Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Edison screw fittings

I installed an Edison screw lightbulb and it did not work. I loosened
the bulb and it then worked. Is it a design feature that ES fittings
do not work if too tight or is this just a quirk?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 3 December 2016 11:14:22 UTC, Scott wrote:
I installed an Edison screw lightbulb and it did not work. I loosened
the bulb and it then worked. Is it a design feature that ES fittings
do not work if too tight or is this just a quirk?

It's a fault, not a quirk.

ES fittings are crappier than crap BC ones.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott wrote

I installed an Edison screw lightbulb and it did not work.
I loosened the bulb and it then worked. Is it a design feature
that ES fittings do not work if too tight or is this just a quirk?

Just a quirk of that particular socket. I have
most of mine ES and don't get that effect at all.

The physical structure means that you can
apply a lot more pressure with an ES bulb
and socket than you can otherwise, that's all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Scott wrote

I installed an Edison screw lightbulb and it did not work.
I loosened the bulb and it then worked. Is it a design feature
that ES fittings do not work if too tight or is this just a quirk?

It's a fault, not a quirk.

ES fittings are crappier than crap BC ones.

Like hell they are. Crap BC sockets have too soft
metal and it isnt hard to end up with a bent bit
with the small bit that holds the pin.

Nothing like that with ES. The only real mechanical
downside with ES is that is does allow gorillas to
screw the bulb in much tighter than is necessary.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 4 Dec 2016 04:27:52 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote
Scott wrote

I installed an Edison screw lightbulb and it did not work.
I loosened the bulb and it then worked. Is it a design feature
that ES fittings do not work if too tight or is this just a quirk?

It's a fault, not a quirk.

ES fittings are crappier than crap BC ones.

Like hell they are. Crap BC sockets have too soft
metal and it isnt hard to end up with a bent bit
with the small bit that holds the pin.

Nothing like that with ES. The only real mechanical
downside with ES is that is does allow gorillas to
screw the bulb in much tighter than is necessary.

Were you not denying this was a problem 12 minutes ago?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scott" wrote in message
On Sun, 4 Dec 2016 04:27:52 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote
Scott wrote

I installed an Edison screw lightbulb and it did not work.
I loosened the bulb and it then worked. Is it a design feature
that ES fittings do not work if too tight or is this just a quirk?

It's a fault, not a quirk.

ES fittings are crappier than crap BC ones.

Like hell they are. Crap BC sockets have too soft
metal and it isnt hard to end up with a bent bit
with the small bit that holds the pin.

Nothing like that with ES. The only real mechanical
downside with ES is that is does allow gorillas to
screw the bulb in much tighter than is necessary.

Were you not denying this was a problem 12 minutes ago?

I never said it wasn't a problem in that post, I JUST said
that it was the reason for the result seen with a faulty one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes I've seen this issue many moons ago on some movie lights. Turned out to
be a naff bit ofcrimping on the centere stud where a small short wire when
to the connection screw for the incoming wire.
Well it was branded Boots so I guess it was made for them not by them!
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...