Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Damp-proofing kitchenfloor

1928 house. I think there is no membrane under the kitchen floor
(concrete?) which has tiles (in good condition) on top of the original
quarry tiles. It is above ground level but small amounts of moisture
seep up during very wet weather.

I want to put down either laminate or ceramic floor tiles on top of the
existing two layers of tiles. I can't face digging the whole lot up and
putting down a membrane; would a liquid DPM work e.g.

http://www.wykamol.com/technoseal-damp-proof-paint

Any advice welcome.

Another Dave
--
Change nospam to gmx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another Dave wrote:

I want to put down either laminate or ceramic floor tiles on top of the
existing two layers of tiles. I can't face digging the whole lot up and
putting down a membrane; would a liquid DPM work e.g.

http://www.wykamol.com/technoseal-damp-proof-paint

I've used Wickes liquid DPM (which is a paint-on rubber/bitumen) under a
couple of inches of Wickes deep base floor levelling, with good results.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/16 15:34, Another Dave wrote:
1928 house. I think there is no membrane under the kitchen floor
(concrete?) which has tiles (in good condition) on top of the original
quarry tiles. It is above ground level but small amounts of moisture
seep up during very wet weather.

I want to put down either laminate or ceramic floor tiles on top of the
existing two layers of tiles. I can't face digging the whole lot up and
putting down a membrane; would a liquid DPM work e.g.

http://www.wykamol.com/technoseal-damp-proof-paint

Any advice welcome.

Another Dave

I have used an F Ball epoxy DPM on my kitchen (same problem as you). F75
IIRC - you should find it on their website.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 15 July 2016 15:34:14 UTC+1, Another Dave wrote:
1928 house. I think there is no membrane under the kitchen floor
(concrete?) which has tiles (in good condition) on top of the original
quarry tiles. It is above ground level but small amounts of moisture
seep up during very wet weather.

I want to put down either laminate or ceramic floor tiles on top of the
existing two layers of tiles. I can't face digging the whole lot up and
putting down a membrane; would a liquid DPM work e.g.

http://www.wykamol.com/technoseal-damp-proof-paint

Any advice welcome.

Another Dave

If your tiles are glazed you'd only need to dampproof the joins. I don't think I'd put bitumen or any other bulky paint on under new tiles, better to use something that soaks in.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Another Dave Wrote in message:
1928 house. I think there is no membrane under the kitchen floor
(concrete?) which has tiles (in good condition) on top of the original
quarry tiles. It is above ground level but small amounts of moisture
seep up during very wet weather.

I want to put down either laminate or ceramic floor tiles on top of the
existing two layers of tiles. I can't face digging the whole lot up and
putting down a membrane; would a liquid DPM work e.g.

http://www.wykamol.com/technoseal-damp-proof-paint

Any advice welcome.

Another Dave

Could you face swinging a big hammer and smashing a few tiles then
hitting a bolster chisel at an angle to pop off the remaining
tiles? Then hit the quarry tiles with the liquid
dpm?

Also what happens under the kitchen units? If you build up/rip up
and damp proof the centre of the floor only, won't the
dampconcentrate in the under unit areas?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/16 18:54, jim wrote:

Also what happens under the kitchen units? If you build up/rip up
and damp proof the centre of the floor only, won't the
damp
concentrate in the under unit areas?

I was proposing to do this only as a general kitchen refit i.e. from
wall to wall and possibly a little way up the walls.

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to gmx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/16 18:54, jim wrote:

Also what happens under the kitchen units? If you build up/rip up
and damp proof the centre of the floor only, won't the
damp
concentrate in the under unit areas?

I was proposing to do this only as a general kitchen refit i.e. from
wall to wall and possibly a little way up the walls.

Another Dave

Good show :-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 15 July 2016 18:54:35 UTC+1, jim wrote:
Another Dave Wrote in message:
1928 house. I think there is no membrane under the kitchen floor
(concrete?) which has tiles (in good condition) on top of the original
quarry tiles. It is above ground level but small amounts of moisture
seep up during very wet weather.

I want to put down either laminate or ceramic floor tiles on top of the
existing two layers of tiles. I can't face digging the whole lot up and
putting down a membrane; would a liquid DPM work e.g.

http://www.wykamol.com/technoseal-damp-proof-paint

Any advice welcome.

Another Dave

Could you face swinging a big hammer and smashing a few tiles then
hitting a bolster chisel at an angle to pop off the remaining
tiles? Then hit the quarry tiles with the liquid
dpm?

good idea, make a load of extra work. Honestly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Wrote in message:
[...]

Ooh hello nige, how's the ceiling?

You'll be along with a "tried & tested" trip hazard mitigation
"solution" to deal with increased floor height soon I
guess...
:-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

OT Damp Proofing Broadback[_3_] UK diy 8 September 24th 12 10:26 AM
Damp Proofing Membrane DerbyBoy UK diy 11 October 6th 11 08:28 PM
HELP - DIY Damp Course Proofing Rick[_6_] UK diy 1 March 5th 08 11:27 PM
Damp proofing mo UK diy 12 February 19th 08 10:48 PM
New gas meter box damp proofing Terry Thorne UK diy 0 November 29th 03 03:04 PM