Peter

Default Soil Stack Sorrows

Hi
Well it's got to the stage where the new bog has to go in. Unfortunately the
bread knife wants it three feet to the left of where it's predesessor was
located. This obviously means putting it on a pedestal (I could use the
wife's, she doesn't use it much these days) which would look horrible, or
bugger about with the soil stack to get the requisite fall.
Unfortunately soil stacks are one of my plumbing gremlins, though I suppose
they are only waste pipes but bigger. We live in the top flat of three
fortunately, so it wouldn't be too risky to cut into it.
Do I need some sort of slip coupling to add in any new lengths?
Does anyone know where I can learn about this subject, information seems
hard to come by.
Many thanks.

enuff

"Peter" wrote in message
Hi
Well it's got to the stage where the new bog has to go in. Unfortunately

the
bread knife wants it three feet to the left of where it's predesessor was
located. This obviously means putting it on a pedestal (I could use the
wife's, she doesn't use it much these days) which would look horrible, or
bugger about with the soil stack to get the requisite fall.
Unfortunately soil stacks are one of my plumbing gremlins, though I

suppose
they are only waste pipes but bigger. We live in the top flat of three
fortunately, so it wouldn't be too risky to cut into it.
Do I need some sort of slip coupling to add in any new lengths?
Does anyone know where I can learn about this subject, information seems
hard to come by.
Many thanks.

I assume that the existing waste-to-soil comes straight out of the wall at
the same height at the pans outlet? if so (and you are definately moving it
3 feet) then you need to raise the new pan approx 1.5-2 inches. My advice is
go to your local plumb merchant, explain the prob and ask what loos they
have that will minimise the hassle. i just put in 3 new loos utilising an
existing waste. IME just minimise any bends and *make sure* you put in a
rodding point!!

All the connectors and bits you need are a few quid from any plumbers
merchants, maybe £40 tops for the lot assuming you can only buy 3m lengths
of waste. If you;re in South Devon I've got loads of odd bits of waste pipe,
"T"'s and pan connectors!

Tony

PS. Notice I said "plumbers merchants" not "builders", IME they are more
helpful and have a wider range of "bits".