Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Adjusting electric oven thermostat

Not much information via search, but it seems as though there is usually
an adjustment screw somewhere behind the temperature control button.

Anyone adjusted an electric oven this way?

How reliable are the mechanical oven thermometers?

Top oven (Bosch combi) seems to register about 10 degrees lower than the
setting on the knob.

Cheers

Dave R

--
W7 64 bit HTPC

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts formulated the question :
Top oven (Bosch combi) seems to register about 10 degrees lower than the
setting on the knob.

The hysteresis, the difference between it switching on and switching
off, will be at least 10C on such a thermal switch. I would leave it
alone..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Nov 2016 13:30:36 GMT, David WE Roberts
wrote:

Not much information via search, but it seems as though there is usually
an adjustment screw somewhere behind the temperature control button.

Anyone adjusted an electric oven this way?

How reliable are the mechanical oven thermometers?

Top oven (Bosch combi) seems to register about 10 degrees lower than the
setting on the knob.

Cheers

Dave R

As it happened I salvaged one last week but I CBA to unthread the pile
so I cut the capillary tube.
I can't see any adjustment screw...
....Just dismantled it further and there is nothing to adjust. The
capillary tube enters the centre of what is best described as a
bi-metallic labyrinth with a plastic peg that presses against the
switch spring.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. explained on 20/11/2016 :
As it happened I salvaged one last week but I CBA to unthread the pile
so I cut the capillary tube.
I can't see any adjustment screw...
...Just dismantled it further and there is nothing to adjust. The
capillary tube enters the centre of what is best described as a
bi-metallic labyrinth with a plastic peg that presses against the
switch spring.

The manufacturer possibly sets the length of the plastic peg during
calibration or crimps the tube down to reduce the capacity..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 14:07:55 +0000, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

David WE Roberts formulated the question :
Top oven (Bosch combi) seems to register about 10 degrees lower than
the setting on the knob.

The hysteresis, the difference between it switching on and switching
off, will be at least 10C on such a thermal switch. I would leave it
alone..

However if I take a reading just as the heater goes off it should (in
theory) be at the correct temperature or higher?

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD Windows 7 Pro x64

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote
David WE Roberts wrote

Top oven (Bosch combi) seems to register about
10 degrees lower than the setting on the knob.

The hysteresis, the difference between it switching
on and switching off, will be at least 10C on such
a thermal switch. I would leave it alone..

Maybe he means that when you set the oven temp
to say 200C, it actually runs the oven at 190C tho.

Not really enough of an error to matter, you'll
get that much variation within the oven.

Even less significant if its F instead of C.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote on 20/11/2016 :
However if I take a reading just as the heater goes off it should (in
theory) be at the correct temperature or higher?

It should average out at approximately the set temperature, but
domestic oven is hardly a precision device. Most who cook keep in mind
that their oven under or over cook at a set temperature and make some
allowance for it, either on the dial or the time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, November 20, 2016 at 2:07:57 PM UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

The hysteresis, the difference between it switching on and switching
off, will be at least 10C on such a thermal switch. I would leave it
alone..

The top oven on our Neff is absolutely miles out - it cuts off about 20C below set for 200C (this is set digitally) and has to drop another 20C before it reheats. Neff ovens are noted for it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David WE Roberts writes:
Not much information via search, but it seems as though there is usually
an adjustment screw somewhere behind the temperature control button.

Anyone adjusted an electric oven this way?

How reliable are the mechanical oven thermometers?

Top oven (Bosch combi) seems to register about 10 degrees lower than the
setting on the knob.

Ovens don't have just one temperature.
The air temperature will vary inside (unless a fan oven), and the
radiant heat will also vary in different places depending on the
exposure to oven walls and their temperature distribution.

I wouldn't worry about 10C. Just allow for it when using the
oven. You might find it's not constant anyway and as more of
the oven heats up, it vanishes or even goes the other way.

--
Andrew Gabriel