Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Clever electrical scheme

Just replacing a bathroom light fitting. Running from it in the
opposite direction to the standard 1.5sqmm T&E supplying it is a single
core 1.5sqmm red cable (proper PVC outer sleeve and everything). This
connects to an extractor fan, providing a live connection switched by
the light switch. The light circuit is part of a 10A light circuit,
eminently reasonable so far. However, the fan is also supplied with its
only neutral and a permanent live connection from a fused (13A) but
unswitched spur off a nearby socket circuit.

Don't ask me how I know, but this is an electric shock risk (fortunately
only to parts of one hand owing to good self-training).

Does anyone think this is a good idea?

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 19 November 2016 12:43:21 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
Just replacing a bathroom light fitting. Running from it in the
opposite direction to the standard 1.5sqmm T&E supplying it is a single
core 1.5sqmm red cable (proper PVC outer sleeve and everything). This
connects to an extractor fan, providing a live connection switched by
the light switch. The light circuit is part of a 10A light circuit,
eminently reasonable so far. However, the fan is also supplied with its
only neutral and a permanent live connection from a fused (13A) but
unswitched spur off a nearby socket circuit.

Don't ask me how I know, but this is an electric shock risk (fortunately
only to parts of one hand owing to good self-training).

Does anyone think this is a good idea?

It's a very bad idea. There is the possibility in the event of a fault that live can backfeed from the extractor fan if the semiconductor timer circuit fails, to the socket circuit even if the socket circuit is switched off at source. Someone working on the wiring could easily have full 240V hand-to-hand if only the socket live source was disconnected (MCB opened or fuse pulled).

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes one should strive to get all connections from the one place not two
separate ones as in the future you may not be around to warn them.
Personally I do still find having unswitch lives in ceiling roses a bit of a
nonsense, but then that is probably just me.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/16 12:43, Roger Hayter wrote:
Just replacing a bathroom light fitting. Running from it in the
opposite direction to the standard 1.5sqmm T&E supplying it is a single
core 1.5sqmm red cable (proper PVC outer sleeve and everything). This
connects to an extractor fan, providing a live connection switched by
the light switch. The light circuit is part of a 10A light circuit,
eminently reasonable so far. However, the fan is also supplied with its
only neutral and a permanent live connection from a fused (13A) but
unswitched spur off a nearby socket circuit.

Don't ask me how I know, but this is an electric shock risk (fortunately
only to parts of one hand owing to good self-training).

Does anyone think this is a good idea?

No, that's not OK.

For one, you are effectively sharing a neutral between two circuits.

And you are potentially sharing the lives if the fan electronics fails
in an interesting way.

If you had to do this, using a relay as a full galvanic isolator (relay
coil driven by lights, contacts on the socket spur side) would be
theoretically OK - but it will still confuse the next person who looks
at this.

Can you not pick up a lighting live from somewhere?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

It was a bit of a rhetorical question - I didn't leave it like that!

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/16 19:43, Roger Hayter wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

Oh - OK

I think I had a clever idea Greg Guarino[_2_] Woodworking 3 March 12th 12 07:12 PM
Clever Switches ... Arfa Daily Electronics Repair 2 May 14th 10 06:09 AM
Clever project HeyBub[_3_] Woodworking 9 January 29th 10 04:37 PM
OT. Clever and Fun John B Woodworking 3 January 22nd 06 04:19 PM