Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Join between supporting wall and plasterboard.

Our staircase goes straight up the middle of the house (as opposed to,
what I think is more usual, an outside wall). Consequently, there is a
join between supporting walls downstairs, and the thin walls upstairs.
I've tried, over the years, to make a smooth filling between the two,
but eventually, it gets more uneven and visible over time. Can someone
suggest the best way to deal with it? Next thing I'm likely to try is
expanding foam, but is there anything better, or a completely different
approach (like putting a strip of wood in, and turning it into a
'feature', instead)?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim wrote:
"Dan S. MacAbre" Wrote in message:
Our staircase goes straight up the middle of the house (as opposed to,
what I think is more usual, an outside wall). Consequently, there is a
join between supporting walls downstairs, and the thin walls upstairs.
I've tried, over the years, to make a smooth filling between the two,
but eventually, it gets more uneven and visible over time. Can someone
suggest the best way to deal with it? Next thing I'm likely to try is
expanding foam, but is there anything better, or a completely different
approach (like putting a strip of wood in, and turning it into a
'feature', instead)?

Dado or picture rail, or similar , wide enough to attach to upper
wall, and extend over crack, but not fixed to lower
wall?

Thanks - I'd imagined something like that. Even though at one end it
would be lower than the top step, which might look odd, it would look
better than it does. Unfortunately, the lower wall is slightly convex
when looked at from the side in question, so only fixing it to the upper
wall may be tricker than I'm currently imagining :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2016 13:59, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Our staircase goes straight up the middle of the house (as opposed to,
what I think is more usual, an outside wall). Consequently, there is a
join between supporting walls downstairs, and the thin walls upstairs.
I've tried, over the years, to make a smooth filling between the two,
but eventually, it gets more uneven and visible over time. Can someone
suggest the best way to deal with it? Next thing I'm likely to try is
expanding foam, but is there anything better, or a completely different
approach (like putting a strip of wood in, and turning it into a
'feature', instead)?

I think I would go with the last option... I had a similar problem on a
loft conversion where I transitioned from the masonry wall of the house
to the stud wall of the new gable. This left a pronounced step out of
several inches. I ripped down some timber and rounded over the edge to
make a ledge to cover the join. See the last photo he

http://internode.co.uk/loft/stairs.htm

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Okay, thanks. I thought it may have been a silly idea, but it sounds
like it's not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 10:21:01 +0100, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

It's exactly what I would do, and have done (but in different situations
and with different solutions) in the past. Lateral thinking!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2016 13:59, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Our staircase goes straight up the middle of the house (as opposed to,
what I think is more usual, an outside wall). Consequently, there is a
join between supporting walls downstairs, and the thin walls upstairs.
I've tried, over the years, to make a smooth filling between the two,
but eventually, it gets more uneven and visible over time. Can someone
suggest the best way to deal with it? Next thing I'm likely to try is
expanding foam, but is there anything better, or a completely different
approach (like putting a strip of wood in, and turning it into a
'feature', instead)?

In this situation, normal to fit a expansion joint cover .... piece of
wood to match stairs for example ... fixed at one edge, and free to
accommodate any movement of wall .. and hide it.
Piece of ogee profile or similar usually used.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Okay, thanks. I'll go ahead and do it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

rick wrote:
On 13/09/2016 13:59, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Our staircase goes straight up the middle of the house (as opposed to,
what I think is more usual, an outside wall). Consequently, there is a
join between supporting walls downstairs, and the thin walls upstairs.
I've tried, over the years, to make a smooth filling between the two,
but eventually, it gets more uneven and visible over time. Can someone
suggest the best way to deal with it? Next thing I'm likely to try is
expanding foam, but is there anything better, or a completely different
approach (like putting a strip of wood in, and turning it into a
'feature', instead)?

In this situation, normal to fit a expansion joint cover .... piece of
wood to match stairs for example ... fixed at one edge, and free to
accommodate any movement of wall .. and hide it.
Piece of ogee profile or similar usually used.

Great idea. I'd imagined doing it with a plain piece, but profile would
look better.