Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Just been scammed

Just looked at my bank statement and someone has scammed me out of £337. I hardly ever use that card anywhere as I use credit cards that give bonuses.

Bloke at the bank will refund me and get plod to look into it, but I even use a RF shield for the tap feature and pay in only cash at restaurants.

In 2008, I went to Moldova, paid cash everywhere and yet a card that I never even used got scammed for £13000.

Most od
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Somebody at your bank does not like you perhaps.

I think nowadays its a bit like a lottery. Not happened to me yet, but
somebody I know has had it twice.
There never seems to be any come back as to how these things happen, which
makes me wonder if the whole thing is a bit like shoplifting, put down to
natural wastage.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Simon Mason" wrote in message
Just looked at my bank statement and someone has scammed me out of £337. I
hardly ever use that card anywhere as I use credit cards that give bonuses.

Bloke at the bank will refund me and get plod to look into it, but I even
use a RF shield for the tap feature and pay in only cash at restaurants.

In 2008, I went to Moldova, paid cash everywhere and yet a card that I never
even used got scammed for £13000.

Most od

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 27 September 2016 07:15:15 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Somebody at your bank does not like you perhaps.

I think nowadays its a bit like a lottery. Not happened to me yet, but
somebody I know has had it twice.
There never seems to be any come back as to how these things happen, which
makes me wonder if the whole thing is a bit like shoplifting, put down to
natural wastage.

Not the bank but

A debit card payment of £327.58 to 800-9789064 was taken from your account.

Transaction type:

Debit Card (DEB)
?

Retailer Name:

800-9789064

Business Type:

Misc food Stores, Conv Stores, Markets, Speciality Stores and Vending Machines

Retailer Location:

Fife

Card Number:

3172

Authorisation Method:

Online/phone/mail order purchase

Currency amount:

USD 424.12
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
Somebody at your bank does not like you perhaps.

I think nowadays its a bit like a lottery. Not happened to me yet, but
somebody I know has had it twice.
There never seems to be any come back as to how these things happen, which
makes me wonder if the whole thing is a bit like shoplifting, put down to
natural wastage.

Hmmm.. Interesting experience re-ordering my Statins prescription...

Medical practice registration was originally directly with the practice.
This morphed to *my.visiononline.co.uk* with fresh registry details.
Last time I was there this had apparently changed to
*patient-services.co.uk* but still accepted my old log-in details.

This time I attempted to log in to the patient-services site and got an
unrecognised message and an offer to send reminder details.

They wanted D of B, sex, post code, name of house after already having
my log-in and password.

Still twitching:-(

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
Just looked at my bank statement and someone has scammed me out of £337. I
hardly ever use that card anywhere as I use credit cards that give bonuses.

Bloke at the bank will refund me and get plod to look into it, but I even
use a RF shield for the tap feature and pay in only cash at restaurants.

In 2008, I went to Moldova, paid cash everywhere and yet a card that I never
even used got scammed for £13000.

Most od

£300? That's peanuts to a man like you.
It's only a quarter of a watch.
Forget it, have 1 less take-away.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 27 September 2016 12:58:20 UTC+1, bm wrote:
"Simon Mason" wrote in message
Just looked at my bank statement and someone has scammed me out of £337. I
hardly ever use that card anywhere as I use credit cards that give bonuses.

Bloke at the bank will refund me and get plod to look into it, but I even
use a RF shield for the tap feature and pay in only cash at restaurants.

In 2008, I went to Moldova, paid cash everywhere and yet a card that I never
even used got scammed for £13000.

Most od

£300? That's peanuts to a man like you.
It's only a quarter of a watch.
Forget it, have 1 less take-away.

I got it today plus a rebate from Yorkshire Water - £400 for doing nowt.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pamela" wrote in message
On 20:30 27 Sep 2016, Simon Mason wrote:

On Tuesday, 27 September 2016 12:58:20 UTC+1, bm wrote:
"Simon Mason" wrote in message
Just looked at my bank statement and someone has scammed me out
of £

337. I
hardly ever use that card anywhere as I use credit cards that
give bonuse

s.

Bloke at the bank will refund me and get plod to look into it,
but I even

use a RF shield for the tap feature and pay in only cash at
restaurants.

In 208, I went to Moldova, paid cash everywhere and yet a card
that I ne

ver
even used got scammed for £13000.

Most od

£300? That's peanuts to a man like you.
It's only a quarter of a watch.
Forget it, have 1 less take-away.

I got it today plus a rebate from Yorkshire Water - £400 for
doing nowt.

We got £788 back from the water company last week. Maybe you can
appeal?

He does'nt appeal to me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pamela" wrote in message
On 03:32 28 Sep 2016, bm wrote:

"pamela" wrote in message

On 20:30 27 Sep 2016, Simon Mason wrote:

On Tuesday, 27 September 2016 12:58:20 UTC+1, bm wrote:

TRIMMED

£300? That's peanuts to a man like you. It's only a quarter
of a watch. Forget it, have 1 less take-away.

I got it today plus a rebate from Yorkshire Water - £400 for
doing nowt.

We got £788 back from the water company last week. Maybe you
can appeal?

He does'nt appeal to me.

Don't be too harsh on Simon. First he got his credit card scammed
by not taking sufficient precautions and then he gets
short-changed by his water company.

It's probably not funny being taken for a ride twice in a row.

Oh but it is hahahahahaha

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bm" wrote in message
eb.com...

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
Just looked at my bank statement and someone has scammed me out of £337. I
hardly ever use that card anywhere as I use credit cards that give
bonuses.

Bloke at the bank will refund me and get plod to look into it, but I even
use a RF shield for the tap feature and pay in only cash at restaurants.

In 2008, I went to Moldova, paid cash everywhere and yet a card that I
never even used got scammed for £13000.

Most od

£300? That's peanuts to a man like you.
It's only a quarter of a watch.
Forget it, have 1 less take-away.

I've just put in an online request to Aldi for a refund of 1.18 on an
unsatisfactory (quality) product

that's less than the interest I am losing by having 200 Euro I accidently
encumbered myself with, stuck in a drawer for 3 years

it's the principal

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 1:49:09 PM UTC+1, tim... wrote:
"bm" wrote in message
eb.com...

[...]

Interest ? You're earning interest on money ? Lucky you. Bloody banks are close to charging for a current account even if it is in credit and as for deposit rates. Pah !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 29 September 2016 09:45:00 UTC+1, fred wrote:

Interest ? You're earning interest on money ? Lucky you. Bloody banks are close to charging for a current account even if it is in credit and as for deposit rates. Pah !

My pension trustees pay me 5.5% on my £550000 pot for life index linked.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/09/2016 10:23, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 29 September 2016 09:45:00 UTC+1, fred wrote:

Interest ? You're earning interest on money ? Lucky you. Bloody banks are close to charging for a current account even if it is in credit and as for deposit rates. Pah !

My pension trustees pay me 5.5% on my £550000 pot for life index linked.

The way things are going you will need a lot more than that to get a
decent pension.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 29 September 2016 11:28:46 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 29/09/2016 10:23, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 29 September 2016 09:45:00 UTC+1, fred wrote:

Interest ? You're earning interest on money ? Lucky you. Bloody banks are close to charging for a current account even if it is in credit and as for deposit rates. Pah !

My pension trustees pay me 5.5% on my £550000 pot for life index linked.

The way things are going you will need a lot more than that to get a
decent pension.

The £18000 I get is more than enough as I only spend £500 pm including food and petrol which leaves me £10000 pa to spend on cruises etc.

In fact, I might go back to BP as I am bored.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 29 September 2016 09:45:00 UTC+1, fred wrote:

Interest ? You're earning interest on money ? Lucky you. Bloody banks
are close to charging for a current account even if it is in credit
and as for deposit rates. Pah !

My pension trustees pay me 5.5% on my £550000 pot for life index linked.

But what happens to the £550000 pot when you die? If the pension "fund"
retain it as with a traditional annuity then they could be paying part of
your pension from the pot rather than from earnings on the money
particularly in "bad" years.

Alan

--

Using an ARMX6
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 30 September 2016 10:45:26 UTC+1, Alan Dawes wrote:
In article ,
Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 29 September 2016 09:45:00 UTC+1, fred wrote:

Interest ? You're earning interest on money ? Lucky you. Bloody banks
are close to charging for a current account even if it is in credit
and as for deposit rates. Pah !

My pension trustees pay me 5.5% on my £550000 pot for life index linked.

But what happens to the £550000 pot when you die? If the pension "fund"
retain it as with a traditional annuity then they could be paying part of
your pension from the pot rather than from earnings on the money
particularly in "bad" years.

Our lass gets 50% of the £18000 until she dies, then the pot goes back into the system.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 29 September 2016 11:28:46 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 29/09/2016 10:23, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 29 September 2016 09:45:00 UTC+1, fred wrote:

Interest ? You're earning interest on money ? Lucky you. Bloody
banks are close to charging for a current account even if it is in
credit and as for deposit rates. Pah !

My pension trustees pay me 5.5% on my £550000 pot for life index
linked.

The way things are going you will need a lot more than that to get a
decent pension.

The £18000 I get is more than enough as I only spend £500 pm including
food and petrol which leaves me £10000 pa to spend on cruises etc.

5.5% of £550000 is £30250 so if you are only getting £18000 who is getting
the other £12250? Surely you are not paying that much tax unless you have
a very large amount of other untaxed income. Or are the "pension trustees"
deducting 40.5% of your yearly pension for their "services"?

Alan

--

Using an ARMX6
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 30 September 2016 11:02:02 UTC+1, Alan Dawes wrote:

The £18000 I get is more than enough as I only spend £500 pm including
food and petrol which leaves me £10000 pa to spend on cruises etc.

5.5% of £550000 is £30250 so if you are only getting £18000 who is getting
the other £12250? Surely you are not paying that much tax unless you have
a very large amount of other untaxed income. Or are the "pension trustees"
deducting 40.5% of your yearly pension for their "services"?

Sorry, I cocked it up.

The final pot was £550000, but I took the 25% tax free lump sum of £137500 which left a residual pot of £412500 which yields £22680 pa or about £18000 after tax.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 29 September 2016 09:45:00 UTC+1, fred wrote:

Interest ? You're earning interest on money ? Lucky you. Bloody banks
are close to charging for a current account even if it is in credit
and as for deposit rates. Pah !

My pension trustees pay me 5.5% on my £550000 pot for life index
linked.

But what happens to the £550000 pot when you die? If the pension "fund"
retain it as with a traditional annuity then they could be paying part of
your pension from the pot rather than from earnings on the money
particularly in "bad" years.

Our lass gets 50% of the £18000 until she dies, then the pot goes back
into the system.

So, you're not get 5.5% interest as some of the money they are paying you is
drawn down capital.

I could argue that my self invested, home made, pension plan is obtaining an
interest rate of 20% as I have 100K and I'm spending 20K of it each year.

In reality I'm getting 1% interest per year and I am depleting my savings to
provide the other 19%.

(FTAOD, whilst I do have investments that I am drawing down to supplement my
income, the actual numbers above are fictional - except the 1%, sadly)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 29 September 2016 09:45:00 UTC+1, fred wrote:

Interest ? You're earning interest on money ? Lucky you. Bloody banks
are close to charging for a current account even if it is in credit
and as for deposit rates. Pah !

My pension trustees pay me 5.5% on my £550000 pot for life index
linked.

But what happens to the £550000 pot when you die? If the pension "fund"
retain it as with a traditional annuity then they could be paying part of
your pension from the pot rather than from earnings on the money
particularly in "bad" years.

Our lass gets 50% of the £18000 until she dies, then the pot goes back
into the system.

So, you're not get 5.5% interest as some of the money they are paying you is
drawn down capital.

No - I have no access to the pot as the trustees have it for life.
They pay me 5.5% on the pot for as long as I live, although if I get a terminal illness they can increase it.

It is not drawdown, an annuity or any other similar scheme.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/2016 15:23, Simon Mason wrote:

It is not drawdown, an annuity or any other similar scheme.

Sounds like an annuity to me, you have a lump sum which you exchange for
income for life.

As long as the company providing the annuity is financially sound you
should be fine, maxwells wasn't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

It's not you choosing to do drawdown

but the amount paid to you is based upon some of the money being drawn down,
it isn't a simple payment of interest accrued

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 30 September 2016 16:06:12 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 30/09/2016 15:23, Simon Mason wrote:

It is not drawdown, an annuity or any other similar scheme.

Sounds like an annuity to me, you have a lump sum which you exchange for
income for life.

As long as the company providing the annuity is financially sound you
should be fine, maxwells wasn't.

I have no worries there.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CtOHNLRXgAALMKM.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 30 September 2016 18:37:36 UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
On Friday, 30 September 2016 16:06:12 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 30/09/2016 15:23, Simon Mason wrote:

It is not drawdown, an annuity or any other similar scheme.

Sounds like an annuity to me, you have a lump sum which you exchange for
income for life.

As long as the company providing the annuity is financially sound you
should be fine, maxwells wasn't.

I have no worries there.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CtOHNLRXgAALMKM.jpg

But the best thing was that I never paid a penny into it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2016 04:37, Simon Mason wrote:
Just looked at my bank statement and someone has scammed me out of £337. I hardly ever use that card anywhere as I use credit cards that give bonuses.

Bloke at the bank will refund me and get plod to look into it, but I even use a RF shield for the tap feature and pay in only cash at restaurants.

In 2008, I went to Moldova, paid cash everywhere and yet a card that I never even used got scammed for £13000.

Most od

another that scammed his way into money by not paying tax at the going rate.