Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT.....PBS America.

Fairly new TV channel.
Good documentaries.
Quite a lot of repeats.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2016 16:59, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
harry wrote:

Fairly new TV channel.
Good documentaries.
Quite a lot of repeats.

I get it on Freesat although I've not watched it yet. Used to watch it
in the States 30 years ago.

A little more OT, as a freesat user where is the best place to get
information on channels and programmes?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03-Sep-16 4:47 PM, harry wrote:
Fairly new TV channel...

New to you, perhaps. However, PBS has been around since 1970 and PBS
America has been available in the UK since 2011.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2016 16:47, harry wrote:
Fairly new TV channel.
Good documentaries.
Quite a lot of repeats.

Hardly a new channel, Harry. It's been available on Freesat for years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 3 September 2016 17:37:30 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
On 03/09/2016 16:47, harry wrote:
Fairly new TV channel.
Good documentaries.
Quite a lot of repeats.

Hardly a new channel, Harry. It's been available on Freesat for years.

Well it's just popped up on my screen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

Fairly new TV channel.
Good documentaries.
Quite a lot of repeats.

I get it on Freesat although I've not watched it yet. Used to watch it
in the States 30 years ago.

A little more OT, as a freesat user where is the best place to get
information on channels and programmes?

http://www.tvguide.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 Sep 2016 17:37:28 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 03/09/2016 16:47, harry wrote:
Fairly new TV channel.
Good documentaries.
Quite a lot of repeats.

Hardly a new channel, Harry. It's been available on Freesat for years.

Maybe he doesn't have freesat. Freeview and freesat are different.

--
The British government is going to impose a 40% tax on Aspirin.
"Why" you ask?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2016 16:47, harry wrote:
Fairly new TV channel.
Good documentaries.
Quite a lot of repeats.

It's been around a while.

They appear to have a set of programmes that they repeat endlessly for
around two weeks. After the two weeks they have another set of
programmes. The cycle seems to repeat for around 3 months before they
start all over again.

I agree that there have been some good documentaries.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

Fairly new TV channel.
Good documentaries.
Quite a lot of repeats.

I get it on Freesat although I've not watched it yet. Used to watch it
in the States 30 years ago.

A little more OT, as a freesat user where is the best place to get
information on channels and programmes?

http://www.tvguide.co.uk/

Thanks for that NP, cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 Sep 2016 09:40:04 -0700, harry wrote:

On Saturday, 3 September 2016 17:37:30 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
On 03/09/2016 16:47, harry wrote:
Fairly new TV channel. Good documentaries. Quite a lot of repeats.

Hardly a new channel, Harry. It's been available on Freesat for years.

Well it's just popped up on my screen.

Mine too. Never seen it on the menu until a few days ago.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/16 16:47, harry wrote:
Fairly new TV channel.
Good documentaries.
Quite a lot of repeats.

Why would The Prayer Book Society of America have a television channel?
TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 3 Sep 2016 17:27:50 +0100
Nightjar wrote:

On 03-Sep-16 4:47 PM, harry wrote:
Fairly new TV channel...

New to you, perhaps. However, PBS has been around since 1970 and PBS
America has been available in the UK since 2011.

When we lived in the US, it was the channel that provided a better view
of the news than the major networks, and also showed some old familiar
UK programming. It was indeed very good for documentaries.
As a channel, it did at a minimum accept that there was a world outside
of America.

A&E Channel and Discovery showed similar documentaries.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 03-Sep-16 4:47 PM, harry wrote:
Fairly new TV channel...

New to you, perhaps. However, PBS has been around since 1970 and
PBS America has been available in the UK since 2011.

When we lived in the US, it was the channel that provided a better
view of the news than the major networks, and also showed some old
familiar UK programming. It was indeed very good for documentaries.
As a channel, it did at a minimum accept that there was a world
outside of America.

A&E Channel and Discovery showed similar documentaries.

I enjoyed "History Detectives" and the long-series documentaries
(Italian Americans and Prohibition).

The Prohibition one (5 1-hour programmes) is well worth watching as
it did paint a much more nuanced picture of the events leading up to
it. It's also quite strangely contemporary, in that it's only in the
past 10,20 years that the US has really recovered from the
hammer-blow of prohibition and has started to rediscover a real
brewing heritage. The recent swell of "craft beers" may be of
interest to beer fans of the 21st century, but would have been very
familiar to the beer fans of the 19th century.

Plus ca change etc

I saw the 'History Detectives', and indeed enjoyed that series. I never
saw the other two you mention, but there was the Ken Burns series on
The Civil War. He did others, but that was the one I liked best. We
were living near Atlanta at the time, so there were several relevant
places within reach.

--
Davey.