DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Combi boiler pressure part 2! (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/5795-combi-boiler-pressure-part-2-a.html)

Richard Markham February 3rd 04 12:30 AM

Combi boiler pressure part 2!

If my system pressure goes from 1 bar cold to 2.3 bar hot, Have I got a
problem with the expansion tank?
--
Richard Markham

IMM February 3rd 04 12:57 AM

"Richard Markham" wrote in message
If my system pressure goes from 1 bar cold to 2.3 bar hot, Have I got a
problem with the expansion tank?

Yes. Check its charge pressure. Sounds as if all pressure has gone.

Andy Hall February 3rd 04 01:35 AM

Combi boiler pressure part 2!

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 00:30:18 +0000, Richard Markham
wrote:

If my system pressure goes from 1 bar cold to 2.3 bar hot, Have I got a
problem with the expansion tank?

Is this a new phenomenon, or has it always done it?

If it's recent, and was OK in the past then it's likely that the
pressure vessel has lost pressure and needs to have some air added via
(e.g.) a footpump, or it is possible that the diaphragm inside has
sprung a leak, in which case that means a new pressure vessel.

If it has happened from new, then it could be that the expansion
capacity in the system is inadequately sized and a larger or an
additional vessel is needed. Often in these cases, the pressure
relief valve lifts and water is ejected. Then on cooling the pressure
drops below what it was before - a vicious circle because you keep
topping up to no avail.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Ed Sirett February 3rd 04 07:54 PM

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 00:30:18 +0000, Richard Markham wrote:

If my system pressure goes from 1 bar cold to 2.3 bar hot, Have I got a
problem with the expansion tank?

Possibly, see FAQ below.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk