Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wiring and plumbing comfort...

I needed to change LV lighting "transformer" earlier. After having
spent 15 rather uncomfortable minutes laying down, propped up on an
elbow in a cramped eves cupboard with low headroom trying not to brush
up against the loft insulation, it struck me there really ought to be
some kind of adaptable pillow or pad designed for people working in
"difficult" places.

I quite often find when working in difficult places that you really need
some way to prop yourself up (or support your head) so you can have both
hands free to work on the task at hand.

Anyone found any good solutions for this?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/07/2016 15:42, John Rumm wrote:
I needed to change LV lighting "transformer" earlier. After having
spent 15 rather uncomfortable minutes laying down, propped up on an
elbow in a cramped eves cupboard with low headroom trying not to brush
up against the loft insulation, it struck me there really ought to be
some kind of adaptable pillow or pad designed for people working in
"difficult" places.

I quite often find when working in difficult places that you really need
some way to prop yourself up (or support your head) so you can have both
hands free to work on the task at hand.

Anyone found any good solutions for this?

I've used cushions, books, lumps of wood with a jumper on top, anything
which comes to hand really.

Something inflatable would seem appropriate for regular use though if
storage space is an issue (carrying in a van for example).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/07/2016 16:06, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 15:53:36 +0100, Clive George
wrote:

[...]

A Lilo? (The inflatable bed, not the Linux boot loader, nor the Disney
character!)

Something duffel bag sized, with a nice robust exterior, but inflatable
liner perhaps...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/07/16 15:42, John Rumm wrote:
I needed to change LV lighting "transformer" earlier. After having
spent 15 rather uncomfortable minutes laying down, propped up on an
elbow in a cramped eves cupboard with low headroom trying not to brush
up against the loft insulation, it struck me there really ought to be
some kind of adaptable pillow or pad designed for people working in
"difficult" places.

I quite often find when working in difficult places that you really need
some way to prop yourself up (or support your head) so you can have both
hands free to work on the task at hand.

Anyone found any good solutions for this?

How about a bean bag or large beach ball (to take your inflatable idea)?

I would think a pillow sized bean bag would be the quickest to adjust.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 27/07/2016 15:42, John Rumm wrote:
After having
spent 15 rather uncomfortable minutes laying down, propped up on an
elbow in a cramped eves cupboard with low headroom trying not to brush
up against the loft insulation, it struck me there really ought to be
some kind of adaptable pillow or pad designed for people working in
"difficult" places.

I quite often find when working in difficult places that you really need
some way to prop yourself up (or support your head) so you can have both
hands free to work on the task at hand.

Anyone found any good solutions for this?

I've used cushions, books, lumps of wood with a jumper on top, anything
which comes to hand really.

Something inflatable would seem appropriate for regular use though if
storage space is an issue (carrying in a van for example).

I used two inflatable camping mattress laid end to end as a bridge
across joists and loft insulation between loft hatch and that bit
where the roof structure joists and wall all meet (Pitching point?).
Access was awkward but I wanted both hands free while lying on my
stomach to deal with small hole that had been started by a bird
building a nest and then enlarged by a rat to gain access.
Filling the hole with wire wool and then expanded foam was easier with
two hands and movement and it was reasonably easy to slide back and
forth on the mattresses. Crawl boards would probably have been the
real solution but I did not have any and the mattresses were being
stored in the loft and so to hand anyway.

For a head only support something from the medical world like is seen
used to support injured heads on stretchers could be a starting point.

Taken at random with no recommendation this would be cheap enough to
experiment with.
https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/o...FQ6eGwodtjIBEw

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/07/2016 15:42, John Rumm wrote:
I needed to change LV lighting "transformer" earlier. After having
spent 15 rather uncomfortable minutes laying down, propped up on an
elbow in a cramped eves cupboard with low headroom trying not to brush
up against the loft insulation, it struck me there really ought to be
some kind of adaptable pillow or pad designed for people working in
"difficult" places.

I quite often find when working in difficult places that you really need
some way to prop yourself up (or support your head) so you can have both
hands free to work on the task at hand.

Anyone found any good solutions for this?

Man up Rumm!

:-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
I needed to change LV lighting "transformer" earlier. After having
spent 15 rather uncomfortable minutes laying down, propped up on an
elbow in a cramped eves cupboard with low headroom trying not to brush
up against the loft insulation, it struck me there really ought to be
some kind of adaptable pillow or pad designed for people working in
"difficult" places.

I quite often find when working in difficult places that you really
need some way to prop yourself up (or support your head) so you can
have both hands free to work on the task at hand.

Anyone found any good solutions for this?

A piece of long pile carpet glued to 2 layers of hardboard.
Made one years ago, as the load is distributed, it doesn't bend too much
or weigh too much. 6mm ply would have been better,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes

I quite often find when working in difficult places that you really
need some way to prop yourself up (or support your head) so you can
have both hands free to work on the task at hand.

Anyone found any good solutions for this?

No! I am displaying an 0 gauge set as part of village life soon, and
have been adding wiring this week. Boards are deliberately low, for
easy viewing by kids, and trying to stretch out underneath, to use two
hands and move my head around to see what I'm doing is not easy. This
is an around the walls display, and crawling in and out of the middle is
not as easy as it once was, either :-)

Table top is 29 inches, and the years are advancing.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The problem with inflatables is wobble. They are a bit like laying on a
jelly as the air moves about tipping you off the side. The make do and mend
is what i tend to do as mentioned. Of course in lofts of unknown design
covered in ancient lagging the main issue is not to go through the ceiling
where they have not put boards down.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Clive George" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 7/27/2016 10:39 PM, News wrote:

Table top is 29 inches, and the years are advancing.

Is there anyone on this NG under 60?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 08:45:43 +0100, GB wrote:

On 7/27/2016 10:39 PM, News wrote:

Table top is 29 inches, and the years are advancing.

Is there anyone on this NG under 60?

Daniele Procida, Darren Chapman, Tim Watts...Um. Pretty sure of those
though!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote
News wrote

Table top is 29 inches, and the years are advancing.

Is there anyone on this NG under 60?

Yep, Adam is nowhere near that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

this was on sale a few weeks ago
would work for the model railway
but i thought one more bit of tat, didnt buy it

Car Creeper
£ 24.99
Repair and inspect your car more easily with this Car Creeper.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/car-creeper/p/070887037326900
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2016 10:01, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 08:45:43 +0100, GB wrote:

On 7/27/2016 10:39 PM, News wrote:

Table top is 29 inches, and the years are advancing.

Is there anyone on this NG under 60?

Daniele Procida, Darren Chapman, Tim Watts...Um. Pretty sure of those
though!

fx: waves

(49 next month...)

I have never like working on low stuff or on my knees (the floor is a
long way down, and I have yards of excess limbs to fold up once I am
down there!). Middle age and creeping signs of arthritis is not making
it any more fun.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 July 2016 08:45:46 UTC+1, GB wrote:
Is there anyone on this NG under 60?

No, they're all over on farcebook

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DICEGEORGE wrote:

Car Creeper

Don't work so well in lofts though ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/28/2016 5:01 AM, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 08:45:43 +0100, GB wrote:

On 7/27/2016 10:39 PM, News wrote:

Table top is 29 inches, and the years are advancing.

Is there anyone on this NG under 60?

Daniele Procida, Darren Chapman, Tim Watts...Um. Pretty sure of those
though!

Gremlin, who sometimes posts here, is 20ish, I believe.
And Adam is under 50, isn't he?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
On 7/27/2016 10:39 PM, News wrote:

Table top is 29 inches, and the years are advancing.

Is there anyone on this NG under 60?

Of course. 59... ;-)

Tim

--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/07/2016 18:05, Andy Burns wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

I quite often find when working in difficult places that you really need
some way to prop yourself up (or support your head) so you can have both
hands free to work on the task at hand.

Anyone found any good solutions for this?

70's bean-bag?

+1
filled with polystyrene balls to make it light.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
I needed to change LV lighting "transformer" earlier. After having
spent 15 rather uncomfortable minutes laying down, propped up on an
elbow in a cramped eves cupboard with low headroom trying not to brush
up against the loft insulation, it struck me there really ought to be
some kind of adaptable pillow or pad designed for people working in
"difficult" places.

I quite often find when working in difficult places that you really need
some way to prop yourself up (or support your head) so you can have both
hands free to work on the task at hand.

Anyone found any good solutions for this?

Yes. A Tardis. ;-)

--
*I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"David Lang" wrote in message
On 27/07/2016 15:42, John Rumm wrote:
I needed to change LV lighting "transformer" earlier. After having
spent 15 rather uncomfortable minutes laying down, propped up on an
elbow in a cramped eves cupboard with low headroom trying not to brush
up against the loft insulation, it struck me there really ought to be
some kind of adaptable pillow or pad designed for people working in
"difficult" places.

I quite often find when working in difficult places that you really need
some way to prop yourself up (or support your head) so you can have both
hands free to work on the task at hand.

Anyone found any good solutions for this?

Man up Rumm!

:-)

Well it's not supposed to be fun is it?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
On 7/28/2016 5:01 AM, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 08:45:43 +0100, GB wrote:

On 7/27/2016 10:39 PM, News wrote:

Table top is 29 inches, and the years are advancing.

Is there anyone on this NG under 60?

Daniele Procida, Darren Chapman, Tim Watts...Um. Pretty sure of those
though!

Gremlin, who sometimes posts here, is 20ish, I believe.

And Adam is under 50, isn't he?

Only for the next 4 years, or 14 years if you meant to say 60...

--
Adam