Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bad kettling

An old boiler (30 years or so) has been kettling increasingly over time, and is now doing so badly. It now kettles strongly while the flame is on, rather than when the pump stops. Previously it has been addressed by turning down the primary stat and fitting a pump overrun. Primary stat is at minimum.. The boiler weeps a bit at times, and is kept sealed up with sodium silicate in the primary, that's been in there for at least a decade. It still passes its tests, and replacement is planned for next year. But the level of kettling is now unacceptable.

I can only presume the cause of the problem is reduced flow. The question is why. Sludge? An ever growing lump of waterglass inside the boiler heat exchanger tubing? Gradual pump impellor disintegration? Something else? How can I find out, short of major dismantling?

All but one rads have a TRV. It's an S plan system.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 29 July 2016 19:18:36 UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

Kettling can be caused by several things.
One is local hot spots on the heat exchanger.
Caused by silt, corrosion and scale on the wet side.
(Prevents heat from transfering).
A chemical cleaning might fix it.
Might also start a leak or two!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 29 July 2016 19:45:22 UTC+1, harry wrote:
[...]

Additionally, you need to add chemicals to the water in the system system which reduces corrosion and also reduces kettling in some cases by increasing the boiling point of the water, (read instructions).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 29 July 2016 23:38:13 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 29/07/2016 19:18, tabbypurr wrote:

[...]

Lob a can of sentinel boiler noise reducer in there... probably about
the only amount of effort worth wasting on it.

That won't stop it deteriorating. I suppose the only way to really find out the cause is to dismantle each item to see what's in good shape & what isn't. I hate plumbing.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 30 July 2016 00:48:17 UTC+1, Davey wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 11:18:32 -0700 (PDT)
tabbypurr wrote:

[...]

When our system started to make the dreaded noise, we got a local
plumber with a good reputation to clean the system with a pumped
chemical cleaner. It's now wonderfully silent, and has inhibitor in it.

Money well spent, in our opinion.

I'm told it's been quiet today. So I'll get a magnaclean type filter on it, and empty it when I'm up there.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2016 00:27, wrote:
[...]

If its being replaced anyway, how much do you care?

The causes are typically heavy scaling or other contamination of the HE
inner surfaces, or something that is producing inadequate flow
(obstruction or failing pump). You could replace the pump, check the
valves, and then flush the system, and finally give it a full de-scale.
Although I suspect that if I were going to that much trouble I would
replace the boiler and any knackered looking rads at the same time.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 30 July 2016 11:34:32 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 30/07/2016 00:27, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

Replacement is due in a year. I really don't want to do it now if it's avoidable, so much else to do. New pump & magnaclean are due for when the new boiler goes in anyway, so I can try and fit those in as soon as poss. Maybe if I don't post here for a month I'll have saved the time to do it! Did I mention I hate plumbing?

Would cleaning chemicals dissolve the waterglass? If so, it's gonna leak badly. If not, it might stay part blocked.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wrote in message:
[...]

Having spent quite a bit of time on the old boiler in my current
place some 6 years ago, I discovered that the Fernox inhibitor
MB1 made a good job of quietening the kettling without
additional products.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , TheChief
wrote:
Wrote in message:
[...]

I've been usinga Screwfix product. Is that a mistake?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2016 21:22, charles wrote:
I've been usinga Screwfix product. Is that a mistake?

I too used a Screwfix product and it worked fine. When I had to
partially drain the system to replace pump, then the three-way valve
some months later, the fluid was almost water-clear. A huge contrast to
when I first cleaned the system out and put inhibitor into the system -
many years ago.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 28 October 2016 10:18:42 UTC+1, Dragon Ball wrote:

You ask what do not consult a professional company's customer service? They can help you solve the problem online.

They could. Slowly, stupidly, expensively. Here we diy.

NT

Boiler kettling Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 7 April 18th 13 10:38 AM
Help with kettling boiler Giles UK diy 3 December 10th 06 08:29 PM
Kettling boiler query tom patton UK diy 3 July 15th 05 08:52 PM
Boiler kettling Mogweed UK diy 0 January 24th 05 01:45 PM
Boiler kettling? David Hearn UK diy 5 January 1st 04 07:47 PM