DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   New for old light switch (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/582900-new-old-light-switch.html)

ss December 14th 16 08:10 PM

New for old light switch

I have a 2 gang light switch I am replacing. On the old one it has:
Com, 1 way 2, way, The new one Com, L1, L2
Am I correct in assuming the 1 way = L1 and 2 way = L2

grjw December 14th 16 08:23 PM

New for old light switch

"ss" wrote in message
I have a 2 gang light switch I am replacing. On the old one it has:
Com, 1 way 2, way, The new one Com, L1, L2
Am I correct in assuming the 1 way = L1 and 2 way = L2

Yep. And you can check that with a meter or by wiring it in test config too.

ss December 14th 16 09:43 PM

New for old light switch

On 14/12/2016 20:23, grjw wrote:
Yep. And you can check that with a meter or by wiring it in test config
too.

Thanks thats what I thought.

I have a meter but not fluent in using it other than a wire registers
240v or not. So I take the wires out and replace in the same
configuration as the old one that my safest way with limited knowledge
of electrics. Test config I havent a clue what that means. :-)

[email protected] December 14th 16 10:05 PM

New for old light switch

On Wednesday, 14 December 2016 20:11:05 UTC, ss wrote:
I have a 2 gang light switch I am replacing. On the old one it has:
Com, 1 way 2, way, The new one Com, L1, L2
Am I correct in assuming the 1 way = L1 and 2 way = L2

Yep.

NT

DerbyBorn[_5_] December 14th 16 11:36 PM

New for old light switch

wrote in news:de59d7b2-f357-42c8-80f4-bc3b82b464b3
@googlegroups.com:

On Wednesday, 14 December 2016 20:11:05 UTC, ss wrote:
I have a 2 gang light switch I am replacing. On the old one it has:
Com, 1 way 2, way, The new one Com, L1, L2
Am I correct in assuming the 1 way = L1 and 2 way = L2

Yep.

NT

Convention woul dbe tha the incoming live goes to Common and the light feed
goes from L1.

You may have to bridge the Commons together - is it like that now?

ss December 15th 16 12:48 AM

New for old light switch

On 14/12/2016 23:36, DerbyBorn wrote:
You may have to bridge the Commons together - is it like that now?

Yes it is.

John Rumm December 15th 16 01:49 AM

New for old light switch

On 14/12/2016 20:10, ss wrote:
I have a 2 gang light switch I am replacing. On the old one it has:
Com, 1 way 2, way, The new one Com, L1, L2
Am I correct in assuming the 1 way = L1 and 2 way = L2

Yes.

--
Cheers,

John.

ss December 15th 16 07:58 PM

New for old light switch

Job done, thanks all for confirming wiring for me.