Harry Bloomfield

Default Pulling cable through with existing one / Clipping cable in loft

Mike Hall wrote on 11/01/2004 :-
2. In replacing the wiring to the light switches, I intend to use the
existing cable to pull through the new stuff, (it is in oval conduit).
Has anyone got any tips for how to mechanically connect the two
cables, obviously with the smallest possible cross section to enable
the joint to pass through the conduit. Is insulating tape generally
strong enough ??

The usual way would be to strip several inches of the copper bare to
allow a loop to be formed in the copper in each of the wires to be
joined. That keeps the bulk down and is sometimes covered with a layer
of tape. Much depends on how much room is to spare in the conduit and
how freely the cable moves inside it.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT)...

Remove the 'NOSPAM' in my email address to reply.

Free Amateur Radio Courses:-
http://www.ukradioamateur.org