Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car bag-dehumidifier

Do the de-humidifier bags that sit on a car dashboard work?
Do you have to dry them out regularly?
OR what?
--
Jim S
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim S wrote:
Do the de-humidifier bags that sit on a car dashboard work?
Do you have to dry them out regularly?
OR what?

I have one that goes pink when it's absorbed a lot of water. You then
have to dry it out on a radiator. I've managed to persuade myself that
it does work, since it is silica gel, and how can it not, up to a point?
I do think that my windows are not so misty as (for example) the ones
in the missus' car in the morning. But, to be honest, you never really
know. Some of them have good reviews, so I can't be the only deluded
one :-) I can only say it's a good job they're so cheap.

In case you think I'm dead mean for not getting the missus one, she has
a Volvo with an air blast that can clear a windscreen in about three
seconds.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 3 Oct 2016 11:35:36 +0100, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

Jim S wrote:
Do the de-humidifier bags that sit on a car dashboard work?
Do you have to dry them out regularly?
OR what?

I have one that goes pink when it's absorbed a lot of water. You then
have to dry it out on a radiator. I've managed to persuade myself that
it does work, since it is silica gel, and how can it not, up to a point?
I do think that my windows are not so misty as (for example) the ones
in the missus' car in the morning. But, to be honest, you never really
know. Some of them have good reviews, so I can't be the only deluded
one :-) I can only say it's a good job they're so cheap.

In case you think I'm dead mean for not getting the missus one, she has
a Volvo with an air blast that can clear a windscreen in about three
seconds.

Thanks for that. I guessed that they weren't a wormhole to send the
moisture to another dimension. :-)
I live in the North East and already had problems and it's only just
October. However I have had my air-con re-pressurised since last winter and
will see whether it does the job it used to do. The ones I looked it on
Amazon were neither small nor cheap.
--
Jim S
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim S wrote:
[...]

I think we're at the wrong end of that wormhole :-)

I'm in the NW - cold and damp this morning.

The ones I see on Amazon today all seem to be 1 kilo bags. Mine is much
smaller. Perhaps they've learned that they need to be bigger to be
effective?

I live in the North East and already had problems and it's only just
October. However I have had my air-con re-pressurised since last winter and
will see whether it does the job it used to do. The ones I looked it on
Amazon were neither small nor cheap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 03/10/2016 13:41, Jim S wrote:

However I have had my air-con re-pressurised since last winter and
will see whether it does the job it used to do.

Good idea to also check the cabin filter isn't clogged or, on some
models, soaking wet...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim S wrote:
[...]

Also check for any water inside the car which shouldn't be, such as a
puddle in a footwell (or wet carpet/sound proofing). A clear cold sky
will cause that to migrate to the windscreen and roof as condensation.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 3 October 2016 11:01:43 UTC+1, Jim S wrote:
Do the de-humidifier bags that sit on a car dashboard work?
Do you have to dry them out regularly?
OR what?

Pointless
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/2016 15:39, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Also check for any water inside the car which shouldn't be, such as a
puddle in a footwell (or wet carpet/sound proofing). A clear cold sky
will cause that to migrate to the windscreen and roof as condensation.

+1

My Astra F developed a gradual failure of the mastic seal on the
join between side sections and roof panel, under the roof bars.

A gradual weapage of water went down the A pillar during heavy
rain and down under the carpet. I could smell the problem but
it was at least a year before the passenger footwell actually
showed signs of a puddle.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/2016 13:41, Jim S wrote:

I live in the North East and already had problems and it's only just
October. However I have had my air-con re-pressurised since last winter and
will see whether it does the job it used to do. The ones I looked it on
Amazon were neither small nor cheap.

I too had by AC serviced at the beginning of summer and only then did I
realise how far the performance of the AC had dropped. It was a joy to
drive in hot summer days

With my car selecting the 'direct air to the windscreen' position
automatically selects the AC to dry the air before heating it (assuming
heat is selected). The AC indicator light doesn't illuminate in this mode

Dehumidifier nospamplse Home Repair 3 August 20th 07 05:57 PM
Dehumidifier [email protected] Electronics Repair 17 August 6th 07 06:15 AM
dehumidifier Jay Stootzmann Home Repair 0 July 11th 07 03:31 AM
dehumidifier lls8000 Home Ownership 0 July 25th 05 04:46 PM
DIY Dehumidifier songofruth Home Repair 28 May 20th 05 10:41 AM