DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Mobile Phone advice (OT) (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/581024-mobile-phone-advice-ot.html)

DerbyBorn[_5_] November 7th 16 02:56 PM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

I have a very old and basic Nokia 1616 (it has a torch and that is as good
as it gets) I use Pay AS you Go with EE.

I would guite like a smart phone (Android) now as I find my tablet useful
but a bit big.

I really don't understand about SIM cards and things. If I see a phone at
Asda or somewere - can I just buy it and put my card in.

charles November 7th 16 03:03 PM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
I have a very old and basic Nokia 1616 (it has a torch and that is as good
as it gets) I use Pay AS you Go with EE.

I would guite like a smart phone (Android) now as I find my tablet useful
but a bit big.

I really don't understand about SIM cards and things. If I see a phone at
Asda or somewere - can I just buy it and put my card in.

Theoretically yes, but inprobability no. Over the last few years, SIM card
sizes have reduced, so your old card probably won't fit. All you need to
do is to got a shop of your service provider and ask for a replacement card
of the correct size.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Simon Mason November 7th 16 03:05 PM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

On Monday, 7 November 2016 14:56:33 UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have a very old and basic Nokia 1616 (it has a torch and that is as good
as it gets) I use Pay AS you Go with EE.

I would guite like a smart phone (Android) now as I find my tablet useful
but a bit big.

I really don't understand about SIM cards and things. If I see a phone at
Asda or somewere - can I just buy it and put my card in.

Dunno - I don't have a "proper" mobile phone, but you can get these satellite phones which cost nothing to buy and cost just £50 for 100 mins of calls from and to anywhere in the world.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwMJfjLWcAAvtu_.jpg

New mobiles are too small for my manly hands and so I prefer to type on this - good for the train too.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpPg860WcAATn9k.jpg

DerbyBorn[_5_] November 7th 16 03:15 PM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

charles wrote in
:

In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
I have a very old and basic Nokia 1616 (it has a torch and that is as
good as it gets) I use Pay AS you Go with EE.

I would guite like a smart phone (Android) now as I find my tablet
useful but a bit big.

I really don't understand about SIM cards and things. If I see a
phone at Asda or somewere - can I just buy it and put my card in.

Theoretically yes, but inprobability no. Over the last few years, SIM
card sizes have reduced, so your old card probably won't fit. All you
need to do is to got a shop of your service provider and ask for a
replacement card of the correct size.

So would an EE Shop transfer my info to a new small sim?

Dave Plowman (News) November 7th 16 03:21 PM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
I have a very old and basic Nokia 1616 (it has a torch and that is as
good as it gets) I use Pay AS you Go with EE.

I would guite like a smart phone (Android) now as I find my tablet
useful but a bit big.

I really don't understand about SIM cards and things. If I see a phone
at Asda or somewere - can I just buy it and put my card in.

Likely not as I discovered when changing a not that ancient Nokia N95 to a
Samsung S4 a few years ago. The simm card was different. But my local
Vodaphone shop sorted it for free. Or rather almost. They transferred my
account, but not my contact list.

With the Samsung, MyPhoneExplorer (free for a PC) was a saviour as it
allows you to access all the internal directories and transfer stuff
easily. Unlike the software Samsung supply for the PC.

--
*Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my dear Watson" *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Brian Gaff November 7th 16 03:41 PM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

Some do have both sockets though. The cheaper never heard of them ranges
tend to be this way I understand, but of course one might actually then need
to get some data on the pay as you go and this can be expensive.
I'm going to be in a similar position soon, and looking at prices and the
abilities of the new phones it could well be cheaper to use one on a
contract with all the thrown in freebies. I do howeveer want to keep my
number, so this might be where I get an issue!
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Simon Mason November 7th 16 03:49 PM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

On Monday, 7 November 2016 15:43:31 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
Is this not going to very soon be obsolete though?
Brian

No.

https://www.iridium.com/

charles November 7th 16 04:52 PM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

In article 2,
DerbyBorn wrote:
charles wrote in
:

In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
I have a very old and basic Nokia 1616 (it has a torch and that is as
good as it gets) I use Pay AS you Go with EE.

I would guite like a smart phone (Android) now as I find my tablet
useful but a bit big.

I really don't understand about SIM cards and things. If I see a
phone at Asda or somewere - can I just buy it and put my card in.

Theoretically yes, but inprobability no. Over the last few years, SIM
card sizes have reduced, so your old card probably won't fit. All you
need to do is to got a shop of your service provider and ask for a
replacement card of the correct size.

So would an EE Shop transfer my info to a new small sim?

You'd have to ask. Vodafone have done it twice for me.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Dennis@home November 7th 16 04:57 PM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

On 07/11/2016 15:49, Simon Mason wrote:
Dunno - I don't have a "proper" mobile phone, but you can get these
satellite phones which cost nothing to buy and cost just £50 for 100 mins of
calls from and to anywhere in the world.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwMJfjLWcAAvtu_.jpg

New mobiles are too small for my manly hands and so I prefer to type on
this - good for the train too.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpPg860WcAATn9k.jpg

On Monday, 7 November 2016 15:43:31 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
Is this not going to very soon be obsolete though?
Brian

No.

https://www.iridium.com/

Do those global star handsets work with iridium then?

Andy Burns[_13_] November 7th 16 05:21 PM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

Brian Gaff wrote:

Is this not going to very soon be obsolete though?

No.

https://www.iridium.com/

How many times do you need to "discover" or be told that what you have
isn't an iridium phone?

misterroy November 7th 16 05:27 PM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 3:21:24 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
[...]

you just use a scissors and cut it to shape, easy enough

Andy Burns[_13_] November 7th 16 05:37 PM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

DerbyBorn wrote:

I would guite like a smart phone (Android)

I would avoid any "cheapies" still running older Android versions,
functionally the differences between lollipop/marshmallow/nougat aren't
*that* great, I wouldn't go any older than those on a tablet, but on a
phone you should probably be more concerned with security updates
against things like rogue MMS messages etc.

So would an EE Shop transfer my info to a new small sim?

I use Tesco SIM only, and as I've swapped from mini to micro and nano
phones, just pop into the shop, pick-up a new SIM card and pick a
convenient time (e.g. over a weekend) to activate the old number onto
the new SIM, I presume EE will do the same.

Martin Brown November 7th 16 05:41 PM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

On 07/11/2016 15:15, DerbyBorn wrote:
charles wrote in
:

In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
I have a very old and basic Nokia 1616 (it has a torch and that is as
good as it gets) I use Pay AS you Go with EE.

I would guite like a smart phone (Android) now as I find my tablet
useful but a bit big.

I really don't understand about SIM cards and things. If I see a
phone at Asda or somewere - can I just buy it and put my card in.

Theoretically yes, but inprobability no. Over the last few years, SIM
card sizes have reduced, so your old card probably won't fit. All you
need to do is to got a shop of your service provider and ask for a
replacement card of the correct size.

So would an EE Shop transfer my info to a new small sim?

Usually what happens is that they give you an entirely new multi SIM and
transfer your old number onto that within 24 hours.

You may have to do something clever by synching your contact list to an
external storage or the could before the SIM swap is done.

If you are at all nervous I expect anywhere reputable that sells mobile
phones will help you overcome the number transfer issues. It is common
since almost no modern phones accept full size SIMs any more.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

John Rumm November 7th 16 06:08 PM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

On 07/11/2016 14:56, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have a very old and basic Nokia 1616 (it has a torch and that is as good
as it gets) I use Pay AS you Go with EE.

I would guite like a smart phone (Android) now as I find my tablet useful
but a bit big.

I really don't understand about SIM cards and things. If I see a phone at
Asda or somewere - can I just buy it and put my card in.

ok, two potential problems; one the sim card may be the wrong size -
easy to fix by getting a replacement or cutting down the one you have
(templates on the web).

Two; the phone you get from some supermarkets (like tesco) will likely
be locked to their network. So make sure you buy from a place the does
unlocked phones (carphone whorehouse normally do, as do plenty of online
sellers)

--
Cheers,

John.

Simon Mason November 7th 16 06:41 PM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

On Monday, 7 November 2016 16:57:33 UTC, dennis@home wrote:

https://www.iridium.com/

Do those global star handsets work with iridium then?

No - they have their own similar network though, which, if it ever shut down, would mean I'd get an Iridium phone. In fact, before I go on a world cruise, I'd get one anyway.

Hankat November 7th 16 06:54 PM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
I have a very old and basic Nokia 1616 (it has a torch and that is as good
as it gets) I use Pay AS you Go with EE.

I would guite like a smart phone (Android) now as I find my tablet useful
but a bit big.

I really don't understand about SIM cards and things. If I see a phone at
Asda or somewere - can I just buy it and put my card in.

Yes, that phone uses a mini sim and some androids use the same sim.

Not all tho, but EE will swap it for a nano sim if your new android uses one
of those instead.

Davey November 7th 16 06:56 PM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 18:08:54 +0000
John Rumm wrote:

Two; the phone you get from some supermarkets (like tesco) will
likely be locked to their network. So make sure you buy from a place
the does unlocked phones (carphone whorehouse normally do, as do
plenty of online sellers)

Tesco also sells unlocked 'phones.
..
--
Davey.

Rod Speed November 7th 16 07:00 PM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

Simon Mason wrote
DerbyBorn wrote

I have a very old and basic Nokia 1616 (it has a torch and
that is as good as it gets) I use Pay AS you Go with EE.

I would guite like a smart phone (Android)
now as I find my tablet useful but a bit big.

I really don't understand about SIM cards and things. If I see a
phone at Asda or somewere - can I just buy it and put my card in.

Dunno - I don't have a "proper" mobile phone, but you can get
these satellite phones which cost nothing to buy and cost just
£50 for 100 mins of calls from and to anywhere in the world.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwMJfjLWcAAvtu_.jpg

He'd be better off sticking with the Nokia 1616.

New mobiles are too small for my manly hands

Even sillier than you usually manage with smartphones.

and so I prefer to type on this - good for the train too.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpPg860WcAATn9k.jpg

More fool you. He's already said his tablet is a bit big, stupid.

Hankat November 7th 16 07:03 PM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
charles wrote in
:

In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
I have a very old and basic Nokia 1616 (it has a torch and that is as
good as it gets) I use Pay AS you Go with EE.

I would guite like a smart phone (Android) now as I find my tablet
useful but a bit big.

I really don't understand about SIM cards and things. If I see a
phone at Asda or somewere - can I just buy it and put my card in.

Theoretically yes, but inprobability no. Over the last few years, SIM
card sizes have reduced, so your old card probably won't fit. All you
need to do is to got a shop of your service provider and ask for a
replacement card of the correct size.

So would an EE Shop transfer my info to a new small sim?

The info isnt stored on the sim anymore with
current smartphones. Its in the smartphone now.

Hankat November 7th 16 07:12 PM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
I have a very old and basic Nokia 1616 (it has a torch and that is as
good as it gets) I use Pay AS you Go with EE.

I would guite like a smart phone (Android) now as I find my tablet
useful but a bit big.

I really don't understand about SIM cards and things. If I see a phone
at Asda or somewere - can I just buy it and put my card in.

Likely not as I discovered when changing a not that ancient Nokia N95 to a
Samsung S4 a few years ago. The simm card was different. But my local
Vodaphone shop sorted it for free. Or rather almost. They transferred my
account, but not my contact list.

With the Samsung, MyPhoneExplorer (free for a PC) was a saviour as it
allows you to access all the internal directories and transfer stuff
easily. Unlike the software Samsung supply for the PC.

Much better to use PhoneCopy.

Rod Speed November 7th 16 07:36 PM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

Brian Gaff wrote

Some do have both sockets though.

Dual sim phones normally have both sims the same size.

The cheaper never heard of them ranges tend to be this way I understand,

Plenty of Samsungs are dual sim.

but of course one might actually then need to get some data on the pay as
you go and this can be expensive.

I'm going to be in a similar position soon, and looking at prices and the
abilities of the new phones it could well be cheaper to use one on a
contract with all the thrown in freebies.

That hardly ever works out cheaper.

I do howeveer want to keep my number, so this might be where I get an
issue!

Nope.

critcher[_5_] November 7th 16 07:43 PM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

On 07/11/2016 18:56, Davey wrote:
On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 18:08:54 +0000
John Rumm wrote:

Two; the phone you get from some supermarkets (like tesco) will
likely be locked to their network. So make sure you buy from a place
the does unlocked phones (carphone whorehouse normally do, as do
plenty of online sellers)

Tesco also sells unlocked 'phones.
.

Just like their bank accounts.

JoeJoe November 7th 16 08:05 PM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

On 07/11/2016 14:56, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have a very old and basic Nokia 1616 (it has a torch and that is as good
as it gets) I use Pay AS you Go with EE.

I would guite like a smart phone (Android) now as I find my tablet useful
but a bit big.

I really don't understand about SIM cards and things. If I see a phone at
Asda or somewere - can I just buy it and put my card in.

Most smart phones are "locked" to a specific network, so simply
transferring the SIM to another phone (unless bought from EE) will not work.

You need to either:

1. Buy a phone from EE; or
2. Buy an "unlocked/SIM-free" phone;
3. Buy any phone and pay £10 to have it unlocked so that it can be used
with any SIM

Simon Mason November 7th 16 08:06 PM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

On Monday, 7 November 2016 19:00:22 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

and so I prefer to type on this - good for the train too.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpPg860WcAATn9k.jpg

More fool you. He's already said his tablet is a bit big, stupid.

I will film the idiots on the Hull - Glasgow train on Wednesday with their thumbs and tiny phones vs my Acer S7.

Oh and their poxy phones go dead in tunnels just like my Globalstar does.

Rod Speed November 7th 16 08:53 PM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

o.uk...

Bull**** they are.

Rod Speed November 7th 16 08:56 PM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

and so I prefer to type on this - good for the train too.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpPg860WcAATn9k.jpg

More fool you. He's already said his tablet is a bit big, stupid.

I will film the idiots on the Hull - Glasgow train on Wednesday
with their thumbs and tiny phones vs my Acer S7.

Irrelevant given that he has already decided that his tablet is too big,
stupid.

And you dont know that he plans to type much on it anyway.

Oh and their poxy phones go dead in tunnels just like my Globalstar does.

You dont know that he plans to use it in any train either.

And our tunnels have a decent phone service in them anyway.

Michael Chare[_4_] November 7th 16 09:11 PM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

On 07/11/2016 18:08, John Rumm wrote:
On 07/11/2016 14:56, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have a very old and basic Nokia 1616 (it has a torch and that is as
good
as it gets) I use Pay AS you Go with EE.

I would guite like a smart phone (Android) now as I find my tablet useful
but a bit big.

I really don't understand about SIM cards and things. If I see a phone at
Asda or somewere - can I just buy it and put my card in.

ok, two potential problems; one the sim card may be the wrong size -
easy to fix by getting a replacement or cutting down the one you have
(templates on the web).

Two; the phone you get from some supermarkets (like tesco) will likely
be locked to their network. So make sure you buy from a place the does
unlocked phones (carphone whorehouse normally do, as do plenty of online
sellers)

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini payg from 3 for £100 + Sim and use it
with a Vodafone contract Sim. Unlike some of the cheaper Android phones
the phone is fast enough to be usable.
(It was a special offer at the time which sold out very quickly)

--
Michael Chare

---

John Rumm November 7th 16 10:07 PM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

On 07/11/2016 20:05, JoeJoe wrote:
On 07/11/2016 14:56, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have a very old and basic Nokia 1616 (it has a torch and that is as
good
as it gets) I use Pay AS you Go with EE.

I would guite like a smart phone (Android) now as I find my tablet useful
but a bit big.

I really don't understand about SIM cards and things. If I see a phone at
Asda or somewere - can I just buy it and put my card in.

Most smart phones are "locked" to a specific network, so simply
transferring the SIM to another phone (unless bought from EE) will not
work.

You need to either:

1. Buy a phone from EE; or
2. Buy an "unlocked/SIM-free" phone;
3. Buy any phone and pay £10 to have it unlocked so that it can be used
with any SIM

Walk into argos and by a Moto G - serious amount of grunt for the money.

--
Cheers,

John.

Tim+[_5_] November 7th 16 10:15 PM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

JoeJoe wrote:
On 07/11/2016 14:56, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have a very old and basic Nokia 1616 (it has a torch and that is as good
as it gets) I use Pay AS you Go with EE.

I would guite like a smart phone (Android) now as I find my tablet useful
but a bit big.

I really don't understand about SIM cards and things. If I see a phone at
Asda or somewere - can I just buy it and put my card in.

Most smart phones are "locked" to a specific network, so simply
transferring the SIM to another phone (unless bought from EE) will not work.

You need to either:

1. Buy a phone from EE; or
2. Buy an "unlocked/SIM-free" phone;
3. Buy any phone and pay £10 to have it unlocked so that it can be used
with any SIM

Potentially expensively misleading. Many phones may be unlocked cheaply but
by no means all.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

DerbyBorn[_5_] November 7th 16 10:46 PM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

Bloody hell - I was hoping I would understand it and see the logic.

Dave Plowman (News) November 8th 16 12:49 AM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
So would an EE Shop transfer my info to a new small sim?

Usually what happens is that they give you an entirely new multi SIM and
transfer your old number onto that within 24 hours.

Vodaphone did it while I waited. Walked in with a working old phone and
walked out with a working new one. Free.

Bought a new simm card for the old phone in Tesco (different number,
obviously) so have it as a spare.

--
*24 hours in a day ... 24 beers in a case ... coincidence? *

Dave Plowman (News) November 8th 16 12:52 AM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

In article 2,
DerbyBorn wrote:

Bloody hell - I was hoping I would understand it and see the logic.

Don't see why you'll have a problem if sticking with your existing
network. Their shops should be capable of dealing with all the options.

--
*I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out *

Simon Mason November 8th 16 03:46 AM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

Brian Gaff wrote:

Is this not going to very soon be obsolete though?

No.

https://www.iridium.com/

How many times do you need to "discover" or be told that what you have
isn't an iridium phone?

Just bought this for half the price of a new one.

http://ebay.eu/2fVLMR9

Rod Speed November 8th 16 05:59 AM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

Brian Gaff wrote:

Is this not going to very soon be obsolete though?

No.

https://www.iridium.com/

How many times do you need to "discover" or be told that what you have
isn't an iridium phone?

Just bought this for half the price of a new one.

http://ebay.eu/2fVLMR9

Terminally stupid call costs.

Simon Mason November 8th 16 06:11 AM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

On Tuesday, 8 November 2016 05:59:52 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

Just bought this for half the price of a new one.

http://ebay.eu/2fVLMR9

Terminally stupid call costs.

Agreed - after this runs out, I will let it lapse until my two cruises in 2017.

http://ebay.eu/2fxLe3n

http://bit.ly/2fbNJry

http://bit.ly/2eyrkRe

Capitol November 8th 16 12:25 PM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

DerbyBorn wrote:
wrote in
:

In 1.92.236,
wrote:

I have a very old and basic Nokia 1616 (it has a torch and that is as
good as it gets) I use Pay AS you Go with EE.

I would guite like a smart phone (Android) now as I find my tablet
useful but a bit big.

I really don't understand about SIM cards and things. If I see a
phone at Asda or somewere - can I just buy it and put my card in.

Theoretically yes, but inprobability no. Over the last few years, SIM
card sizes have reduced, so your old card probably won't fit. All you
need to do is to got a shop of your service provider and ask for a
replacement card of the correct size.

So would an EE Shop transfer my info to a new small sim?

Yes.

JoeJoe November 8th 16 02:22 PM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

On 07/11/2016 22:15, Tim+ wrote:
JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

Fair enough - just Google first to make sure the model can be unlocked
before you buy.

I agree that Moto G is the way to go in terms of value for money.

MuddyMike November 9th 16 11:03 AM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

On 08/11/2016 14:22, JoeJoe wrote:
On 07/11/2016 22:15, Tim+ wrote:
JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

I buy mobile handsets for my employers. When paid for in full without
contract every phone I have ever bought has been completely free of any
network tie. So no need to unlock whatever sim we put in them.

Also when issuing new sim cards these days they are all multi format.
You just break the sim out of the card to the size needed for the phone.
I have in the past broken them out to a large size sim to copy data from
the old handset, then break it down again to the correct size for the
new handset

These days SIM cards come in three sizes:

Standard SIM (15 x 25mm)
Micro SIM (12 x 15mm)
Nano SIM (8.8 x 12.3mm)

Mike

Simon Mason November 9th 16 11:23 AM

Mobile Phone advice (OT)

On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 11:03:06 UTC, Muddymike wrote:

These days SIM cards come in three sizes:

Standard SIM (15 x 25mm)
Micro SIM (12 x 15mm)
Nano SIM (8.8 x 12.3mm)

What about my SIM though?