DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Using a mains powered lamp in a lighting circuit (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/4988-using-mains-powered-lamp-lighting-circuit.html)

James W January 8th 04 10:04 PM

Using a mains powered lamp in a lighting circuit

Hi

There is a little nook (or maybe a cranny)in my house that needs
lighting up. A little idea I have had is to wire a bog standard shop
bought mains powered lamp into the right lighting circuit.

Is there any problem with taking off the plug, and fitting the lamp
onto a lighting curcuit? I can't see one with a normal lamp, but
possibly with a mains powered halogen desk light for example?

Thanks in advance

James

The Natural Philosopher January 8th 04 11:19 PM

James W wrote:

Hi

There is a little nook (or maybe a cranny)in my house that needs
lighting up. A little idea I have had is to wire a bog standard shop
bought mains powered lamp into the right lighting circuit.

Is there any problem with taking off the plug, and fitting the lamp
onto a lighting curcuit? I can't see one with a normal lamp, but
possibly with a mains powered halogen desk light for example?

Don't see why not. I have rewired loads of standard lamps and table
lamps with 5A plugs to fit my secondary lighting circuits...

Thanks in advance

James

Bob Eager January 8th 04 11:56 PM

Using a mains powered lamp in a lighting circuit

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 22:04:33 UTC, (James W)
wrote:

Is there any problem with taking off the plug, and fitting the lamp
onto a lighting curcuit? I can't see one with a normal lamp, but
possibly with a mains powered halogen desk light for example?

Well, you'd need to use an FCU so that the connecting cable to the lamp
(flex?) was still correctly protected. For convenience, make that feed a
5A round pin socket so that you can more easily and safely maintain the
lamp.

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70...

Dave Plowman January 9th 04 12:03 AM

Using a mains powered lamp in a lighting circuit

In article ,
James W wrote:
There is a little nook (or maybe a cranny)in my house that needs
lighting up. A little idea I have had is to wire a bog standard shop
bought mains powered lamp into the right lighting circuit.

Best way to do this is to fit a 2 amp 3 pin socket to the lighting
circuit. I don't think the sheds stock them, but any wholesaler will. They
are the same size as a one gang 13 amp socket.

Is there any problem with taking off the plug, and fitting the lamp
onto a lighting curcuit? I can't see one with a normal lamp, but
possibly with a mains powered halogen desk light for example?

You could do this with a halogen low voltage desk light too ok - but if
you have a dimmer on the circuit it might have to be changed for a
suitable one as the transformer will be an inductive load.

--
*If you lived in your car, you'd be home by now *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Harry Bloomfield January 9th 04 11:37 AM

Using a mains powered lamp in a lighting circuit

On 08/01/2004 James W opined:-
There is a little nook (or maybe a cranny)in my house that needs
lighting up. A little idea I have had is to wire a bog standard shop
bought mains powered lamp into the right lighting circuit.

Is there any problem with taking off the plug, and fitting the lamp
onto a lighting curcuit? I can't see one with a normal lamp, but
possibly with a mains powered halogen desk light for example?

The usual way to do this would be to wire from the lighting circuit, to
a socket close to where you want the light. A 5amp 3pin plug and socket
is the one most often used for this purpose.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT)...

Remove the 'NOSPAM' in my email address to reply.

Free Amateur Radio Courses:-
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Frank Davis January 9th 04 12:46 PM

wrote:

Is there any problem with taking off the plug, and fitting the lamp
onto a lighting curcuit? I can't see one with a normal lamp, but
possibly with a mains powered halogen desk light for example?

A new extension in the house I bought has a few sockets that are
connected to the lighting circuit. They are round pin (presumably so
that you cannot accidentally plug in a 3 bar heater). It works fine
and was professionally installed so I assume it is legal.

P.S. I have found it very hard to find a source for round pin plugs

Hope this helps

Frank

Dave Plowman January 9th 04 03:44 PM

Frank Davis wrote:
P.S. I have found it very hard to find a source for round pin plugs

Any electrical wholesaler should stock them - TLC do. Think you may find 5
amp types in the larger B&Qs etc. I prefer 2 amp as they are neater

--
*Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Owain January 9th 04 05:30 PM

Using a mains powered lamp in a lighting circuit

"Frank Davis" wrote
| P.S. I have found it very hard to find a source for round pin plugs

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLPT2.html 2A
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLPT5.html 5A

Or your local electrical factors. NB round pin plugs are now supposed to
have sleeved pins as well.

Owain