Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Question on weight distribution

Hi all,

So I've got this estate car with a GVW of 2300kg. Obviously most of that
weight is towards the front where the engine etc is, especially when it's
unladen. I want to order 4 of those skates/dollies that enable you to
move vehicles around easily but almost all of them (that are easily
obtainable anyway) come rated at 400kg absolute max. Question is, can I
get away with using say 2 X 250kg skates under the rear wheels and a 3
tonne trolly jack under the front x-member?

Although common sense says the rear of an estate car will be lighter,
when all four wheels come off the deck that might no longer be true! Your
thoughts...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote:

Your thoughts...

Is you drive nice and level? If not, has you neighbour got a GoPro?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 16:34:01 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Chris wrote:

Your thoughts...

Is you drive nice and level?

Not quite. And there are a few places where the thickness of the concrete
changes abruptly by up to 1/2".

If not, has you neighbour got a GoPro?

Search on ebay for that term reveals just a lot of hits for camera mounts!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2016 16:22, Chris wrote:
Hi all,

So I've got this estate car with a GVW of 2300kg. Obviously most of that
weight is towards the front where the engine etc is, especially when it's
unladen. I want to order 4 of those skates/dollies that enable you to
move vehicles around easily but almost all of them (that are easily
obtainable anyway) come rated at 400kg absolute max. Question is, can I
get away with using say 2 X 250kg skates under the rear wheels and a 3
tonne trolly jack under the front x-member?

Although common sense says the rear of an estate car will be lighter,
when all four wheels come off the deck that might no longer be true! Your
thoughts...

Are you going to be moving it fully laden? If not, then you should use
the unladen weight as a guide. As a rough estimate, the unladen weight
of your car might be 1700Kg. With a 55/45 weight distribution, that
would put 765Kg on the back wheels, so within the 400Kg per dolly limit
but way over 250Kg. Similarly, it would leave 935Kg on the front wheels.

If all 4 wheels are off the deck on the same dollies then the weight
distribution will be the same as when on the deck. There will be a
slight difference while you load the car on to the dollies.

Machine Mart do a pair for £54 with a capacity of 500Kg per dolly
(https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/awd1...l-dolly-pair/). I
have a pair of these and they are excellent. They should be capable of
holding the weight of your car (using the above assumptions for unladen
weight and weight distribution).

--
Biggles
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Chris wrote:

Your thoughts...

Is you drive nice and level?

Not quite. And there are a few places where the thickness of the concrete
changes abruptly by up to 1/2".

If not, has you neighbour got a GoPro?

Search on ebay for that term reveals just a lot of hits for camera mounts!

A GoPro is a camera, with which to film you making a possible idiot of
yourself.

It's a very heavy car. You might move it around on a dead smooth garage
floor, but not on a driveway. With a bit of luck, from our point of
view, you'll find there's more of an incline on the drive than you
realised, with hilarious results (for us).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 17:24:52 +0000, Biggles wrote:

Are you going to be moving it fully laden? If not, then you should use
the unladen weight as a guide. As a rough estimate, the unladen weight
of your car might be 1700Kg. With a 55/45 weight distribution, that
would put 765Kg on the back wheels, so within the 400Kg per dolly limit
but way over 250Kg. Similarly, it would leave 935Kg on the front wheels.

Ahh! I thought GVW was the same as unladen weight. Now I'll have to start
from scratch. Must admit I did think it sounded very heavy. Hopefully
your guess will be much closer to the mark.

Machine Mart do a pair for £54 with a capacity of 500Kg per dolly
(https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/awd1...l-dolly-pair/). I
have a pair of these and they are excellent. They should be capable of
holding the weight of your car (using the above assumptions for unladen
weight and weight distribution).

That's a great help, many thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 19 November 2016 18:56:36 UTC, Chris wrote:
[...]

Gross is car + liquids + people + luggage. 2.3t is still heavy.

NT