Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Petrol lawnmower trouble

I've got a Hayter petrol lawnmower with a Briggs and Stratton 4 stroke engine.

In a moment of madness I turned it over to remove some blockages from the blade area.

There were some glugging and hissing noises!

Now it's very smokey. I've cleaned the air filter as per the instructions but it's still smokey.

Will it improve, have I killed it!?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2016 18:09, Murmansk wrote:
I've got a Hayter petrol lawnmower with a Briggs and Stratton 4 stroke engine.

In a moment of madness I turned it over to remove some blockages from the blade area.

There were some glugging and hissing noises!

Now it's very smokey. I've cleaned the air filter as per the instructions but it's still smokey.

Will it improve, have I killed it!?

Sounds like some sump oil has found its way into the cylinder. Should
burn off, given time. Keep running it for short periods, and clean the
plug after each run.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/16 18:09, Murmansk wrote:
I've got a Hayter petrol lawnmower with a Briggs and Stratton 4 stroke engine.

In a moment of madness I turned it over to remove some blockages from the blade area.

There were some glugging and hissing noises!

Now it's very smokey. I've cleaned the air filter as per the instructions but it's still smokey.

Will it improve, have I killed it!?

Yes. What you have probably done is allowed sump oil to ravel upwards to
somewhere it dont normally go - possibly into the exhaust, and possibly
into the cylinder if the exhaust valve was open.

check its still got enough oil in the sump (I assume a 4-stroke) and let
it run till it burns the oil off. A plug clean is a good idea.

its shoes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk wrote:
I've got a Hayter petrol lawnmower with a Briggs and Stratton 4 stroke engine.

In a moment of madness I turned it over to remove some blockages from the blade area.

There were some glugging and hissing noises!

Now it's very smokey. I've cleaned the air filter as per the instructions
but it's still smokey.

Will it improve, have I killed it!?

I discovered recently (after a neighbour's experience) that if you invert a
lawnmower, the oil will flow back up the crankcase breather into the carb
and will get ingested and soak the air filter. My neighbour's machine also
had oil in the fuel.

Not sure how the last occurs but it has a diaphragm carb. I don't know if
B&S carbs are similar but it would be worth checking the fuel for
contamination after you've checked the air filter.

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2016 18:09, Murmansk wrote:
I've got a Hayter petrol lawnmower with a Briggs and Stratton 4 stroke engine.

In a moment of madness I turned it over to remove some blockages from the blade area.

There were some glugging and hissing noises!

Now it's very smokey. I've cleaned the air filter as per the instructions but it's still smokey.

Will it improve, have I killed it!?

Chances are it will burn off with time. Chances are unlikely that you
have done it any permanent mischief!

The air filter on mine is a block of sponge, and its possible to get
that soaked with oil - you may need to wash though out in a bowl of
water and detergent to get rid of some of the oil. Also check the
dipstick to make sure it still has adequate oil.

--
Cheers,

John.