DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What is going on at Dover and chunnel? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/399434-what-going-dover-chunnel.html)

Brian Gaff July 23rd 16 10:45 PM

What is going on at Dover and chunnel?

I understand that many commercial vehicles are waiting 15 hours to get
across the channel. Did some joker suggest there is a bomb on one to blow up
a ship or destroy the tunnel or what?
it said the police are handing out free bottled water to anyone stranded.
Good use of police person power that is.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Andy Burns[_13_] July 23rd 16 10:49 PM

Brian Gaff wrote:

I understand that many commercial vehicles are waiting 15 hours to get
across the channel.

Following the Nice attacks (hope your speech software pronounces that
properly) France is back on state of emergency, so enhanced border
checks combined with the start of the school holidays in many parts of
the country.

Rod Speed July 23rd 16 11:13 PM

What is going on at Dover and chunnel?

Brian Gaff wrote

I understand that many commercial vehicles are waiting 15 hours to get
across the channel. Did some joker suggest there is a bomb on one to blow
up a ship or destroy the tunnel or what?

Nar, the turnip proclaimed that the EU would be sending in the
tanks to stop Britain leaving the EU, just like Russia did with
Hungary and so they are checking all the artics to see if they
have tanks inside them.

it said the police are handing out free bottled water to anyone stranded.

Those are laced with truth serum so that they can
just ask the driver if there is a tank in the back and
he will fess up without them having to fart around
searching the artic.

Good use of police person power that is.

Yep, and more effective than trying to stop
the tanks once they are offloaded in Britain.

Steve Walker[_5_] July 24th 16 12:30 AM

On 23/07/2016 22:49, Andy Burns wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

I understand that many commercial vehicles are waiting 15 hours to get
across the channel.

Following the Nice attacks (hope your speech software pronounces that
properly) France is back on state of emergency, so enhanced border
checks combined with the start of the school holidays in many parts of
the country.

Little risk from white, aethiest or Christian families going on holiday,
but profiling is a dirty word.

Andrew Gabriel July 24th 16 12:37 AM

What is going on at Dover and chunnel?

In article ,
Andy Burns writes:
Brian Gaff wrote:

I understand that many commercial vehicles are waiting 15 hours to get
across the channel.

Following the Nice attacks (hope your speech software pronounces that
properly) France is back on state of emergency, so enhanced border
checks combined with the start of the school holidays in many parts of
the country.

....and it just said on the radio, only one French border control booth is
currently manned due to staff shortages.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Cursitor Doom[_4_] July 24th 16 12:42 AM

On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 22:49:37 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:

I understand that many commercial vehicles are waiting 15 hours to get
across the channel.

Following the Nice attacks (hope your speech software pronounces that
properly) France is back on state of emergency, so enhanced border
checks combined with the start of the school holidays in many parts of
the country.

Yes, plus the French government didn't appreciate the way their interior
minister was booed during his visit to Nice a few days ago. They got the
clear message they need to do more. That's what they're doing now.

Andy Burns[_13_] July 24th 16 11:05 AM

Steve Walker wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

enhanced border checks combined with the start of the school
holidays in many parts of the country.

Little risk from white, aethiest or Christian families going on holiday,
but profiling is a dirty word.

And it wouldn't be like a french workforce to work-to-rule, especially
if it's les rosbifs that suffer, eh?

tim... July 24th 16 11:30 AM

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:

I understand that many commercial vehicles are waiting 15 hours to get
across the channel.

Following the Nice attacks (hope your speech software pronounces that
properly) France is back on state of emergency, so enhanced border checks

so we check all the Brits to the nth degree whilst Spanish, Italian and
Belgian terrorists can just walk across the border

tim

charles July 24th 16 11:31 AM

Andy Burns wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

enhanced border checks combined with the start of the school
holidays in many parts of the country.

Little risk from white, aethiest or Christian families going on holiday,
but profiling is a dirty word.

And it wouldn't be like a french workforce to work-to-rule, especially
if it's les rosbifs that suffer, eh?

are you sure about that?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

tim... July 24th 16 11:32 AM

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I understand that many commercial vehicles are waiting 15 hours to get
across the channel. Did some joker suggest there is a bomb on one to blow
up a ship or destroy the tunnel or what?
it said the police are handing out free bottled water to anyone stranded.
Good use of police person power that is.

Not long ago I did that drive on a daily basis

I knew all of the back routes to take when the queue for the port was a
little bit congested.

But the current situation is just nuts, it would be no work for me tomorrow,
if I still went there. I wonder how many of them actually manage to get in

tim

Andy Burns[_13_] July 24th 16 11:34 AM

charles wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

And it wouldn't be like a french workforce to work-to-rule, especially
if it's les rosbifs that suffer, eh?

are you sure about that?

No, but there was talk about checkpoints being undermanned, it could be
that nobody wanted the overtime, but it's not août yet ...

[email protected] July 24th 16 11:40 AM

On Saturday, 23 July 2016 22:45:36 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
it said the police are handing out free bottled water to anyone stranded.
Good use of police person power that is.

It probably is actually, given they have to be there anyway to maintain public order, and it would cost a lot more and cause more disruption if someone is taken ill and has to have an ambulance, or abandons their vehicle and causes a further obstruction.

Owain

Dennis@home July 24th 16 11:45 AM

What is going on at Dover and chunnel?

On 24/07/2016 00:37, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Andy Burns writes:
Brian Gaff wrote:

I understand that many commercial vehicles are waiting 15 hours to get
across the channel.

Following the Nice attacks (hope your speech software pronounces that
properly) France is back on state of emergency, so enhanced border
checks combined with the start of the school holidays in many parts of
the country.

...and it just said on the radio, only one French border control booth is
currently manned due to staff shortages.

Its odd how the French can be short of manpower when they want to be.

I remember the VCR import job the French had.. all VCRs imported into
France had to be unpacked, inspected and repacked by one man.

Weatherlawyer July 24th 16 11:53 AM

What is going on at Dover and chunnel?

On Saturday, 23 July 2016 22:45:36 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:

I understand that many commercial vehicles are waiting 15 hours to get
across the channel. Did some joker suggest there is a bomb on one to blow up
a ship or destroy the tunnel or what?
it said the police are handing out free bottled water to anyone stranded..
Good use of police person power that is.

What is to stop the lorries getting on a ship for another port even to another country apart from the fact that wen the wheels are turning the diesel is burning?

I imagine the economy of the port could rapidly become refugee-based as the local transportation system fails and the refugee system trickles down as they start walking to the port of new business.

This is the economy of democracy as an example take the TSR-2. Every few years the headship oversight of the RAF changes. the new brooms always came up with unreasonable ideas as the new age of the jet developed.

They wanted faster and faster interceptors eventually ordering a fighter that could go fast enough to wear its skin off. A titanium skin was expensive but increasing, the fuel capacity was nowhere near such a low cost VFM to solve.

The costs involved by the time the new government stepped in could have got Britain into moon launches ahead of the Russians. Eventually we ended up with a fast plane that didn't do what it was developed for and now way off the roundabout.

"The TSR-2 was the victim of ever-rising costs and inter-service squabbling over Britain's future defence needs, which led to the controversial decision to scrap the programme in 1965. With the election of a new government, the TSR-2 was cancelled due to rising costs, in favour of purchasing an adapted version of the General Dynamics F-111, a decision that itself was later rescinded as costs and development times increased."

It was the Plague of Thebes where the only way to stop robbing Peter to pay Paul was for Paul and Peter to kill one another. Leaving Europe to stall the cash crisis of the Euro, only opened the way for Scotland and Ireland to vote to leave Britain. None of which options changes the original economic problem.

The basic problem is that **** is out of control.

charles July 24th 16 11:54 AM

What is going on at Dover and chunnel?

Andy Burns writes:
Brian Gaff wrote:

I understand that many commercial vehicles are waiting 15 hours to get
across the channel.

Following the Nice attacks (hope your speech software pronounces that
properly) France is back on state of emergency, so enhanced border
checks combined with the start of the school holidays in many parts of
the country.

...and it just said on the radio, only one French border control booth
is currently manned due to staff shortages.

Its odd how the French can be short of manpower when they want to be.

I remember the VCR import job the French had.. all VCRs imported into
France had to be unpacked, inspected and repacked by one man.

I thoght there were two of them ;-)

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Dennis@home July 24th 16 11:54 AM

On 24/07/2016 11:30, tim... wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:

I understand that many commercial vehicles are waiting 15 hours to get
across the channel.

Following the Nice attacks (hope your speech software pronounces that
properly) France is back on state of emergency, so enhanced border checks

so we check all the Brits to the nth degree whilst Spanish, Italian and
Belgian terrorists can just walk across the border

tim

Once we leave it will be routine so get used to it.

Capitol July 24th 16 12:17 PM

Andy Burns writes:
Brian Gaff wrote:

I understand that many commercial vehicles are waiting 15 hours to get
across the channel.

Following the Nice attacks (hope your speech software pronounces that
properly) France is back on state of emergency, so enhanced border
checks combined with the start of the school holidays in many parts of
the country.

...and it just said on the radio, only one French border control
booth is
currently manned due to staff shortages.

Its odd how the French can be short of manpower when they want to be.

I remember the VCR import job the French had.. all VCRs imported into
France had to be unpacked, inspected and repacked by one man.

And the VCR approval process, which stalled until you built a
factory in France!

Nightjar July 24th 16 12:17 PM

On 24-Jul-16 11:30 AM, tim... wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:

I understand that many commercial vehicles are waiting 15 hours to get
across the channel.

Following the Nice attacks (hope your speech software pronounces that
properly) France is back on state of emergency, so enhanced border checks

so we check all the Brits to the nth degree whilst Spanish, Italian and
Belgian terrorists can just walk across the border

France reintroduced border controls across the country on 13th November
the Tour de France. Under the original notification, they are due to end
on 26th July 2016, but that may be extended.

Colin Bignell

Capitol July 24th 16 12:19 PM

dennis@home wrote:
On 24/07/2016 11:30, tim... wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:

I understand that many commercial vehicles are waiting 15 hours to get
across the channel.

Following the Nice attacks (hope your speech software pronounces that
properly) France is back on state of emergency, so enhanced border
checks

so we check all the Brits to the nth degree whilst Spanish, Italian and
Belgian terrorists can just walk across the border

tim

Once we leave it will be routine so get used to it.

No problem. All French lorries with perishable goods will be
stalled at Dover. See how long that takes for French farmers to solve
the problem!

tim... July 24th 16 12:48 PM

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 24-Jul-16 11:30 AM, tim... wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:

I understand that many commercial vehicles are waiting 15 hours to get
across the channel.

Following the Nice attacks (hope your speech software pronounces that
properly) France is back on state of emergency, so enhanced border
checks

so we check all the Brits to the nth degree whilst Spanish, Italian and
Belgian terrorists can just walk across the border

France reintroduced border controls across the country on 13th November
the Tour de France. Under the original notification, they are due to end
on 26th July 2016, but that may be extended.

so they are stopping people at customs posts at the border are they?

including all the new built roads where there are no facilities for doing so

tim

ARW July 24th 16 01:03 PM

What is going on at Dover and chunnel?

"dennis@home" wrote in message
web.com...

Once we leave it will be routine so get used to it.

It will only be routine if you want to go to France;-)

So there is no inconvenience for me.

--
Adam

ARW July 24th 16 01:12 PM

What is going on at Dover and chunnel?

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
we leave it will be routine so get used to it.

No problem. All French lorries with perishable goods will be stalled
at Dover. See how long that takes for French farmers to solve the problem!

They will do what they always do.

They will set fire to some sheep in the morning and then in the afternoon
they will use their EU subsidy money to get ****ed up with a couple of
bottle of wine, eat all sorts of garlic flavoured ****e before calling in at
a brothel on the way home from "work".

--
Adam

Phil L July 24th 16 04:17 PM

dennis@home wrote:

Its odd how the French can be short of manpower when they want to be.

I remember the VCR import job the French had.. all VCRs imported into
France had to be unpacked, inspected and repacked by one man.

That'll do wonders for their tourism industry.

not to mention their imports...it's hardly hurting us by making more people
holiday in this country rather than France

Phil L July 24th 16 04:20 PM

Nightjar wrote:
France reintroduced border controls across the country on 13th
November 2015 in response to the Paris attacks, as a precaution for
Euro 2016 and the Tour de France. Under the original notification,
they are due to end on 26th July 2016, but that may be extended.

I've been to France lots of times in the past 10 years, I've never noticed
any difference in border controls / customs checks and this includes three
trips since Nov 2015

Phil L July 24th 16 04:21 PM

Brian Gaff wrote:
I understand that many commercial vehicles are waiting 15 hours to get
across the channel. Did some joker suggest there is a bomb on one to
blow up a ship or destroy the tunnel or what?
it said the police are handing out free bottled water to anyone
stranded. Good use of police person power that is.
Brian

It'll be brexit's fault.

I've got a caterpillar infestation of my fuschias, that's brexit's fault
too, and a hole has appeared in a road near me* which has resulted in
temporary lights, yep, brexit again.

*Council workmen are looking into it.

ARW July 24th 16 04:24 PM

"Phil L" wrote in message

it's hardly hurting us by making more people holiday in this country
rather than France

What if someone ends up trying a holiday in Blackpool?

--
Adam

charles July 24th 16 04:31 PM

ARW wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message

it's hardly hurting us by making more people holiday in this country
rather than France

What if someone ends up trying a holiday in Blackpool?

last weekend's Sunday Times showed "the 12 best British Beaches". Only two
of my favouites were in the list - one involves a ferry crossing and the
other was shown in the wrong place on their map. So, my favouites are safe
;-)

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Phil L July 24th 16 04:42 PM

ARW wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message

it's hardly hurting us by making more people holiday in this country
rather than France

What if someone ends up trying a holiday in Blackpool?

They'l get cold and damp.

what do the donkeys on Blackpool beach get for their dinner?

:

:

:

half an hour like everyone else.

Richard[_10_] July 24th 16 04:43 PM

On 24/07/2016 11:30, tim... wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:

I understand that many commercial vehicles are waiting 15 hours to get
across the channel.

Following the Nice attacks (hope your speech software pronounces that
properly) France is back on state of emergency, so enhanced border
checks

so we check all the Brits to the nth degree whilst Spanish, Italian and
Belgian terrorists can just walk across the border

tim

Once we leave it will be routine so get used to it.

Why would one want to go to France anyway? Nip over to any north African
country and get a similar cultural experience.

Bod[_3_] July 24th 16 05:24 PM

On 24/07/2016 16:24, ARW wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message

it's hardly hurting us by making more people holiday in this country
rather than France

What if someone ends up trying a holiday in Blackpool?

They would have my symapathy.

Nightjar July 24th 16 05:56 PM

On 24-Jul-16 12:48 PM, tim... wrote:

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 24-Jul-16 11:30 AM, tim... wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:

I understand that many commercial vehicles are waiting 15 hours to get
across the channel.

Following the Nice attacks (hope your speech software pronounces that
properly) France is back on state of emergency, so enhanced border
checks

so we check all the Brits to the nth degree whilst Spanish, Italian and
Belgian terrorists can just walk across the border

France reintroduced border controls across the country on 13th
November 2015 in response to the Paris attacks, as a precaution for
Euro 2016 and the Tour de France. Under the original notification,
they are due to end on 26th July 2016, but that may be extended.

so they are stopping people at customs posts at the border are they?

They have certainly issued the necessary notice under Articles 25 and 26:

http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs...control_en.pdf

including all the new built roads where there are no facilities for
doing so

We have no permanent facilities to carry out census stops, but that
doesn't stop them putting out road signs and road cones to create one.

Colin Bignell

Nightjar July 24th 16 06:40 PM

On 24-Jul-16 4:20 PM, Phil L wrote:
Nightjar wrote:
France reintroduced border controls across the country on 13th
November 2015 in response to the Paris attacks, as a precaution for
Euro 2016 and the Tour de France. Under the original notification,
they are due to end on 26th July 2016, but that may be extended.

I've been to France lots of times in the past 10 years, I've never noticed
any difference in border controls / customs checks and this includes three
trips since Nov 2015

According to this report, the French have controls at 220 crossing
points and, by the time of the report in March, around 10,000 people had
been turned back.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/border-c...gan-1458843262

Colin Bignell

tim... July 24th 16 06:59 PM

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 24-Jul-16 12:48 PM, tim... wrote:

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 24-Jul-16 11:30 AM, tim... wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:

[...]

but not on 3 lane motorways

tim

tim... July 24th 16 07:05 PM

"Phil L" wrote in message
Nightjar wrote:
France reintroduced border controls across the country on 13th
November 2015 in response to the Paris attacks, as a precaution for
Euro 2016 and the Tour de France. Under the original notification,
they are due to end on 26th July 2016, but that may be extended.

I've been to France lots of times in the past 10 years, I've never noticed
any difference in border controls / customs checks and this includes three
trips since Nov 2015

The first time that I went on the Chunnel they still had border controls on
the road into Belgium.

This was before the motorway connection was completed and you had to go
along a country road and stop at the booth for the check.

Some months later (can't remember how many, could be anything up to 2 years)
they completed the motorway and it was built with no provision for border
checks.

But as you continue through Belgium into Holland and Germany you can see
where the border controls used to be. They have wide parking areas for the
lorries to go through and wait whilst they are checked and an office on the
side of the road where staff are housed. Reopening these controls would be
easy

alan_m July 24th 16 08:35 PM

On 24/07/2016 16:42, Phil L wrote:

what do the donkeys on Blackpool beach get for their dinner?

Haven't they been banned by the EU clean water directive*? You cannot
have donkeys ****ting on the beach and polluting the 'swimming' water.

* An excuse used by my local council for banning dogs from the beach and
low water mud for 6 months of the year.

Chris Green July 24th 16 09:31 PM

Richard wrote:
Once we leave it will be routine so get used to it.

Why would one want to go to France anyway? Nip over to any north African
country and get a similar cultural experience.

It is a *little* farther.

--
Chris Green
·

Rod Speed July 25th 16 12:46 AM

What is going on at Dover and chunnel?

ARW wrote
Phil L wrote

it's hardly hurting us by making more people
holiday in this country rather than France

What if someone ends up trying a holiday in Blackpool?

They get frog marched off to the loony bin.

Nightjar July 25th 16 09:45 AM

Nightjar wrote:
France reintroduced border controls across the country on 13th
November 2015 in response to the Paris attacks, as a precaution for
Euro 2016 and the Tour de France. Under the original notification,
they are due to end on 26th July 2016, but that may be extended.

I've been to France lots of times in the past 10 years, I've never
noticed
any difference in border controls / customs checks and this includes
three
trips since Nov 2015

According to this report, the French have controls at 220 crossing
points and, by the time of the report in March, around 10,000 people
had been turned back.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/border-c...gan-1458843262

--

behind a paywall

It wasn't yesterday, when I posted the link. However, I have summarised
the relevant bit.

Colin Bignell