Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cloneing (sp) a garage door remote

Any recommendations. Lots of bad reports on these devices. The installer, many many years ago, wanted £60 for the second remote so I ran him out of it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
Any recommendations. Lots of bad reports on these devices. The installer, many many years ago, wanted £60 for the second remote so I ran him out of it.

I suspect that for something of that age, the codes will be non -rolling
and therefore quite easy to clone.

Is it infra red or radio? Radio ones should have an MPT spec number in
which case your cloner needs to support that.
If infra red, take a digital video* of the out put when you press a
button. Slow it down on the computer and work out the data rate and use
that to select your cloner

*Virtually all camera respond to IR and show it a white light on replay.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, October 25, 2016 at 3:49:28 PM UTC+1, Bob Minchin wrote:
fred wrote:
Any recommendations. Lots of bad reports on these devices. The installer, many many years ago, wanted £60 for the second remote so I ran him out of it.

I suspect that for something of that age, the codes will be non -rolling
and therefore quite easy to clone.

Is it infra red or radio? Radio ones should have an MPT spec number in
which case your cloner needs to support that.
If infra red, take a digital video* of the out put when you press a
button. Slow it down on the computer and work out the data rate and use
that to select your cloner

*Virtually all camera respond to IR and show it a white light on replay.

Bob

Bob many thanks. Most helpful. It is indeed radio so I will have a look for the MPT spec number.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
Any recommendations. Lots of bad reports on these devices. The installer, many many years ago, wanted £60 for the second remote so I ran him out of it.

I suspect that for something of that age, the codes will be non -rolling
and therefore quite easy to clone.

Is it infra red or radio? Radio ones should have an MPT spec number in
which case your cloner needs to support that.
If infra red, take a digital video* of the out put when you press a
button. Slow it down on the computer and work out the data rate and use
that to select your cloner

*Virtually all camera respond to IR and show it a white light on replay.

Bob

Bob many thanks. Most helpful. It is indeed radio so I will have a look for the MPT spec number.

Having looked around it seems that vast majority of systems will be
MPT1340 operating on 433.(92?) MHz
This is the spec for the radio part and will support fixed and rolling
codes. Cloners seem to support both too.

Ebay cloners seem pretty cheap and if they don't/won't learn from yours
send em back for credit. Once you have a good one, buy another and keep
your original old one in a cotton wool lined box in your sock drawer as
one day it will give up the ghost and you will have nought to teach new
ones from.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
[...]

These people may be able to offer a solution. They seem to cover a wide
range on makers.
http://www.garage-door-remotes.co.uk/

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
fred wrote:
Any recommendations. Lots of bad reports on these devices. The installer,
many many years ago, wanted £60 for the second remote so I ran him out of
it.

I suspect that for something of that age, the codes will be non -rolling
and therefore quite easy to clone.

Is it infra red or radio? Radio ones should have an MPT spec number in
which case your cloner needs to support that.
If infra red, take a digital video* of the out put when you press a
button. Slow it down on the computer and work out the data rate and use
that to select your cloner

*Virtually all camera respond to IR and show it a white light on replay.

Bob

Where can I buy a cloner? How do I know what its data rate is before buying?
Surely it will be a uniquely coded sequence, not just a rate?
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/10/2016 14:47, fred wrote:
Any recommendations. Lots of bad reports on these devices. The installer, many many years ago, wanted £60 for the second remote so I ran him out of it.

The door we have has a procedure for adding more remotes. I just bought
a cheap remote on ebay and added it.

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
Any recommendations. Lots of bad reports on these devices. The installer,
many many years ago, wanted £60 for the second remote so I ran him out of
it.

I suspect that for something of that age, the codes will be non -rolling
and therefore quite easy to clone.

Is it infra red or radio? Radio ones should have an MPT spec number in
which case your cloner needs to support that.
If infra red, take a digital video* of the out put when you press a
button. Slow it down on the computer and work out the data rate and use
that to select your cloner

*Virtually all camera respond to IR and show it a white light on replay.

Bob

Where can I buy a cloner? How do I know what its data rate is before buying?
Surely it will be a uniquely coded sequence, not just a rate?

Yes but if you send the code at the wrong rate, the receiver won't
decode it.
Have you not heard of ebay? The place to get almost anything.

remote garage door openers Doug[_14_] Home Repair 15 October 25th 11 10:20 PM
Trouble with garage door remote stavros Home Repair 4 May 3rd 10 09:15 PM
decent garage door remote Karl Townsend Metalworking 11 August 22nd 07 03:46 AM
Garage door remote Bill Home Repair 1 July 11th 06 12:02 AM
Garage Door Remote Robert11 Home Ownership 2 July 24th 05 07:18 PM