Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More DIY (part 2)

I finished the second version:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...h#Second_Bench

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 2 August 2016 19:47:43 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
I finished the second version:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...h#Second_Bench

I think it's nicer than the one some bloke is making on More4 right now.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/2016 7:47 PM, John Rumm wrote:

I finished the second version:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...h#Second_Bench

Beautiful, John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 02/08/2016 19:47, John Rumm wrote:

I finished the second version:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...h#Second_Bench

Very nice they put my patio table to shame :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/2016 23:33, ss wrote:
On 02/08/2016 19:47, John Rumm wrote:

I finished the second version:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...h#Second_Bench

Very nice they put my patio table to shame :-(

I might have to do a table to go with them next ;-)

Got any photo's of the finished table yet?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 02/08/2016 23:33, ss wrote:
On 02/08/2016 19:47, John Rumm wrote:

I finished the second version:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...h#Second_Bench

Very nice they put my patio table to shame :-(

I might have to do a table to go with them next ;-)

Got any photo's of the finished table yet?

I'm glad that you guys have the time to do this stuff
I'm still trying to find time to tidy the shed.
Oh, the lympics start on Friday, that's buggered it and on Saturday I have
to fetch a pork sandwich, watch the weeds and brambles growing, think about
washing the car, find an excuse not to fit a wall cupboard, delay fixing an
intermittent combi.........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 2 August 2016 22:09:28 UTC+1, RayL12 wrote:
On 02/08/2016 7:47 PM, John Rumm wrote:

I finished the second version:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...h#Second_Bench

Beautiful, John.

+1. If only I had the time.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 03/08/2016 00:27, John Rumm wrote:
Got any photo's of the finished table yet?

As mentioned in previous posts I have to do the work outdoors so weather
plays a part. The pedestal / feet / and top frame are all glued/screwed
so now fitting the slats today and then coat it all in preservative.
Another day or two and should be finished. Will post a pic when done.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
writes
On Tuesday, 2 August 2016 22:09:28 UTC+1, RayL12 wrote:
On 02/08/2016 7:47 PM, John Rumm wrote:

I finished the second version:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...h#Second_Bench

Beautiful, John.

+1. If only I had the time.

+2 I particularly like the cut outs for the ears and antennae.

One thought... I guess 4" is amply wide enough to safely park a coffee
cup or beer mug but I like the flared section ending the arms of our
shop bought 2 seater. You might want to consider dipping the feet in
some grass safe timber preservative.

We have acquired 6 outdoor seats and rockers by purchase and inheritance
so I am not tempted to make mo-) They all spend the winter under
cover.

The rockers are a particularly ingenious design should anyone be
interested in a photo. I believe the maker has ceased production now.

NT

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2016 09:29, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message ,
writes
On Tuesday, 2 August 2016 22:09:28 UTC+1, RayL12 wrote:
On 02/08/2016 7:47 PM, John Rumm wrote:

I finished the second version:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...h#Second_Bench

Beautiful, John.

+1. If only I had the time.

+2 I particularly like the cut outs for the ears and antennae.

One thought... I guess 4" is amply wide enough to safely park a coffee
cup or beer mug but I like the flared section ending the arms of our
shop bought 2 seater.

;-) Great minds think alike it seems - SWMBO was suggesting a add on
table that could hang on an arm for a bit of extra drink or food space
etc. I might see what I can come up with.

I quite like the wide arms you get with the Adirondack design. I did
this one a while back:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ondakChair.jpg

I might do another of those so I have a pair.

You might want to consider dipping the feet in
some grass safe timber preservative.

Probably not a bad idea. I have oiled the first one, and will do similar
for the new one. Also I am told that western red cedar is supposed to be
"durable" anyway, although how well that works for ground contact
surfaces is another matter.

We have acquired 6 outdoor seats and rockers by purchase and inheritance
so I am not tempted to make mo-) They all spend the winter under cover.

The rockers are a particularly ingenious design should anyone be
interested in a photo. I believe the maker has ceased production now.

Yes please, always keen for suitable ideas to pinch^h^h^h^h^h^h build on ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
I finished the second version:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...h#Second_Bench

WOW!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes

Photos here.. http://s828.photobucket.com/user/TimLamb/library/

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2016 17:39, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
We have acquired 6 outdoor seats and rockers by purchase and inheritance
so I am not tempted to make mo-) They all spend the winter under
cover.

The rockers are a particularly ingenious design should anyone be
interested in a photo. I believe the maker has ceased production now.

Yes please, always keen for suitable ideas to pinch^h^h^h^h^h^h build
on ;-)

Photos here.. http://s828.photobucket.com/user/TimLamb/library/

Yup, see what you mean - kind of a "suspension" rocker. (i guess they
swing rather than rock as such?)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Aug 2016 19:47:45 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

I finished the second version:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...h#Second_Bench

That is amazing.

--
Hickory dickory dock, three mice ran up the clock. The clock struck one, and the others got away with minor injuries.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 3 August 2016 18:54:08 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 03/08/2016 17:39, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes

We have acquired 6 outdoor seats and rockers by purchase and inheritance
so I am not tempted to make mo-) They all spend the winter under
cover.

The rockers are a particularly ingenious design should anyone be
interested in a photo. I believe the maker has ceased production now.

Yes please, always keen for suitable ideas to pinch^h^h^h^h^h^h build
on ;-)

Photos here.. http://s828.photobucket.com/user/TimLamb/library/

Yup, see what you mean - kind of a "suspension" rocker. (i guess they
swing rather than rock as such?)

There's also a somewhat similar mechanism where the 2 steel suspension rods are lower down and strongly angled, and the chair does rock, but the feet stay still. Much safer for feet & tails.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 03/08/2016 17:39, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
We have acquired 6 outdoor seats and rockers by purchase and inheritance
so I am not tempted to make mo-) They all spend the winter under
cover.

The rockers are a particularly ingenious design should anyone be
interested in a photo. I believe the maker has ceased production now.

Yes please, always keen for suitable ideas to pinch^h^h^h^h^h^h build
on ;-)

Photos here.. http://s828.photobucket.com/user/TimLamb/library/

Yup, see what you mean - kind of a "suspension" rocker. (i guess they
swing rather than rock as such?)

Yes. Bit of a struggle to get seated but very comfortable once there.
The lower chain eyelets are through bolted as are the hooks at the top.
Unhooking the chains allows the stand to be easily separated from the
chair for moving/storage.

--
Tim Lamb