Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Positioning of extractor fan vent & humidity sensor

This is for an offshot bathroom in a mid-terrace, with a level ceiling
over the main area but a slope down over the sink & shower/bath, to
fit a ducted fan in the ceiling going to a vent that has already been
fitted in the outside wall (above the ceiling). There's a fairly
large hatch to the side for access.

The controller includes an RH setting & can be set to run for a
specified time from the light switch.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MR1361.html

I guess the intake vent/grate should go in the flat bit, as close to
the middle of the bathroom as possible?

Where are good places to put the humidity sensor?

The outlet vent has shutters pulled down by gravity when the fan isn't
running, so is an in-line anti-back-draft device not needed?

Thanks,
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 July 2016 09:30:06 UTC+1, Adam Funk wrote:
This is for an offshot bathroom in a mid-terrace, with a level ceiling
over the main area but a slope down over the sink & shower/bath, to
fit a ducted fan in the ceiling going to a vent that has already been
fitted in the outside wall (above the ceiling). There's a fairly
large hatch to the side for access.

The controller includes an RH setting & can be set to run for a
specified time from the light switch.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MR1361.html

I guess the intake vent/grate should go in the flat bit, as close to
the middle of the bathroom as possible?

as close to the source of the problem as possible. Ideally right by the bog pan. Some people have even plumbed the extract fan to the pan, but that creates a few issues. If no toilet, near the bath/shower.

Where are good places to put the humidity sensor?

anywhere except corners, where air doesn't move as much. Ideally in the middle.

The outlet vent has shutters pulled down by gravity when the fan isn't
running, so is an in-line anti-back-draft device not needed?

right. Although those shutters are far from perfect in windy conditions. Powered shutters are much better.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2016 09:23, Adam Funk wrote:
This is for an offshot bathroom in a mid-terrace, with a level ceiling
over the main area but a slope down over the sink & shower/bath, to
fit a ducted fan in the ceiling going to a vent that has already been
fitted in the outside wall (above the ceiling). There's a fairly
large hatch to the side for access.

The controller includes an RH setting & can be set to run for a
specified time from the light switch.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MR1361.html

I guess the intake vent/grate should go in the flat bit, as close to
the middle of the bathroom as possible?

Where are good places to put the humidity sensor?

Somewhere you can easily reach it to make adjustments, since you will
need to tweak the settings from time to time as the weather changes or
if you have a particularly damp few days etc. There is no particular
need for the sensor to be in the centre etc.

The outlet vent has shutters pulled down by gravity when the fan isn't
running, so is an in-line anti-back-draft device not needed?

Its worth having just to stop the external ones clapping open an shut so
often in the breeze.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-07-08, John Rumm wrote:

[...]

Thanks.

The outlet vent has shutters pulled down by gravity when the fan isn't
running, so is an in-line anti-back-draft device not needed?

Its worth having just to stop the external ones clapping open an shut so
often in the breeze.

Do you put it between the ceiling grate & the fan or between the fan &
the outside grate?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-07-08, John Rumm wrote:

The outlet vent has shutters pulled down by gravity when the fan isn't
running, so is an in-line anti-back-draft device not needed?

Its worth having just to stop the external ones clapping open an shut so
often in the breeze.

Do you put it between the ceiling grate & the fan or between the fan &
the outside grate?

the latter.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-07-08, John Rumm wrote:

The outlet vent has shutters pulled down by gravity when the fan isn't
running, so is an in-line anti-back-draft device not needed?

Its worth having just to stop the external ones clapping open an shut so
often in the breeze.

Do you put it between the ceiling grate & the fan or between the fan &
the outside grate?

the latter.

That's what I would've guessed, but it never hurts to check.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-07-08, John Rumm wrote:

The outlet vent has shutters pulled down by gravity when the fan isn't
running, so is an in-line anti-back-draft device not needed?

Its worth having just to stop the external ones clapping open an shut so
often in the breeze.

Do you put it between the ceiling grate & the fan or between the fan &
the outside grate?

the latter.

That's what I would've guessed, but it never hurts to check.

I don't see it making much difference.

NT

Humidity Sensor Goldstar DH305 Dehumidifier Dew Wild_Bill Electronics Repair 10 July 25th 11 01:45 PM
Would a humidity sensor and fan be a good idea when putting a newbathroom in? 405 TD Estate UK diy 15 January 27th 08 09:31 AM
Adding a humidity sensor to an an old tumble dryer. Possible/desirable? Tim Downie[_2_] UK diy 0 January 23rd 08 05:14 PM
Extractor Vent Q PhilÅ UK diy 4 January 20th 05 08:46 PM
Bathroom extractor fan in vent Broadback UK diy 1 October 3rd 04 09:56 PM