Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cross Channel power link broken

Ohhhh **** :-

https://www.ft.com/content/52e957a6-...5-95d1533d9a62

But the mediuhh seem to be concerned that the UK will suffer
when we cannot get enough power from French nuclear power,
except that recently the leccy seems to be going the other
way.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/16 20:55, Andrew wrote:
Ohhhh **** :-

https://www.ft.com/content/52e957a6-...5-95d1533d9a62

But the mediuhh seem to be concerned that the UK will suffer
when we cannot get enough power from French nuclear power,
except that recently the leccy seems to be going the other
way.

Andrew

Its actually been going up and down like a whores drawers.

It does limit options somewhat.

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/16 20:55, Andrew wrote:
Ohhhh **** :-

https://www.ft.com/content/52e957a6-...5-95d1533d9a62

But the mediuhh seem to be concerned that the UK will suffer
when we cannot get enough power from French nuclear power,
except that recently the leccy seems to be going the other
way.

Andrew

Mentioned in another thread. Not good, being 1GW down on import options.

Quite honestly, I hope if there is a need to do emergency load shedding,
that they choose central London as the victim. Particularly Westminster.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/16 20:55, Andrew wrote:
Ohhhh **** :-

https://www.ft.com/content/52e957a6-...5-95d1533d9a62

But the mediuhh seem to be concerned that the UK will suffer
when we cannot get enough power from French nuclear power,
except that recently the leccy seems to be going the other
way.

Andrew

Its actually been going up and down like a whores drawers.

It does limit options somewhat.

The Times says four of the eight cables are broken and it will take
until Feb 2017 to repair them.

Nice. Just as sunspot activity has almost disappeared.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
On 30/11/16 20:55, Andrew wrote:
Ohhhh **** :-

https://www.ft.com/content/52e957a6-...5-95d1533d9a62

But the mediuhh seem to be concerned that the UK will suffer
when we cannot get enough power from French nuclear power,
except that recently the leccy seems to be going the other
way.

Andrew

Its actually been going up and down like a whores drawers.

It does limit options somewhat.

The Times says four of the eight cables are broken and it will take
until Feb 2017 to repair them.

It also says a dragging anchor was the cause. It also wrecked the fibre
cable to the Channel Islands causing problems with their internet.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OK who broke it, sounds like a big insurance job to me!
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Andrew" wrote in message
news
Ohhhh **** :-

https://www.ft.com/content/52e957a6-...5-95d1533d9a62

But the mediuhh seem to be concerned that the UK will suffer
when we cannot get enough power from French nuclear power,
except that recently the leccy seems to be going the other
way.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/16 22:08, charles wrote:
In article ,
Andrew wrote:
On 30/11/16 20:55, Andrew wrote:
Ohhhh **** :-

https://www.ft.com/content/52e957a6-...5-95d1533d9a62

But the mediuhh seem to be concerned that the UK will suffer
when we cannot get enough power from French nuclear power,
except that recently the leccy seems to be going the other
way.

Andrew

Its actually been going up and down like a whores drawers.

It does limit options somewhat.

The Times says four of the eight cables are broken and it will take
until Feb 2017 to repair them.

It also says a dragging anchor was the cause. It also wrecked the fibre
cable to the Channel Islands causing problems with their internet.

How odd. That is nowhere near kent. Comes ashore in the west country IIRC.

Anyway CI these days is heavily attached to the French Internet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, November 30, 2016 at 10:11:46 PM UTC, charles wrote:
In article ,
Andrew wrote:
On 30/11/16 20:55, Andrew wrote:
Ohhhh **** :-

https://www.ft.com/content/52e957a6-...5-95d1533d9a62

But the mediuhh seem to be concerned that the UK will suffer
when we cannot get enough power from French nuclear power,
except that recently the leccy seems to be going the other
way.

Andrew

Its actually been going up and down like a whores drawers.

It does limit options somewhat.

The Times says four of the eight cables are broken and it will take
until Feb 2017 to repair them.

It also says a dragging anchor was the cause. It also wrecked the fibre
cable to the Channel Islands causing problems with their internet.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

When I was working in Jersey in 1980, this happened with the main telephone cable to the mainland. Calls were routed via France and rationed. Big problem for a bank running a dealing room there.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
On 30/11/16 20:55, Andrew wrote:
[...]

When I put the internet into the channel islands, we had two links to
jersey and guernsey from different suppliers, and a link between those
two islands. It was a self contained ASN so that it could connect to
anywhere and get internet. That didn't last very long before there were
links to France as well, and as far as I know both Guersney and Jersey
telecoms are now part of a French company.

So whilst one cable to the internet may have broken, there should be at
least three more, and we made damned sure that switchover to routes
happened within a few hundred milliseconds of pulling out the fibres to
any given piece of kit.

So its shouldn't have been more than a 25% loss of capacity* worst case.

*of course we all remember the day when we discovered that packets from
Cambridge to Manchester were going via the USA and mainland Europe, very
slowly...

"But we have diverse routing"! yelled the ISPs. Unfortunately all of the
diverse routes went through the same fibre conduit halfway up the M1
that a contractor had just put a digger through...

Jonathan

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal
Posted to uk.d-i-y

When I put the internet into the channel islands, we had two links to

You ??

jersey and guernsey from different suppliers, and a link between those
two islands. It was a self contained ASN so that it could connect to
anywhere and get internet. That didn't last very long before there were
links to France as well, and as far as I know both Guersney and Jersey
telecoms are now part of a French company.

Cable and Wireless took over the State telephone service in Guernsey
back in about 2004, and used the branding 'Sure', there and on the IOM.
After C&W broke into two companies, C&W communications sold off all
their non-caribbean interests to a Middle east company in about 2011.

C&W no longer exists at all. 150 years of history gone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2016 08:51, Brian Gaff wrote:
OK who broke it, sounds like a big insurance job to me!
Brian

Storm Angus. Would be a scot :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/16 20:08, Andrew wrote:

When I put the internet into the channel islands, we had two links to

You ??

Yes, me. Almost singlehanded actually.

jersey and guernsey from different suppliers, and a link between those
two islands. It was a self contained ASN so that it could connect to
anywhere and get internet. That didn't last very long before there were
links to France as well, and as far as I know both Guersney and Jersey
telecoms are now part of a French company.

Cable and Wireless took over the State telephone service in Guernsey
back in about 2004, and used the branding 'Sure', there and on the IOM.
After C&W broke into two companies, C&W communications sold off all
their non-caribbean interests to a Middle east company in about 2011.

C&W no longer exists at all. 150 years of history gone.

Yup.looks like your memory is better than mine.

Sad really. Guernsey telecom were very very good for me.

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

When I put the internet into the channel islands

Lol!

You're fuller of **** than a fertiliser factory.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/16 09:01, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

When I put the internet into the channel islands

Lol!

You're fuller of **** than a fertiliser factory.

Actually, you won't believe me of course, but that is in fact the
literal truth.

Biggest, most well paid and most fun contract my company ever got as far
as I am concerned, and due to various other issues, the job to implement
it fell to me almost singlehanded.

*shrug* I am not going to tell you any more than that. I don't actually
care whether anyone believes me or not, especially you. I was there, I
know what I did, and nothing can change that.

I don't need to impress you to feel superior.

--
€œSome people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of €¨an airplane.€

Dennis Miller