Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Mike Hall

Default Pulling cable through with existing one / Clipping cable in loft

Two quickies...

1. I am shortly to rewire my upstairs lighting, (the wiring is in the
loft). When new loft insulation is shortly added the cable will be
buried under the insulation, but I am not clear whether the regs
require that the cable needs fixing to the joists, or can just be laid
loose along the ceiling, (as the current wiring is).
[NB. We have already discussed the cable derating implications in
another thread].

2. In replacing the wiring to the light switches, I intend to use the
existing cable to pull through the new stuff, (it is in oval conduit).
Has anyone got any tips for how to mechanically connect the two
cables, obviously with the smallest possible cross section to enable
the joint to pass through the conduit. Is insulating tape generally
strong enough ??