hung frame that gets dressed from scaffolding. Either way it has to be cleaned every so often and lamps replaced. Someat like, at domestic size

http://www.bondshoists.com/?gclid=Cj...B58hoCRQTw_wcB

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 16 December 2016 10:30:55 UTC, GB wrote:

A staircase like the one Adam photographed could take a really massive
lamp. The sort that extends downwards over 2 storeys and pretty much
fills the space between the staircases. That could need a team of people
just to lift it.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...8b9080af32.jpg

For example.

I sure hope it's LED and the run real cool. In the days of filament that would have been a mare.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 17 December 2016 02:49:52 UTC, tabby wrote:
On Friday, 16 December 2016 10:30:55 UTC, GB wrote:

A staircase like the one Adam photographed could take a really massive
lamp. The sort that extends downwards over 2 storeys and pretty much
fills the space between the staircases. That could need a team of people
just to lift it.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...8b9080af32.jpg

For example.

I sure hope it's LED and the run real cool. In the days of filament that would have been a mare.

I'd expect anything that size to be likely a 1 off. Unless it's an ex town christmas decoration

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

yonder.co.uk escribió:

Better check you inbox for a better level of incompetence.

Received, thanks. Apart from the obvious faults, how is he going to get
the switch on and flush with the wall?

Add it to your forthcoming wall of shame that we are awaiting.

Yes, I haven't forgotten. Am at the t'other place atm. I wouldn't get
too excited, though.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
(")_(")
Posted to uk.d-i-y

lueyonder.co.uk escribió:

And I would probably fit a massive noggin and not use plasterboard
fixing screws:-)

It doesn't look like it would be that heavy. From a rough count, 120
lights. At a guess of ~40g per lamp, that's 4.8kg. Double that to
allow for the weight of the wires, add the base, and you get ~10kg.

So a noggin, yes, but maybe not "massive"?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
(")_(")
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 16/12/2016 18:39, ARW wrote:

And I would probably fit a massive noggin and not use plasterboard
fixing screws:-)

Noggin my ass. You want a big fat beam sitting on the joists. Several
joists. And maybe a winch to pull it up - safe and easy.

Just had a look at what I have available.

I have found a wench.

Will that do?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 16/12/2016 18:39, ARW wrote:

And I would probably fit a massive noggin and not use plasterboard
fixing screws:-)

Noggin my ass. You want a big fat beam sitting on the joists. Several
joists. And maybe a winch to pull it up - safe and easy.

If you ever get to Doncaster have a look at the winch I fitted in the
"lift shaft" at Angels Champagne bar.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 04:41:57 +0000, ARW
wrote:

joists. And maybe a winch to pull it up - safe and easy.

Just had a look at what I have available.

I have found a wench.

Will that do?

Depends if she is experienced in going out on the pull.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, December 17, 2016 at 2:52:52 AM UTC, wrote:
On Saturday, 17 December 2016 02:49:52 UTC, tabby wrote:
On Friday, 16 December 2016 10:30:55 UTC, GB wrote:

A staircase like the one Adam photographed could take a really massive
lamp. The sort that extends downwards over 2 storeys and pretty much
fills the space between the staircases. That could need a team of people
just to lift it.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...8b9080af32.jpg

For example.

I sure hope it's LED and the run real cool. In the days of filament that would have been a mare.

I'd expect anything that size to be likely a 1 off. Unless it's an ex town christmas decoration

NT

Used to work in a showroom that sold that end of lighting, big rooms need light fittings in proportion, for the overwawed obviously shopping beyond budget , the suggestion would be "Perhaps Sir would find something more suitable in B&Q...."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 17 December 2016 04:41:36 UTC, ARW wrote:
Just had a look at what I have available.
I have found a wench.
Will that do?

Do you usually let clients use your wench?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 17 December 2016 02:49:52 UTC, wrote:
I sure hope it's LED and the run real cool. In the days of filament
that would have been a mare.

I remember something like that made out of lots of BC lampholders and flexes hanging from a plywood base as a project in "The Knack"

Bulbs were run in series-parallel to give a gentle glow complimenting the cork tiles and Laura Ashley wallpaper.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 17/12/2016 01:57, Adam Aglionby wrote:

http://www.galileelighting.com/

Indeed.

There's no pricing, so I suppose that each one is made to suit the
space, and the price will make the eyes water. That particular one is on
the commercial side of the website.

I agree that thought needs to be given to cleaning, so some sort of
winch is needed, even if it's not all that heavy. Not just cleaning the
lamps, but all the individual cables.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , GB
escribió:

I agree that thought needs to be given to cleaning, so some sort of
winch is needed

eh? perfickly functional staircase there. Stick with hook on the
end...

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
(")_(")
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 17/12/2016 12:19, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , GB
escribió:

I agree that thought needs to be given to cleaning, so some sort of
winch is needed

eh? perfickly functional staircase there. Stick with hook on the
end...

That was my thought.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 17/12/2016 11:23, GB wrote:
On 17/12/2016 01:57, Adam Aglionby wrote:

http://www.galileelighting.com/

Indeed.

There's no pricing, so I suppose that each one is made to suit the
space, and the price will make the eyes water. That particular one is on
the commercial side of the website.

I agree that thought needs to be given to cleaning, so some sort of
winch is needed, even if it's not all that heavy. Not just cleaning the
lamps, but all the individual cables.

Cheers. I'll pass it on to him.

I do believe that he has a few quid to spend. What with the racehorses
in the back garden and a very nice RR in the garage.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

escribió:

I agree that thought needs to be given to cleaning, so some sort of
winch is needed

eh? perfickly functional staircase there. Stick with hook on the
end...

That was my thought.

Bloody hell, you're being uncommercial! How much mark-up can you make on
a stick with a hook, compared to a winch? And future maintenance on the
winch ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

escribió:

I agree that thought needs to be given to cleaning, so some sort of
winch is needed

eh? perfickly functional staircase there. Stick with hook on the
end...

That was my thought.

Bloody hell, you're being uncommercial! How much mark-up can you make on
a stick with a hook, compared to a winch? And future maintenance on the
winch ....

Depends on the price of a stick with a hook on it:-)

I'll only sell special ones with fairy dust that needs a service every
year by Russ Andrews.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 17 December 2016 14:32:06 UTC, ARW wrote:
... a very nice RR in the garage.

which he will not be letting the apprentice borrow for the Greggs run.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 15/12/2016 20:06, wrote:
On Thursday, 15 December 2016 18:58:23 UTC, ARW wrote:
Found this one today whilst fixing some motorized gates.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Fileoorentry1.jpg

What was the separation between mains and ELV?

Why is a black wire connected into g/y wires - earth? or not?

Actually that in normal for 3 core SWA - it should of course be oversleeved.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 17 December 2016 11:23:48 UTC, GB wrote:
On 17/12/2016 01:57, Adam Aglionby wrote:

http://www.galileelighting.com/

Indeed.

There's no pricing, so I suppose that each one is made to suit the
space, and the price will make the eyes water. That particular one is on
the commercial side of the website.

I agree that thought needs to be given to cleaning, so some sort of
winch is needed, even if it's not all that heavy. Not just cleaning the
lamps, but all the individual cables.

Make it wet cleanable, it's so much quicker/easier. And if it can be readily taken down & dishwashered, even better.

NT