Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ply for woodstore roof

I'm putting together a woodstore, but am wondering what to use for the
roof, I've been considering ply, but even the exterior stuff will need
felt, it seems. Or would Flexacryl or several coats of exterior varnish
be sufficient?

I had a look at corrugated PVC, but it seems a lot thinner and flimsier
than I remember from use many years ago. Polycarbonate twinwall is
overkill and on the expensive side for this type of use.

Basically It doesn't have to last 20 years, but I'd like it to last at
least 10 before any repairs are needed.

Any other ideas for roofing?

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/2016 15:13, Jeff Layman wrote:
I'm putting together a woodstore, but am wondering what to use for the
roof, I've been considering ply, but even the exterior stuff will need
felt, it seems. Or would Flexacryl or several coats of exterior varnish
be sufficient?

I had a look at corrugated PVC, but it seems a lot thinner and flimsier
than I remember from use many years ago. Polycarbonate twinwall is
overkill and on the expensive side for this type of use.

Basically It doesn't have to last 20 years, but I'd like it to last at
least 10 before any repairs are needed.

Any other ideas for roofing?

https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/...m-x-950mm.html

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:

Jeff Layman wrote:

Any other ideas for roofing?

https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/...m-x-950mm.html

+1

But if you order onduline from them, make sure they don't deliver
coroline as another supplier did to me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman Wrote in message:
I'm putting together a woodstore, but am wondering what to use for the
roof, I've been considering ply, but even the exterior stuff will need
felt, it seems. Or would Flexacryl or several coats of exterior varnish
be sufficient?

I had a look at corrugated PVC, but it seems a lot thinner and flimsier
than I remember from use many years ago. Polycarbonate twinwall is
overkill and on the expensive side for this type of use.

Basically It doesn't have to last 20 years, but I'd like it to last at
least 10 before any repairs are needed.

Any other ideas for roofing?

Corrugated bitumen roofing sheets, such as Onduline is what I
would probably use

Chris French
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns Wrote in message:
Bill Wright wrote:

Jeff Layman wrote:

Any other ideas for roofing?

https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/...m-x-950mm.html

+1

But if you order onduline from them, make sure they don't deliver
coroline as another supplier did to me.

When I wanted a couple of sheets to roof a chicken coop last year
I bought them from Wickes. it doesn't say so on the sheets, but
it is apparently Onduline.

Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris French wrote:

When I wanted a couple of sheets to roof a chicken coop last year
I bought them from Wickes. it doesn't say so on the sheets, but
it is apparently Onduline.

No, if you check the barcode, it's coroline in Wickes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 25 August 2016 15:55:27 UTC+1, Chris French wrote:
Jeff Layman Wrote in message:
I'm putting together a woodstore, but am wondering what to use for the
roof, I've been considering ply, but even the exterior stuff will need
felt, it seems. Or would Flexacryl or several coats of exterior varnish
be sufficient?

I had a look at corrugated PVC, but it seems a lot thinner and flimsier
than I remember from use many years ago. Polycarbonate twinwall is
overkill and on the expensive side for this type of use.

Basically It doesn't have to last 20 years, but I'd like it to last at
least 10 before any repairs are needed.

Any other ideas for roofing?

Corrugated bitumen roofing sheets, such as Onduline is what I
would probably use

Chris French

Yup.
Just nails on (the crests)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris French wrote:

Andy Burns Wrote:

if you check the barcode, it's coroline in Wickes.

Well, if that's the case with mine
(and I did read it somewhere,
but things change) then it's plenty good enough for a wood store
as it's made a good roof for the coop. :-)

The difference is small, 3.0mm vs 2.3mm thickness I think.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
KYW KYW is offline

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
I'm putting together a woodstore, but am wondering what to use for the
roof, I've been considering ply, but even the exterior stuff will need
felt, it seems. Or would Flexacryl or several coats of exterior varnish be
sufficient?

I had a look at corrugated PVC, but it seems a lot thinner and flimsier
than I remember from use many years ago. Polycarbonate twinwall is
overkill and on the expensive side for this type of use.

Basically It doesn't have to last 20 years, but I'd like it to last at
least 10 before any repairs are needed.

Any other ideas for roofing?

Metal decking. Cost **** all for that size roof, lasts much longer than
40 years, need no structure at all, just a coupla bits of timber. Dont
need any real slope at all, just vary the depth of the timber is fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/16 15:13, Jeff Layman wrote:
I'm putting together a woodstore, but am wondering what to use for the
roof, I've been considering ply, but even the exterior stuff will need
felt, it seems. Or would Flexacryl or several coats of exterior varnish
be sufficient?

I had a look at corrugated PVC, but it seems a lot thinner and flimsier
than I remember from use many years ago. Polycarbonate twinwall is
overkill and on the expensive side for this type of use.

Basically It doesn't have to last 20 years, but I'd like it to last at
least 10 before any repairs are needed.

Any other ideas for roofing?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have a look at them over the weekend.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 9:05:37 PM UTC+1, KYW wrote:
"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
I'm putting together a woodstore, but am wondering what to use for the
roof, I've been considering ply, but even the exterior stuff will need
felt, it seems. Or would Flexacryl or several coats of exterior varnish be
sufficient?

I had a look at corrugated PVC, but it seems a lot thinner and flimsier
than I remember from use many years ago. Polycarbonate twinwall is
overkill and on the expensive side for this type of use.

Basically It doesn't have to last 20 years, but I'd like it to last at
least 10 before any repairs are needed.

Any other ideas for roofing?

Metal decking. Cost **** all for that size roof, lasts much longer than
40 years, need no structure at all, just a coupla bits of timber. Dont
need any real slope at all, just vary the depth of the timber is fine.

What I call corrugated iron, (i.e.) Corrugated galvanised metal sheet is the cheapest and strongest alternative. I once heard a structural engineer propound the the corrugated iron in the old round roofed shape hay barns, was the strongest part of the structure. And wern't some of the Nissen/ Quonset round roof huts made with corrugated steel sheets ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
fred wrote:

What I call corrugated iron, (i.e.) Corrugated galvanised metal sheet is the
cheapest and strongest alternative.

+1

Used it on 3 sheds now. I buy it from a recycling place (his corrugated
iron is new, but cheap and/or factory rejects: more than good enough for
stores/sheds).

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y
KYW KYW is offline

"fred" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, it is certainly cheaper, but nowhere near as strong as it is lighter
gauge
metal. And metal decking has no fasteners though the decking, it has clip
that are fastened to the rafters, the decking goes on those and is crimped
after that so there are no holes thought the decking at all. And works fine
at a much lower slope than corrugated galvanised metal sheet too so is
much cheaper structure wise for a small roof like that.

I once heard a structural engineer propound the the corrugated iron in the
old round roofed shape hay barns, was the strongest part of the structure.
And wern't some of the Nissen/ Quonset round roof huts made with
corrugated steel sheets ?

Yes, but a small woodstore roof isnt practical like that