Mike Mitchell

Default Dustbusters

Yesterday I was cleaning the gaps between my floorboards prior to
painting and the ordinary Hoover (actually it's an Electrolux) was
being a pain, as the hose is really bulky when you're crouched over
the gap with a broken hacksaw blade, freeing up the fluff.

So I thought, I know, I'll pop down to Currys and buy a Dustbuster.
But when I viewed what was on offer, I went back home again,
Dustbuster-less. These things look so tacky, they are the epitome of
complete crap. Plasticky, flimsy in the extreme, they look as if just
a strong grip would bust *them*. Not one was suitable. Currys had a
Hoover, a Carlton (some no-name brand), and about four different kinds
of the Black and Decker Dustbuster. Also, the prices! £37 for a
Dustbuster, when I can buy a proper vaccum cleaner for not much more.
And that was not the most expensive. Another thing about the design I
didn't like: They all seemed tremendously cumbersome - great chunks of
plastic, not compact, small handy tools like one would imagine.
Useless.

So, Black + Decker, Bosch, Siemens! I know you all peruse these
groups. Hang your collective heads in shame at such rip-offs and
design something that is about the size of a blowtorch that looks like
it might last a bit longer than the trip home.

MM
Alan

In message , Mike Mitchell
wrote

So I thought, I know, I'll pop down to Currys and buy a Dustbuster.
But when I viewed what was on offer, I went back home again,
Dustbuster-less. These things look so tacky, they are the epitome of
complete crap.

I bought something similar a lot cheaper from Lidl - it's completely
useless.

The advertisements on TV prior to Christmas for the Black and Decker
(??) showed how good it was at sucking up puffed rice breakfast cereal.
I guess that's just about the limit of its performance.
--
Alan

Nervous O'Toole

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
[...]

Got a B&D Dustbuster here and am very pleased with it.

Saves getting the vacuum cleaner out of it's hole for minor stuff.

Doctor D.

You are correct about the cheaper Dustbusters not sucking very well, however
the 9.6 volt version is excellent.

They are pretty resilient, the only doubt being part of the wall bracket
which I have repaired. It is adequate for vacuuming the stair carpet, and
deals happily with the eating mess created by two children under 5. They are
not cheap though.

Tesco are currently selling a Samsung 1400 watt cylinder vacuum for £19.99.
It was £60 according to their adverts and a friend who has bought one tells
me it's great value for money.

MrCheerful

[...]

I bought a lidl one for 9.99 it is very useful for odd small jobs. However
I would not recommend it for diy stuff. It has not got the capacity and
fills up too fast. However for ten pounds with a two year guarantee it is
great. I had a dustbuster before and that had similar problems. I would
recommend a small hoover dedicated for diy. You can always modify the hose
end for a special application or even take the nozzle off which is usually
the most practical for the job you mention.

MrCheerful

Brendan DJ Murphy

The advertisements on TV prior to Christmas for the Black and Decker
(??) showed how good it was at sucking up puffed rice breakfast cereal.

Which sucks more...
The dustbuster or Currys?

Brendan
NEVER GO TO CURRYS: http://www.djmurphy.demon.co.uk/dixons.htm

--
Rayleigh, Essex (51:34N 0:36E 30m asl)
Castle Point Astronomy Club http://www.cpac.org.uk

Mark S.

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 09:43:42 +0000, Mike Mitchell
wrote:

[...]

I sold a Delta one on Ebay that someone had given me rather than
chucking it out and the cheeky buggers want to return it and their
£3.20 refunding...

Mark S.

mike ring

Mike Mitchell wrote in
:

So, Black + Decker, Bosch, Siemens! I know you all peruse these
groups. Hang your collective heads in shame at such rip-offs and
design something that is about the size of a blowtorch that looks like
it might last a bit longer than the trip home.

MM

You're dead right, I bought one for minor domestic dusting, and it's prettu
useless suckwise, the dirt spreads all round it's container and the filter
so emtying is a nightmare.

But the cleverest feature on my B&D 3.6 is that the exhaust blows out of
the sides and *forward*, conveniently blowing the dust all over the shop
before the nozzle can get to it.

A touch of genius

mike r
Mike Mitchell

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 16:48:36 +0000, Mark S.
wrote:

I sold a Delta one on Ebay that someone had given me rather than
chucking it out and the cheeky buggers want to return it and their
£3.20 refunding...

.....and they only used it once - on Rice Krispies! Honestly, the cheek
of some people!

MM
DAVID HAMM

"Doctor D." wrote in message

Tesco are currently selling a Samsung 1400 watt cylinder vacuum for

£19.99.
It was £60 according to their adverts and a friend who has bought one

tells
me it's great value for money.

I bought one of those last Monday (I thought they were good value enough and
it sucks quite well) to use for a dust extraction system. If it doesn't
work, what have I lost, but 20 squids?
It's only drawback, is the size of the dust bag. It's tiny.

Dave

Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 23:49:20 +0000 (UTC), DAVID HAMM wrote:

I bought one of those last Monday (I thought they were good value
enough and it sucks quite well) to use for a dust extraction system.
If it doesn't work, what have I lost, but 20 squids?
It's only drawback, is the size of the dust bag. It's tiny.

To over come the small bag use it as the suck for a cyclone separator
(dustbin, bucket, some rigid pipe and another length of hose). As
dicussed several times in here.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Lawrence

My experience of B&D dustbusters is that it does not do what it says.
I bought one for use on a boat and found the filter does not catch
dust, Comet swopped it for another and again dust everywhere. B&D
said not disigned for picking up dust but larger particles, i.e. rice
crispies.

I have a henry that does everything well. gravle soot, carpets. you
name it. best £80-£100 I ever spent.

wrote:

[...]

usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk
Andrew

"Brendan DJ Murphy" wrote in message ...
Which sucks more...
The dustbuster or Currys?

Brendan
NEVER GO TO CURRYS: http://www.djmurphy.demon.co.uk/dixons.htm

On a sample of one I have found Curry's customer service to be
excellent. My Grundig freeview box packed up after a few months. I had
no receipt or packaging so I put it in a Tesco carrier bag and took it
back to the shop, expecting a fight. I was immediately disarmed by the
member of staff who said "no problem, just take it to the till and
they'll organise a replacement for you". They were able to confirm my
purchase by entering the date (from my credit card statement) into the
till and searching for my name. A duplicate receipt was printed and I
was presented with a replacement, more expensive, make (The Grundigs
were out of stock so no extra to pay). It must have taken less than 10
minutes.
Mike Mitchell

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 12:47:07 +0000, Lawrence
wrote:

My experience of B&D dustbusters is that it does not do what it says.
I bought one for use on a boat and found the filter does not catch
dust, Comet swopped it for another and again dust everywhere. B&D
said not disigned for picking up dust but larger particles, i.e. rice
crispies.

Then why the heck do they call them Dustbusters?!! I have always
avoided B & D like the plague, and this reinforces my view.

MM
John Rumm

Dave Liquorice wrote:

To over come the small bag use it as the suck for a cyclone separator
(dustbin, bucket, some rigid pipe and another length of hose). As
dicussed several times in here.

Like:

http://www.internode.ltd.uk/cyclone/

--
Cheers,

John.

R W

wrote:

I sold a Delta one on Ebay that someone had given me rather than
chucking it out and the cheeky buggers want to return it and their
£3.20 refunding...

....and they only used it once - on Rice Krispies!

.... while they recorded a TV advert....

Honestly, the cheek
of some people!

MM

Dave

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Dave Liquorice wrote:

To over come the small bag use it as the suck for a cyclone separator
(dustbin, bucket, some rigid pipe and another length of hose). As
dicussed several times in here.

Like:

http://www.internode.ltd.uk/cyclone/

That is just what I intended to do, but I have a couple of questions about
the bucket used for the inner part of the cyclone.
Is the diameter and depth critical to its operation?

TIA

Dave

ps I loaded some new BT software into my computer and it changed me name
from Dave to my full name :-((
Now I should be showing as Dave again.

N. Thornton

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 12:47:07 +0000, Lawrence

My experience of B&D dustbusters is that it does not do what it says.
I bought one for use on a boat and found the filter does not catch
dust, Comet swopped it for another and again dust everywhere. B&D
said not disigned for picking up dust but larger particles, i.e. rice
crispies.

Hi. I have a recommendation. Those old hoover dustettes. They got a
lot of mention in that famous BMJ report, but dont let that put you
off Anyway theyre hand held, about the size of a dustbuster but
plus they have a great big bag on the back end. Theyre mains, which
makes them powerful and very long lasting. You can get them from way
back when, still working fine, they filter properly, and cost a fiver
at most. Make those modern offerings look like the junk they are.

Regards, NT

Oh, and in case some nut thinks the BMJ article is actually a good
idea, the cast metal fan blade on dustettes is _very_ close to the
intake.
Dave

"Dave" wrote in message

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Dave Liquorice wrote:

To over come the small bag use it as the suck for a cyclone separator
(dustbin, bucket, some rigid pipe and another length of hose). As
dicussed several times in here.

Like:

http://www.internode.ltd.uk/cyclone/

That is just what I intended to do, but I have a couple of questions about
the bucket used for the inner part of the cyclone.
Is the diameter and depth critical to its operation?

TIA

Dave

Just a thought, if Dave Liquorice has replied to me, I can't see his posts.
I asked about this some time ago and others thought that I might be running
a kill file. The last time I was missing his posts, I was running windoze
98se, now I am running XP and still not seeing his posts. As far as I can
see, it is only Dave's posts that do not appear from my server (btinternet).
and have never put a kill file into use.

Any ideas any one?

Dave

John Rumm

Dave wrote:

That is just what I intended to do, but I have a couple of questions about
the bucket used for the inner part of the cyclone.
Is the diameter and depth critical to its operation?

Sorry for the delay in responding....

I expect the answer to that is "yes and no". I doubt it makes that much
difference - the main purpose of it seems to be to help get the air
rotating and also to prevent a direct path for dust to be sucked from
the input to the exhaust.

I am sure if you analyse it scientifically, you would find that it will
effect performance - but probably not enough for you to care in this
application. (if you did not have the added filtration of the vacuum
cleaner to follow then you would need to pay more careful attention to
the smaller details).

--
Cheers,

John.

Dave

"John Rumm" wrote in message
news
Dave wrote:

That is just what I intended to do, but I have a couple of questions

about
the bucket used for the inner part of the cyclone.
Is the diameter and depth critical to its operation?

Sorry for the delay in responding....

Don't worry, we all have lives to live :-)

I expect the answer to that is "yes and no". I doubt it makes that much
difference - the main purpose of it seems to be to help get the air
rotating and also to prevent a direct path for dust to be sucked from
the input to the exhaust.

Initially, I was bothered about these details in case I filled the source
vac with dust too quick, but when I looked at how it worked, I very quickly
found out that what was required was that the speed of air going in had to
far exceed the speed that it was drawn out, hence the large diam. of the
bucket protecting the suction device.

If the bucket was too deep, there would be less collection capacity.

If too shallow, there would be more dust passed to the suction device. I
think this aspect should be considered with the height of the inlet pipe to
the chamber. The higher the inlet, the shallower can be the bucket portion.

If too wide, it may hinder the passage of the dust to the more stable lower
chamber of the cyclone.

If too narrow, the speed of entry of the dust would be close to the speed of
extraction

I am sure if you analyse it scientifically, you would find that it will
effect performance - but probably not enough for you to care in this
application. (if you did not have the added filtration of the vacuum
cleaner to follow then you would need to pay more careful attention to
the smaller details).

A simple cloth filter at the bottom of the bucket would sort that out and
could be made to be cleanable from a small diam. shaft, connected to the
filter, that would enable the dust to be shaken off from above. Pump the
handle up and down a few times to shake off the dust collected. With the
suction device switched off of course.

All I have to buy now, is the input and output pipe and I will still have
change from a tenner :-))))))))
Not that I am tight, you understand ;-)

John Rumm

Dave wrote:

Initially, I was bothered about these details in case I filled the source
vac with dust too quick, but when I looked at how it worked, I very quickly
found out that what was required was that the speed of air going in had to
far exceed the speed that it was drawn out, hence the large diam. of the
bucket protecting the suction device.

Ultimately the speed in and out must be the same though because the
collection hose from the vacuum supply is the same diameter as the dust
collection hose.

If the bucket was too deep, there would be less collection capacity.

true

If too shallow, there would be more dust passed to the suction device. I
think this aspect should be considered with the height of the inlet pipe to
the chamber. The higher the inlet, the shallower can be the bucket portion.

In theory so long as it protects the incoming airflow from any
turbulence generated by the exhaust then it should be fine.

If too wide, it may hinder the passage of the dust to the more stable lower
chamber of the cyclone.

Yup - planer shavings etc.

If too narrow, the speed of entry of the dust would be close to the speed of
extraction

Can only see that becoming an issue when the bin gets to nearly full -
the faster airflow up the smaller bucket may be able to "lift" some
finer dust from the top of the pile, whereas, a slower airflow in a
larger bucket will be less likely to do this.

application. (if you did not have the added filtration of the vacuum
cleaner to follow then you would need to pay more careful attention to
the smaller details).

A simple cloth filter at the bottom of the bucket would sort that out and
could be made to be cleanable from a small diam. shaft, connected to the
filter, that would enable the dust to be shaken off from above. Pump the
handle up and down a few times to shake off the dust collected. With the
suction device switched off of course.

Not sure a cloth filter would help much - the only stuff that gets as
far as the vacuum bag is as fine or finer than talcum power - and that
would either pass through a cloth filter, or possibly form an air tight
clog.

If you want top quality filtration with no "filters" as such anywhere in
the system, then you would probably be better off with a different
design (i.e. one that has a conical cyclone section that sits above the
collection bin rather than combining the bin and cyclone, and one that
uses a long straight input pipe (i.e couple of meters). That would
ensure best quality airflow in, followed by much greater acceleration of
the air speed in the cyclone - that way you could spin out stuff as fine
as smoke particles)

All I have to buy now, is the input and output pipe and I will still have
change from a tenner :-))))))))
Not that I am tight, you understand ;-)

It's normally the extra hoses / adaptors that cost the money!

--
Cheers,

John.

Dave

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Dave wrote:

Initially, I was bothered about these details in case I filled the

source
vac with dust too quick, but when I looked at how it worked, I very

quickly
found out that what was required was that the speed of air going in had

far exceed the speed that it was drawn out, hence the large diam. of the
bucket protecting the suction device.

Ultimately the speed in and out must be the same though because the
collection hose from the vacuum supply is the same diameter as the dust
collection hose.

Sorry, but a slight correction here :-)

The speed is dependent on the diameter of the pipe in question. I was
thinking about the diameter of the bucket. Volume, I think, is what you
meant.

If too shallow, there would be more dust passed to the suction device. I
think this aspect should be considered with the height of the inlet pipe

the chamber. The higher the inlet, the shallower can be the bucket

portion.

In theory so long as it protects the incoming airflow from any
turbulence generated by the exhaust then it should be fine.

Noted.

If too wide, it may hinder the passage of the dust to the more stable

lower
chamber of the cyclone.

Yup - planer shavings etc.

Thanks, I had not considered this point, I was looking at it from a circular
saw and router point of view.

If too narrow, the speed of entry of the dust would be close to the

speed of
extraction

Can only see that becoming an issue when the bin gets to nearly full -
the faster airflow up the smaller bucket may be able to "lift" some
finer dust from the top of the pile, whereas, a slower airflow in a
larger bucket will be less likely to do this.

This is what I am going for. Thanks again.

A simple cloth filter at the bottom of the bucket would sort that out

and
could be made to be cleanable from a small diam. shaft, connected to the
filter, that would enable the dust to be shaken off from above. Pump the
handle up and down a few times to shake off the dust collected. With the
suction device switched off of course.

Not sure a cloth filter would help much - the only stuff that gets as
far as the vacuum bag is as fine or finer than talcum power - and that
would either pass through a cloth filter, or possibly form an air tight
clog.

OK then, the filter has been binned, thanks again.

If you want top quality filtration with no "filters" as such anywhere in
the system, then you would probably be better off with a different
design (i.e. one that has a conical cyclone section that sits above the
collection bin rather than combining the bin and cyclone, and one that
uses a long straight input pipe (i.e couple of meters). That would
ensure best quality airflow in, followed by much greater acceleration of
the air speed in the cyclone - that way you could spin out stuff as fine
as smoke particles)

It's only a hobby ;-)
All I want to do is stop me from changing the colour of the garden when I
DIY (I have to work outside, due to lack of garage/workshop. It's a PITA,
but what else can I do but wait for dry and non cold weather :-(

All I have to buy now, is the input and output pipe and I will still

have
change from a tenner :-))))))))
Not that I am tight, you understand ;-)

It's normally the extra hoses / adaptors that cost the money!

Thankfully, I have most of those, it's just the rigid waste pipe I have to
buy now.

I know I have said thanks many times in this post, but you have taken me
from not knowing much about how they work, to almost an expert ;-)

I mean this most sincerely folks (who remembers who said that?)

Dave

John Rumm

Dave wrote:

Ultimately the speed in and out must be the same though because the
collection hose from the vacuum supply is the same diameter as the dust
collection hose.

Sorry, but a slight correction here :-)

The speed is dependent on the diameter of the pipe in question. I was
thinking about the diameter of the bucket. Volume, I think, is what you
meant.

sort of - yes it is volume of air (as in m^3/hr) that must match in and
out - but note I did say the hose diameters at the tool and the vacuum
supply are about equal - hence the air speed at the hoses will also be
about equal. Having said all that, part of the purpose of the bucket in
the type of design we are using here is to make this a "non issue" since
the exhaust hose never gets near the top of the collected shavings in
the bin.

Yup - planer shavings etc.

Thanks, I had not considered this point, I was looking at it from a circular
saw and router point of view.

Its probably not an issue to worry about - it would be mechanically
difficult to have a gap between the outside of the bucket and the inside
of the bin that is less than the diameter of the inlet hose. Hence if it
gets all the way down the hose it is less likely to get stuck then (more
likely to get stuck in the hose)

OK then, the filter has been binned, thanks again.

Part of the attraction of the cyclone anyway is not having to worry
about filters/bags etc any more.

uses a long straight input pipe (i.e couple of meters). That would
ensure best quality airflow in, followed by much greater acceleration of
the air speed in the cyclone - that way you could spin out stuff as fine
as smoke particles)

It's only a hobby ;-)
All I want to do is stop me from changing the colour of the garden when I

Well the unit I built will certainly handle that requirement. I use my
one for all dust collecting and general cleaning up in the workshop.
It's fine for hand tools etc and things like the table saw. I expect
something with a bigger diameter input might be good if I got something
like a thicknesser or a bench planer though.

DIY (I have to work outside, due to lack of garage/workshop. It's a PITA,
but what else can I do but wait for dry and non cold weather :-(

Aha - perhaps you need to have a bash at one of the other projects that
pre-dated the need for the cyclone...

(think this link is still in another thread some place - so you may have
seen it already)

http://www.internode.ltd.uk/workshop

(I had the similar problem to you - either work outside, or work inside
and incur the wrath of SWMBO. Neither were ideal for any job that you
needed to stop and start over a few days)

It's normally the extra hoses / adaptors that cost the money!

Thankfully, I have most of those, it's just the rigid waste pipe I have to
buy now.

Must admit I found having the fixed plumbing from vacuum to cyclone was
a bit limiting as the collection hose was not always long enough to get
to every place I wanted it. So I scrounged an old set of vacuum tools
from my mum's under stairs cupboard! That works quite well as I now can
move the cyclone itself a couple of meters when I need to.

I know I have said thanks many times in this post, but you have taken me
from not knowing much about how they work, to almost an expert ;-)

Well I would not claim to be any sort of expert myself on cyclone design
- but fortunately they don't seem that sensitive to design in this
application! ;-)

I mean this most sincerely folks (who remembers who said that?)

Hughey Green would be my guess?

--
Cheers,

John.

Dave

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Dave wrote:

DIY (I have to work outside, due to lack of garage/workshop. It's a

PITA,
but what else can I do but wait for dry and non cold weather :-(

Aha - perhaps you need to have a bash at one of the other projects that
pre-dated the need for the cyclone...

(think this link is still in another thread some place - so you may have
seen it already)

http://www.internode.ltd.uk/workshop

LOL That road looks very familiar :-)
Gone down that sort of path before, usually because of the wife's butterfly
mind.

(I had the similar problem to you - either work outside, or work inside
and incur the wrath of SWMBO. Neither were ideal for any job that you
needed to stop and start over a few days)

One day I might get a shed that can have the tools set out, but I'm not
holding my breath.

Cheers

Dave