Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Smart homes

Wow - Radio 4 "You and Yours" today on smart homes...

When choosing a smart home product, you will almost certainly want
internet connectivity, but you must choose a product which will
still work without internet connectivity, when you mobile dies, etc.

Stunningly good advice that I've given myself many times, and quite
impressed Radio 4 found someone with such a clue.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2016 12:48, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Wow - Radio 4 "You and Yours" today on smart homes...

When choosing a smart home product, you will almost certainly want
internet connectivity, but you must choose a product which will
still work without internet connectivity, when you mobile dies, etc.

Stunningly good advice that I've given myself many times, and quite
impressed Radio 4 found someone with such a clue.

I keep hearing that smart thermostats have a positive impact on house
prices, but given that they don't cost very much, I am surprised that
they make a noticeable difference.

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, July 8, 2016 at 11:04:23 PM UTC+1, Michael Chare wrote:
On 08/07/2016 12:48, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Wow - Radio 4 "You and Yours" today on smart homes...

When choosing a smart home product, you will almost certainly want
internet connectivity, but you must choose a product which will
still work without internet connectivity, when you mobile dies, etc.

Stunningly good advice that I've given myself many times, and quite
impressed Radio 4 found someone with such a clue.

I keep hearing that smart thermostats have a positive impact on house
prices, but given that they don't cost very much, I am surprised that
they make a noticeable difference.

Well depends on what sort of differnce prompts you to notice...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/14/fa...re-freeze.html

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Michael Chare writes:
On 08/07/2016 12:48, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Wow - Radio 4 "You and Yours" today on smart homes...

When choosing a smart home product, you will almost certainly want
internet connectivity, but you must choose a product which will
still work without internet connectivity, when you mobile dies, etc.

Stunningly good advice that I've given myself many times, and quite
impressed Radio 4 found someone with such a clue.

I keep hearing that smart thermostats have a positive impact on house
prices, but given that they don't cost very much, I am surprised that
they make a noticeable difference.

Home automation used to reduce the value of a house - scares too many
people off. Consequently, I made mine easy to rip out when I installed
it 16 years ago. This is probably less so now it's becoming a bit more
known, but I suspect most of the consumer product DIY solutions will
not increase the value. A full prefessional quality system built-in to
a high-end house might increase value.

This was mentioned too on the Radio 4 program, again in the context of
not choosing a system which is dependant on the internet (and I would
say not dependant on any external provider - Google has already pulled
the plug on one product when it decided not to continue with it).

--
Andrew Gabriel