Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Patio awning recommendations...

One for TMH perhaps.

We'd like to fit an awning over our patio. We have about about 25cm between
the top of the window and the soffits. Lengthwise we'd like something
about 3M long. Reachwise, 3M out the way would also be nice but I've no
idea how far you can safely go in this direction.

I'm guessing that for longer reaches some sort of load-spreading frame on
the wall becomes necessary.

Any tips, thoughts?

Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 14:12:31 -0000 (UTC), Tim+
wrote:

One for TMH perhaps.

We'd like to fit an awning over our patio. We have about about 25cm between
the top of the window and the soffits.

So a bungalow (or a very low house or very high patio)? ;-)

Lengthwise we'd like something
about 3M long. Reachwise, 3M out the way would also be nice but I've no
idea how far you can safely go in this direction.

I was kindly given something very similar by one of the other nice
Tims here (Mr Lamb) but because it was fitted to a bungalow, it was
mounted on two 75mm square steel posts that were set in the ground in
front of some French windows.

I'm guessing that for longer reaches some sort of load-spreading frame on
the wall becomes necessary.

When you feel the (not inconsiderable) weight and look at the length
of the lever (~10:1?) I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to mount it
directly to any wall over a large doorway and certainly where there
wasn't a substantial amount of wall above the height of the awning
(like on a bungalow) to keep everything in place.

Any tips, thoughts?

Other than the above, I'm guessing many people fit these things where
I might not and have no issues ... or maybe they just make sure they
are retracted in any bad weather?

Cheers, T i m

Fiberglass entry and patio doors recommendations Tim[_6_] Home Repair 3 February 11th 09 02:24 AM
Patio Ideas - Stepping Out With Stone Patio Designs And Brick Patio Patterns trav Home Repair 1 September 24th 07 03:15 PM
Patio Awning/ Canopy. Someone UK diy 8 April 14th 07 10:12 PM
Awning Problems [email protected] Home Repair 1 December 9th 06 09:31 PM
large uPVC patio door recommendations? plus James UK diy 2 June 16th 04 07:37 PM