Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED Pygmy Lamp

Can anyone point me at a source for LED Pygmy Lamps in the UK, preferably
mail-order. What I specifically need is a BC/B22 ("Proper") base, and no bigger
than the traditional Pygmy outline, because it needs to fit in a decorative
glass shade that only has a small opening. Red would be ideal, but clear
or other colours will do. Plenty of golfball style ones available but
they're no good (won't fit).

Something like this is what I'm after:

https://www.fusion-lamps.co.uk/catalogue/products/4114317-1-6w-bc-led-pygmy-lamp-3000k

But I can only see them stocked by CEF, who won't sell to plebs, and Fusion
expect you to buy a truckload.

Can't see anything similar on ebay or amazon.

TIA,
--
Ian

"Tamahome!!!" - "Miaka!!!"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Ian

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TP24-LED-3W-Clear-Pygmy-BC-Cap-3784-Lamp-Light-Bulb-/361533608604?hash=item542d15129c:g:I3UAAOSwUUdXDhQ Z

--
*HOW IS IT POSSIBLE TO HAVE A CIVIL WAR?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-11-21, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TP24-LED-3W-Clear-Pygmy-BC-Cap-3784-Lamp-Light-Bulb-/361533608604?hash=item542d15129c:g:I3UAAOSwUUdXDhQ Z

Ta, though that looks too fat. A traditional Pygmy is only marginally wider than the
base. They don't specify the diameter of that one - may pop them a question...

--
Ian

"Tamahome!!!" - "Miaka!!!"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Ian

On 2016-11-21, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TP24-LED-3W-Clear-Pygmy-BC-Cap-3784-Lamp-Light-Bulb-/361533608604?hash=item542d15129c:g:I3UAAOSwUUdXDhQ Z

Ta, though that looks too fat. A traditional Pygmy is only marginally
wider than the base. They don't specify the diameter of that one - may
pop them a question...

Think they may have varied in shape over the years. And by maker. There
were some signal mains lamps the same diameter as the base designed for
say a 1,2,3... indicator where space could be tight - but generally SBC.

There seems to be a much bigger choice with SES - any chance of changing
the bulb holder?

--
*I love cats...they taste just like chicken.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-11-21, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Think they may have varied in shape over the years. And by maker. There
were some signal mains lamps the same diameter as the base designed for
say a 1,2,3... indicator where space could be tight - but generally SBC.

Quite likely, though the incandescent ones seem to be fairly standard now.

There seems to be a much bigger choice with SES - any chance of changing
the bulb holder?

Unfortunately not, it's a (rather nice) custom made decorative lamp in
the form of a flower, with BC bulb holders soldered onto metal stalks,
and glass shades. I've got a 0.5W golfball led in the bigger "buds",
but the opening on the smallest one is barely bigger than the lamp.
Would be nice to replace the 15W with something cooler and longer lasting.

May consider butchering a golfball and putting the glass from a
normal bulb on it. Or converting the whole thing to LV and making a
suitably sized lamp from a dead mains one.

--
Ian

"Tamahome!!!" - "Miaka!!!"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ian writes:
Can anyone point me at a source for LED Pygmy Lamps in the UK, preferably
mail-order. What I specifically need is a BC/B22 ("Proper") base, and no bigger
than the traditional Pygmy outline, because it needs to fit in a decorative
glass shade that only has a small opening. Red would be ideal, but clear
or other colours will do. Plenty of golfball style ones available but
they're no good (won't fit).

Something like this is what I'm after:

https://www.fusion-lamps.co.uk/catalogue/products/4114317-1-6w-bc-led-pygmy-lamp-3000k

But I can only see them stocked by CEF, who won't sell to plebs, and Fusion
expect you to buy a truckload.

Can't see anything similar on ebay or amazon.

Would a 35mm golfball fit in?
http://cpc.farnell.com/bltc/blms3522...red/dp/LP08763

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-11-21, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Would a 35mm golfball fit in?
http://cpc.farnell.com/bltc/blms3522...red/dp/LP08763

Unfortunately not, the opening is only 28mm wide, and is glass, so no flexibility.

--
Ian

"Tamahome!!!" - "Miaka!!!"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

How DARE you use that word in the subject.

You have been reported to the thought police...

You'll be soorree...

"Ian"

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian" wrote in message

Can anyone point me at a source for LED Pygmy Lamps in the UK, preferably
mail-order. What I specifically need is a BC/B22 ("Proper") base, and no
bigger
than the traditional Pygmy outline, because it needs to fit in a decorative
glass shade that only has a small opening. Red would be ideal, but clear
or other colours will do. Plenty of golfball style ones available but
they're no good (won't fit).

Something like this is what I'm after:

https://www.fusion-lamps.co.uk/catalogue/products/4114317-1-6w-bc-led-pygmy-lamp-3000k

But I can only see them stocked by CEF, who won't sell to plebs, and Fusion
expect you to buy a truckload.

Can't see anything similar on ebay or amazon.

TIA,

This any good?
http://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/produ...gmy-lamp-3000k

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-11-21, Richard wrote:

This any good?
http://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/produ...gmy-lamp-3000k

Yep, that's just the job, but where can I buy it? (CEF is trade-only)

--
Ian

"Tamahome!!!" - "Miaka!!!"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-11-21, Richard wrote:

This any good?
http://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/produ...gmy-lamp-3000k

Yep, that's just the job, but where can I buy it? (CEF is trade-only)

Another possibility, if it can take the length, is a BC-to-G9 adapter, then
there's a good choice of lamps.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_od...to+g9&_sacat=0
http://ebay.eu/2f0kOrn
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian"

On 2016-11-21, Richard wrote:

This any good?
http://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/produ...gmy-lamp-3000k

Yep, that's just the job, but where can I buy it? (CEF is trade-only)

--
Ian

"Tamahome!!!" - "Miaka!!!"

Why on earth do you want an LED version? Surely 15W incandescent isn't going
to break you?
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-11-21, Richard wrote:

This any good?
http://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/produ...gmy-lamp-3000k

Yep, that's just the job, but where can I buy it? (CEF is trade-only)

Have you actually tried them?

I've never had any problem buying from CEF, apart from some of their
prices being on the high side.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave W
wrote:

"Ian"

On 2016-11-21, Richard wrote:

This any good?
http://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/produ...gmy-lamp-3000k

Yep, that's just the job, but where can I buy it? (CEF is trade-only)

just go in and ask to buy. "Trade only" is rarely a problem.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-11-21, PeterC wrote:

Another possibility, if it can take the length, is a BC-to-G9 adapter, then
there's a good choice of lamps.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_od...to+g9&_sacat=0
http://ebay.eu/2f0kOrn

Cheers, might work with a small lamp (didn't realise those adapters were so small)

--
Ian

"Tamahome!!!" - "Miaka!!!"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2016 11:51, Ian wrote:
Can anyone point me at a source for LED Pygmy Lamps in the UK, preferably
mail-order. What I specifically need is a BC/B22 ("Proper") base, and no bigger
than the traditional Pygmy outline, because it needs to fit in a decorative
glass shade that only has a small opening. Red would be ideal, but clear
or other colours will do. Plenty of golfball style ones available but
they're no good (won't fit).

Something like this is what I'm after:

https://www.fusion-lamps.co.uk/catalogue/products/4114317-1-6w-bc-led-pygmy-lamp-3000k

But I can only see them stocked by CEF, who won't sell to plebs, and Fusion
expect you to buy a truckload.

Can't see anything similar on ebay or amazon.

White ones:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E27-E14-GU...e/311145604927

Coloured ones:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3W-5W-Red-...-/331879557783

You can buy them from China for not very much. I got some 3W and 5W red
B22 ones this way for astronomy. Better than filtering white light!

Since I have one in front of me B22 the dimensions are 22mm increasing
to 25mm on the metal socket and the clear envelope/control electronics
is 30mm dia and length 80mm (for the 3W) the 5W is longer. This will be
a bit bigger footprint than a standard pygmy lamp.

In the spirit of DIY you could probably shave 2mm off that with a bit of
careful work. I doubt you could put them in a lathe though.

So far I have never had anything not arrive although delivery times can
vary depending on the speed of the slow boat from China and season.
Longest was about 6 weeks. From memory the bulbs took about 3 weeks.

You can sometimes find them in stock in the UK for about 5x the price.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-11-21, Dave W wrote:

Why on earth do you want an LED version? Surely 15W incandescent isn't going
to break you?

Well it runs hot, the paint cracks, spoiling the effect and it doesn't
last long. Also, it niggles that the "illumination" lamp is a nice bright
0.5W LED, but the small decorative one is a 15W heater.

--
Ian

"Tamahome!!!" - "Miaka!!!"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-11-22, Martin Brown wrote:

White ones:
[...]

Cheers, that's getting close enough for a punt. I've no problem ordering
low-value things from china (though I do wonder how they ship for the
price!)

--
Ian

"Tamahome!!!" - "Miaka!!!"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

Ian wrote:

Can anyone point me at a source for LED Pygmy Lamps in the UK

Room for a candle lamp?

White ones:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E27-E14-GU...e/311145604927

You can buy them from China for not very much.

I bought a similar one (higher powered though) the individual LEDs
didn't last long, you could hear them "cracking" as the lamp cooled down
each time it had been used, eventually about 1/3 of them had blown and
the whole thing gave up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Clarke wrote:

Ian wrote:

CEF is trade-only

I've never had any problem buying from CEF, apart from some of their
prices being on the high side.

They've given me "cash discount" without having to ask whenever I've
bought from their trade counter, which brings list price back to
something almost reasonable.