Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tefal Aquaspeed 5370 steam iron

How the hell do you get one opened up?

I think the thermostat is playing up and decided to have a look with an
eye to either cleaning it up or even replacing it.

I managed to remove the tail - two screws. Then another two screws, the
dark blue handle comes off. Which leaves the next step to contemplate -
and fail at!

I simply cannot see how to get any further. The "bit in the middle" is
clearly a bit loose but am not seeing what I need to do.

For now, have re-assembled.

Wish I had taken a photo or two - and will do if needed.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum writes:
How the hell do you get one opened up?

I think the thermostat is playing up and decided to have a look with an
eye to either cleaning it up or even replacing it.

I managed to remove the tail - two screws. Then another two screws, the
dark blue handle comes off. Which leaves the next step to contemplate -
and fail at!

I simply cannot see how to get any further. The "bit in the middle" is
clearly a bit loose but am not seeing what I need to do.

For now, have re-assembled.

Wish I had taken a photo or two - and will do if needed.

Irons can be a bit of a ******* to open - they come up at repair
events often. The challenge is to get them opened in such a way
that they can be closed again safely (i.e. without having broken
anything).

I don't memorise models, but common are screws hidden under labels,
and a screw hidden under the front of the handle, which can only be
seen when you've worked out how to get the cover off the area where
the steam control buttons are (without breaking it).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2016 00:13, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
polygonum writes:
[...]

When I was really quite young, I could disassemble and re-assemble our
old Hoover steam iron in very little time. I think it was because my
mother always let the mains flex twist and end up "bobbling" - so it
needed all too frequent replacement.

They don't make them like that any more... :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Oct 2016 08:30:10 +0100, polygonum
wrote:

snip

When I was really quite young, I could disassemble and re-assemble our
old Hoover steam iron in very little time. I think it was because my
mother always let the mains flex twist and end up "bobbling" - so it
needed all too frequent replacement.

They don't make them like that any more... :-)

And that's the bottom line isn't it. I've stripped lots of 'older
stuff' and it actually looks like it was 'designed' to be taken to
pieces and serviced and even if it wasn't, one wasn't actually
prevented from doing so by hidden screws, one-way clips or even
security screws.

I think along with energy ratings, equipment should also have a
serviceability rating ... but how many people (outside of here) would
take any notice of that? ;-(

Even something as big and expensive are bought because they 'look
good', with no regard to *any* other factor. But then, how often do
you see people with a sofa on the roof-rack, or anything 'substantial'
for that matter?

I've even had bikers question why I would tow a camping trailer behind
my motorbike ... because *their* use / understanding of motorbikes are
simply for speed and performance. Because I've never been interested
in speed or (sports) performance and the trailers we use are
specifically designed to be towed behind motorbikes and therefore you
aren't actually restricted by much as it's slightly narrower than my
touring luggage so I can still filter and my bike has more than enough
power that the (functional) performance isn't really affected either.

'Vehicles' for me (us) have always / only been about getting us and
our stuff from A to B and looking after them was part of that. Not
sure that is the case in general these days.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum writes:
[...]

Ah, when I were a lad, we had a shop nearby which stocked every single part
for Morphy Richards irons. ISTR that you could buy all parts and build one
cheaper than buy the complete thing
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._iron_1950.JPG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Brian Gaff" writes:
Most Tefal stuff seems to be rivetted. I had a toaster once where the cable
needed to be replaced. It seems as if you had to destroy it to get inside.

I think I've always been able to get into the case non-destructively
just using tools (often needed a security bit of some type).

However, most now assemble and then spot-weld the connections to the
elements, so they aren't intended to be replacable. There are some
notable exceptions, such as some Dualit (sp?) ones.

--
Andrew Gabriel