The Natural Philosopher

Default OT Salting the road

Jerry Built wrote:

I can, however, sypmathise when it
comes to many people's poor driving these days, and also when it
comes to their absolute lack of preparation. As you say, there was
plenty of warning - but many drivers took NO heed!

Tell me about it. On thursday I was able to make good speed on snow
covered roads. Yesrday I got held up by someone who had dared venture
out onto slush, and was doing 10 mph were I had gaily been able to do 30
the day before. No chance of overtaking since she sat in the middle of
the road the whole way..

Andrew

In article , Jerry Built
] writes
Parish wrote:
MrCheerful wrote:
"Peter Taylor" wrote...
Sorry - I just feel like having a good moan. Here on the Chilterns
we had max 4cm of snow at 5.00pm last night. I live on a steep
hill on the main A404 from HIgh Wycombe to Amersham. There was
plenty of warning of the snow but we never saw a salt lorry all
day. So there was pack ice on the road and everybody was slipping
and sliding - it took my neighbour from 4.30 to 11.30pm to do 8
miles to get home!!!! No change this morning - still pack ice and
the traffic has been solid again since about 6.00am. Now at
10.20am the first grit lorry has just gone past.

Pack ice??? I don't believe it. I can, however, sypmathise when it
comes to many people's poor driving these days, and also when it
comes to their absolute lack of preparation. As you say, there was
plenty of warning - but many drivers took NO heed!

It amazes me - everyone knew there was going to be snow (and you
can guarantee if there's any about that the tops of the Chilterns
will get it) but we STILL get this nightmare every time.

Q.E.D.

J.B.

Thameslink Trains (Bedford to Brighton right through Lunnon) obviously
heard the 5-day forecast last Weekend and put up posters telling people
that there could be 'trouble' and helpfully reminded us that the well-
known problem of the 'wrong sort of snow getting into the traction
motors' was being addressed. They have been addressing that problem
since Feb 1991 when it first became obvious.
--
Andrew
Peter Taylor

Jerry Built wrote

Pack ice??? I don't believe it.

What do you call it then? It's packed snow turned to sheet ice. The whole road
was a skating rink. This is the story in the local paper yesterday - the
picture, taken 1½ hours after my original post on Thursday morning, is about
500m from here, on the opposite slope. Many of the vehicles visible were
abandoned the night before

http://tinyurl.com/28yz7

I can, however, sypmathise when it
comes to many people's poor driving these days, and also when it
comes to their absolute lack of preparation. As you say, there was
plenty of warning - but many drivers took NO heed!

That is so true, but conditions here were truly treacherous and I can forgive a
lot of the cautiousness. Without the congestion there would probably have been
much more serious accidents and injuries. I do think this was a special case -
two steep hills on a major road, a danger spot at the best of times, left
totally without protection from ice and snow. Today we've got gales and heavy
rain washing away all the filthy salt that was eventually put down too late.
) Roll on Spring!

Peter

Parish

Peter Taylor wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/28yz7

chuckle Liked this line at the bottom of the page:

"....see today's Bucks Free Press, priced 40p"