Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UPVC door lock gear box: Anyone advise on replacing this one?

Hi,
The gearbox in my UPVC door has stopped working. Can anyone advise on selecting a replacement? The backset is 35mm and the distance between the centres is 92mm. There are many gear boxes on ebay with these specifications - but can I find one that can take my existing roller-studded locking strips? Or do I need to replace the entire locking hardware? Here is a photo of the way the stud-strips engage with the gearbox (see my pink arrow):

http://fffbook.com/lock3.jpg

Is that rectangular engaging-hole universal, or is every lock different? I don't know the make of my gearbox. It has a couple of labels with German text (no brand name). There is a number inside the gear box: 12160.

Here is a pic of the complete gearbox and connecting hardwa

http://fffbook.com/lock1.jpg

Should I just toss the existing hardware and buy a complete new "universal" one? Any recommendations that are cheap but effective?

Thanks for any help.

JD
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 25 October 2016 15:55:17 UTC+1, JD wrote:
[...]

Take the busted one down to your local PVC windows supplier & they'll sell you a replacement.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, October 25, 2016 at 4:48:36 PM UTC+1, harry wrote:
[...]

Thanks; I'm sure you are right, but owing to the lack of competition in my locality, it would cost an arm and a leg. These things aren't cheap, even on eBay. I don't want to spend any more than I have to, because I'm planning to change the whole door as soon as I can find a suitable (used) replacement.

Change Fullex UPVC front door lock for "Lift and Lock" type? Scrump UK diy 8 May 31st 09 08:50 PM
Replacing a lock in a uPvc door. Dee UK diy 5 June 20th 08 10:05 AM
uPVC Door Lock Wolverine UK diy 3 June 14th 07 10:07 AM
Replacing Euro Lock Cylinders in uPVC French Doors Paul UK diy 1 March 8th 05 06:01 PM