Saeed

Default Where to get a simple 100ml plastic syringe

I would like to inject some PVA bonding into holes drilled into old
plaster that has become "unfastened" from the wall; it's still on tbe
wall but tapping it with the fingers gives that hollow sound. It seems
like a worthwhile idea to see if by this injection the plaster can
become solidly stuck back to the wall, before calling in the plasterer.

Trouble is I can't find any syringes at all in B & Q, Wickes, etc. I
suppose I could use one of those would glue bottles with the screw top
pointed nozzles, but a syringe allows for higher pressure which will
help to ensure maximum coverage.

Kind regards,

Saeed

sr_ng 786

Set Square

Saeed wrote:

I would like to inject some PVA bonding into holes drilled into old
plaster that has become "unfastened" from the wall; it's still on tbe
wall but tapping it with the fingers gives that hollow sound. It seems
like a worthwhile idea to see if by this injection the plaster can
become solidly stuck back to the wall, before calling in the
plasterer.

Trouble is I can't find any syringes at all in B & Q, Wickes, etc. I
suppose I could use one of those would glue bottles with the screw top
pointed nozzles, but a syringe allows for higher pressure which will
help to ensure maximum coverage.

Kind regards,

Saeed

sr_ng 786

Have you thought of raiding the kitchen, and using the device used for
basting roast joints? [It's a long glass or plastic tube with a nozzle at
one end and a hollow rubber bulb at the other. You squeeze and release the
bulb to suck up liquid, and then squeeze it again to expel it]

I bought a cheap plastic one from Sainsburys for under a quid - which I use
for all sorts of DIY jobs. [SWMBO won't let me use her superior glass model!
g] Not sure how much pressure you can generate - but probably enough to
deliver PVA to the back of loose plaster. Mind you, it only holds about 30ml
at a time - but is very quick to refill.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Jonathan

"Saeed" wrote in message

I would like to inject some PVA bonding into holes drilled into old
plaster that has become "unfastened" from the wall; it's still on tbe
wall but tapping it with the fingers gives that hollow sound. It seems
like a worthwhile idea to see if by this injection the plaster can
become solidly stuck back to the wall, before calling in the plasterer.

Trouble is I can't find any syringes at all in B & Q, Wickes, etc. I
suppose I could use one of those would glue bottles with the screw top
pointed nozzles, but a syringe allows for higher pressure which will
help to ensure maximum coverage.

Kind regards,

Saeed

sr_ng 786

I`m not sure that will work, the glue will only be bonding the loose
particles together,
I don`t think you will get a clean enough wall to stick to, if it is old
lime based plaster
that has "lost it`s guts" as we say, then it will have no strength to hold
itself together,
even with glue helping.
What we usually find when we are hacking off old plaster, is that the wall
paper is
actually holding it all together and large amounts fall off.
Sounds like you need plasterer.
Just my two pence worth.

Booga.

PoP

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 02:52:43 -0000, "Jonathan"
wrote:

Sounds like you need plasterer.

The suggested PVA option sounds a whole lot cheaper than a plasterer,
and could be actioned within hours - try finding a plasterer!

It's a no-loss situation. Trying the PVA approach will cost pence. If
it doesn't work then no harm done, and experience gained.

PoP

Replying to the email address given by my news reader
will result in your own email address being instantly
added to my anti-spam database! If you really want to
contact me try changing the prefix in the given email
address to my newsgroup posting name.....

Dave Stanton

Trouble is I can't find any syringes at all in B & Q, Wickes, etc. I
suppose I could use one of those would glue bottles with the screw top
pointed nozzles, but a syringe allows for higher pressure which will help
to ensure maximum coverage.

Kind regards,

Saeed

sr_ng 786

Local model shops. I believe the radio control guys use them for fueling.

Dave

Anna Kettle

A similar method is used by building conservators to help support
'important' plaster which has come adrift. It is not especially
successful in my experience but worth a try. Make a drain hole at the
bottom so with luck you can see when the excess fluid starts to come
out.

Start by wetting the space with water (+a dash of soap to make it
wetter) first otherwise it will be so dry that the pva won't spread.
Make the pva mix very watery too. One of those flexible syringe
extenders helps to spread the liquid around

Anna
--
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plasterwork, plaster conservation

Nic O'Demus

"Saeed" wrote in message

I would like to inject some PVA bonding into holes drilled into old
plaster that has become "unfastened" from the wall; it's still on tbe
wall but tapping it with the fingers gives that hollow sound. It seems
like a worthwhile idea to see if by this injection the plaster can
become solidly stuck back to the wall, before calling in the plasterer.

Trouble is I can't find any syringes at all in B & Q, Wickes, etc. I
suppose I could use one of those would glue bottles with the screw top
pointed nozzles, but a syringe allows for higher pressure which will
help to ensure maximum coverage.

Kind regards,

Saeed

sr_ng 786

I get mine (used) from a local vet.

The Natural Philosopher

Jonathan wrote:

"Saeed" wrote in message

[...]

Oh, it does indeed work VERY will - I had som craecked screed and I
glued it back together with duluted PVA - lots - poured into the crack.
It shrank back to a very tight joint indeed.

What we usually find when we are hacking off old plaster, is that the wall
paper is
actually holding it all together and large amounts fall off.
Sounds like you need plasterer.
Just my two pence worth.

Booga.

Gavin Gillespie

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
. ..
Saeed wrote:

Trouble is I can't find any syringes at all in B & Q, Wickes, etc.

On sale with the Elastoplast etc in any supermarket... in Italy.

The British are very uptight about sales of syringes and needles.

Heaven
alone knows why, you would think it better to ensure that IV drug
abusers at least have access to a cheap, safe supply of needles and
syringes.

Not many of our drug users are on 100ml doses.

Smaller sizes of syringes are usually available free to addicts.

Steve

"Gavin Gillespie" wrote in message

Smaller sizes of syringes are usually available free to addicts.

Yes, they are available in grey plastic roll-up packs, and can be found
dumped in many local parks, shrubberies, public toilets etc.

John Woodhall

"Steve" wrote in message

"Gavin Gillespie" wrote in message

Smaller sizes of syringes are usually available free to addicts.

Yes, they are available in grey plastic roll-up packs, and can be found
dumped in many local parks, shrubberies, public toilets etc.

Any nurse, paramedic, doctor, dentist, etc should be able to get you rucks.
They come in really useful.

Jet

snip
Trouble is I can't find any syringes at all in B & Q, Wickes, etc. I
suppose I could use one of those would glue bottles with the screw top
pointed nozzles, but a syringe allows for higher pressure which will
help to ensure maximum coverage.

Hi Saeed,

Had to do this myself so I dug a used silicone tube out of the wheelie bin,
unscrewed (eventually) the nozzle and inserted one of SWMBO's finest
knitting needle into the hole (Backwards, holding pointy end or you risk
puncturing the disk) to force the plunger disk out. Clean the tube / nozzle
/ plunger disk then fill with pva

Reusable a few times, too

hth
--
Jet

geoff

In message , Saeed
writes

I would like to inject some PVA bonding into holes drilled into old
plaster that has become "unfastened" from the wall; it's still on tbe
wall but tapping it with the fingers gives that hollow sound. It seems
like a worthwhile idea to see if by this injection the plaster can
become solidly stuck back to the wall, before calling in the plasterer.

Trouble is I can't find any syringes at all in B & Q, Wickes, etc. I
suppose I could use one of those would glue bottles with the screw top
pointed nozzles, but a syringe allows for higher pressure which will
help to ensure maximum coverage.

Doctor or pharmacist (or if you need bigger, a vet) - where else?
--
geoff
James Salisbury

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Saeed
writes

I would like to inject some PVA bonding into holes drilled into old
plaster that has become "unfastened" from the wall; it's still on tbe
wall but tapping it with the fingers gives that hollow sound. It seems
like a worthwhile idea to see if by this injection the plaster can
become solidly stuck back to the wall, before calling in the plasterer.

Trouble is I can't find any syringes at all in B & Q, Wickes, etc. I
suppose I could use one of those would glue bottles with the screw top
pointed nozzles, but a syringe allows for higher pressure which will
help to ensure maximum coverage.

Doctor or pharmacist (or if you need bigger, a vet) - where else?
--
geoff

I think either rswww.com or www.farnell.com MAY have them

PoP

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 20:34:20 GMT, "Jet"
wrote:

Had to do this myself so I dug a used silicone tube out of the wheelie bin,
unscrewed (eventually) the nozzle and inserted one of SWMBO's finest
knitting needle into the hole (Backwards, holding pointy end or you risk
puncturing the disk) to force the plunger disk out. Clean the tube / nozzle
/ plunger disk then fill with pva

Screwfix do a bag of 12 new nozzles for 99 pence - item #84994. I
bought a bag last week when ordering something else.

Reason for getting these nozzles was that I'm fed up of throwing away
half a tube of Gripfill (or similar) when I'm part way thru a job. Now
I don't think it will extend the Gripfill past the end of the job, but
if it can just hold back the inevitable for a couple of hours that'll
do me.

Haven't tried it out yet, but for a few pence I may save a few pounds.

PoP

Replying to the email address given by my news reader
will result in your own email address being instantly
added to my anti-spam database! If you really want to
contact me try changing the prefix in the given email
address to my newsgroup posting name.....
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

Had to do this myself so I dug a used silicone tube out of the wheelie bin,
unscrewed (eventually) the nozzle and inserted one of SWMBO's finest
knitting needle into the hole (Backwards, holding pointy end or you risk
puncturing the disk) to force the plunger disk out. Clean the tube / nozzle
/ plunger disk then fill with pva

Screwfix do a bag of 12 new nozzles for 99 pence - item #84994. I
bought a bag last week when ordering something else.

Good griefe. I had about 6 spare nozzles last month - if you are really
going through (in my case decorators caulk) why bother to cut a new
nozzle and fill it with gunk. I simply fitted nozzle to new tibe,
thereby not wasting what was in it, and acquiring several new nozzles as
I worked my way through a sixc pack of tbes,.

(For teh curious, green oak shrinks in a massive way after a couple of
years, and decorators caulk is the bees knees for tidying up in a
redecoration exercise).

Reason for getting these nozzles was that I'm fed up of throwing away
half a tube of Gripfill (or similar) when I'm part way thru a job. Now
I don't think it will extend the Gripfill past the end of the job, but
if it can just hold back the inevitable for a couple of hours that'll
do me.

Put a nail in the end.

Haven't tried it out yet, but for a few pence I may save a few pounds.

PoP

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 12:33:48 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Put a nail in the end.

Guess who forgets to have nails to hand?

Though I have put some gaffer tape over the end of the nozzle before
now. That does the trick for a short period.

Plastic Shed PoP UK diy 9 December 19th 03 04:52 PM
Thin plastic gasket Martin Angove UK diy 3 October 10th 03 12:48 AM
Marley Equator - plastic plumbing Troy UK diy 5 August 26th 03 07:37 PM
Plastic filler (grout) round bath? Alan Holmes UK diy 1 August 10th 03 02:10 PM
Plastic Pipes in central heating Zetor UK diy 6 August 2nd 03 12:18 PM