Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More diy...

Something to sit on:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Garden_bench

Might do another (I made templates for all the cut outs), but it is nice
have some workshop space back!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 Jul 2016 23:52:09 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Something to sit on:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Garden_bench

Might do another (I made templates for all the cut outs), but it is nice
have some workshop space back!

That makes me feel guilty - but woodworking is not my strong point.

Our last bench collapsed while I was sitting on it (the end came away
from the seat, I and two sons followed the seat down and smashed it). It
was a cheap one from CPC and lasted two years.

I spent a fortune and got one from GWR Benches - 35mm wood (oak) and cast
iron ends. Hopefully that won't break...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2016 00:25, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 06 Jul 2016 23:52:09 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Something to sit on:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Garden_bench

Might do another (I made templates for all the cut outs), but it is nice
have some workshop space back!

That makes me feel guilty - but woodworking is not my strong point.

Our last bench collapsed while I was sitting on it (the end came away
from the seat, I and two sons followed the seat down and smashed it). It
was a cheap one from CPC and lasted two years.

I spent a fortune and got one from GWR Benches - 35mm wood (oak) and cast
iron ends. Hopefully that won't break...

Yup they do some substantial looking benches ;-) having fallen through /
destroyed a number of chairs and benches in my time, I can see the
attraction.

Mine was a bit cheaper (if you ignore the time spent making it[1]),
although western red cedar is not that cheap in smallish quantities.
There is probably about £150 quids worth in one bench.

[1] Probably about 3 whole days if one added up the time - although much
of that was simply preparing and planing up the sawn lumber. (although I
just noticed I bought the wood almost a year ago to the day - so the
getting round to it phase took a while!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/2016 23:52, John Rumm wrote:

Something to sit on:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Garden_bench

Might do another (I made templates for all the cut outs), but it is nice
have some workshop space back!

Nice job (again) but you're a bad man because you led me to "Jay's"
website - I've already lost an hour to it and more will follow ;-) In
particular, there are some good ideas about workshop layout.
I've been wondering about bricking-up (with window) one of the garage
doors and building a stud wall down the middle of the double garage to
separate woodwork and metalwork, but I like his "island" so will have to
re-think. Maybe a stud wall inside one door and keep the other for light
and ventilation. Also, get a smaller metal lathe and ditch the unused
machines (surface grinder and powered hacksaw) to make more space.
What's the next project?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/6/2016 11:52 PM, John Rumm wrote:

Something to sit on:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Garden_bench

Might do another (I made templates for all the cut outs), but it is nice
have some workshop space back!

Thank goodness my wife does not come here, or I would have to make one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/07/2016 11:10, newshound wrote:
On 7/6/2016 11:52 PM, John Rumm wrote:

Something to sit on:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Garden_bench

Might do another (I made templates for all the cut outs), but it is nice
have some workshop space back!

Thank goodness my wife does not come here, or I would have to make one.

I couldn't make one, even if ordered by my wife to do so.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 Jul 2016 11:33:38 +0100, GB wrote:

On 07/07/2016 11:10, newshound wrote:
On 7/6/2016 11:52 PM, John Rumm wrote:

Something to sit on:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Garden_bench

Might do another (I made templates for all the cut outs), but it is
nice have some workshop space back!

Thank goodness my wife does not come here, or I would have to make one.

I couldn't make one, even if ordered by my wife to do so.

Same here. That's why I've ordered one (but not from John!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/7/2016 11:37 AM, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 07 Jul 2016 11:33:38 +0100, GB wrote:

On 07/07/2016 11:10, newshound wrote:
On 7/6/2016 11:52 PM, John Rumm wrote:

Something to sit on:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Garden_bench

Might do another (I made templates for all the cut outs), but it is
nice have some workshop space back!

Thank goodness my wife does not come here, or I would have to make one.

I couldn't make one, even if ordered by my wife to do so.

Same here. That's why I've ordered one (but not from John!)

Oh I certainly would not have had the skill or patience to do such a
nice job as John!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2016 11:58, newshound wrote:
On 7/7/2016 11:37 AM, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 07 Jul 2016 11:33:38 +0100, GB wrote:

On 07/07/2016 11:10, newshound wrote:
On 7/6/2016 11:52 PM, John Rumm wrote:

Something to sit on:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Garden_bench

Might do another (I made templates for all the cut outs), but it is
nice have some workshop space back!

Thank goodness my wife does not come here, or I would have to make one.

I couldn't make one, even if ordered by my wife to do so.

Same here. That's why I've ordered one (but not from John!)

Oh I certainly would not have had the skill or patience to do such a
nice job as John!

To be fair, its actually quite a straight forward build... (which I over
complicated a little!). If you start with off the shelf prepared timber,
its just a bunch of 15 degree cuts.

No clever joinery, just glue and screws. The detail on the back could be
simplified, but even as it is would be doable with a jigsaw. Just stick
the printout on the wood and cut along the lines ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2016 10:29, wrote:
On 06/07/2016 23:52, John Rumm wrote:

Something to sit on:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Garden_bench

Might do another (I made templates for all the cut outs), but it is nice
have some workshop space back!

Nice job (again) but you're a bad man because you led me to "Jay's"
website - I've already lost an hour to it and more will follow ;-) In
particular, there are some good ideas about workshop layout.
I've been wondering about bricking-up (with window) one of the garage
doors and building a stud wall down the middle of the double garage to
separate woodwork and metalwork,

Just build yourself a "shop" like Keith's - then you can have plenty of
space for both :

https://www.youtube.com/user/ksrucke...rch?query=shop

;-)

but I like his "island" so will have to
re-think. Maybe a stud wall inside one door and keep the other for light
and ventilation. Also, get a smaller metal lathe and ditch the unused
machines (surface grinder and powered hacksaw) to make more space.

Yup, but its hard getting rid of tools unless you have already
"upgraded" them to bigger and better - but that tends to make the
problem worse!

What's the next project?

Another bench... possibly an outside table.

Finish painting the woodwork at the front of the house.

Insulate and clad the outside of the house

Install a shower in our bathroom.

More lounge furniture to go with the large bookcase (AV units, CD
storage, shelves etc).

build a wooden clock (wood mechanism, not casework!):

http://www.lisaboyer.com/Claytonsite...icitypage1.htm

Build a games room, and a garden "garage", and swmbo wants a "summer
house".

Enclosed shelter / seating area on the patio

Erm... I am sure there is other stuff, but I have a feeling the above
might keep me going for a week or two!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2016 13:36, John Rumm wrote:
On 07/07/2016 10:29, wrote:
On 06/07/2016 23:52, John Rumm wrote:

Something to sit on:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Garden_bench

Might do another (I made templates for all the cut outs), but it is nice
have some workshop space back!

Nice job (again) but you're a bad man because you led me to "Jay's"
website - I've already lost an hour to it and more will follow ;-) In
particular, there are some good ideas about workshop layout.
I've been wondering about bricking-up (with window) one of the garage
doors and building a stud wall down the middle of the double garage to
separate woodwork and metalwork,

Just build yourself a "shop" like Keith's - then you can have plenty of
space for both :

https://www.youtube.com/user/ksrucke...rch?query=shop

;-)

Ha! That's a little OTT.
I had a quick look at parts of some of his videos and it seems as if
people send him tools - I'd quite like to set-up a similar arrangement!
Thanks for yet another channel on which to while away the hours.

but I like his "island" so will have to
re-think. Maybe a stud wall inside one door and keep the other for light
and ventilation. Also, get a smaller metal lathe and ditch the unused
machines (surface grinder and powered hacksaw) to make more space.

Yup, but its hard getting rid of tools unless you have already
"upgraded" them to bigger and better - but that tends to make the
problem worse!

The metal lathe weighs between 1.5 and 2 tonnes so I don't think bigger
is in the plan, smaller and "just as good" might well be.

What's the next project?

Another bench... possibly an outside table.

Finish painting the woodwork at the front of the house.

Insulate and clad the outside of the house

Install a shower in our bathroom.

More lounge furniture to go with the large bookcase (AV units, CD
storage, shelves etc).

build a wooden clock (wood mechanism, not casework!):

http://www.lisaboyer.com/Claytonsite...icitypage1.htm

Build a games room, and a garden "garage", and swmbo wants a "summer
house".

Enclosed shelter / seating area on the patio

Erm... I am sure there is other stuff, but I have a feeling the above
might keep me going for a week or two!

You seem to have a much better supply of tuits than me. Full retirement
and improved focus beckon :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , John
Rumm escribió:

Something to sit on:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Garden_bench

That's lovely, John. Well done, and thanks for posting the pics.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Most of the online folks doing machining etc seem to get a decent trade
of tools in and out - basically sharing out unused stuff etc.

Thanks for yet another channel on which to while away the hours.

I have plenty more where that came from ;-)

[...]

Well some of those have been on the list for years, so don't get too
excited!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2016 13:33, John Rumm wrote:

To be fair, its actually quite a straight forward build... (which I over
complicated a little!). If you start with off the shelf prepared timber,
its just a bunch of 15 degree cuts.

No clever joinery, just glue and screws. The detail on the back could be
simplified, but even as it is would be doable with a jigsaw. Just stick
the printout on the wood and cut along the lines ;-)

It looks good but where do you get cedar for that price?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2016 20:12, dennis@home wrote:
On 07/07/2016 13:33, John Rumm wrote:

To be fair, its actually quite a straight forward build... (which I over
complicated a little!). If you start with off the shelf prepared timber,
its just a bunch of 15 degree cuts.

No clever joinery, just glue and screws. The detail on the back could be
simplified, but even as it is would be doable with a jigsaw. Just stick
the printout on the wood and cut along the lines ;-)

It looks good but where do you get cedar for that price?

That was from:

http://www.eoburton.com/

(keep in mind this was a year ago, so I don't know how much the price
has moved since)

I bought :

Western Red Cedar:

4" x 2" x 8' 12 off
6" x 1" x 8' 8 off

(enough for 2 benches)

American white oak: [1]

6" x 1.25" x 8' 2 off

Total came to £295 + VAT

[1] already used some of that for:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...awer_Organiser
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Spice_rack

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/07/2016 20:53, John Rumm wrote:

Total came to £295 + VAT

Bloody 'eck!

This reminds me of my woodwork teacher at school, who said:
"You be careful with that wood, boy. It doesn't grow on trees."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2016 21:19, GB wrote:
On 07/07/2016 20:53, John Rumm wrote:

Total came to £295 + VAT

Bloody 'eck!

This reminds me of my woodwork teacher at school, who said:
"You be careful with that wood, boy. It doesn't grow on trees."

Yup, its one of the more frustrating things about making stuff - the
cost of the basic raw material is silly! Especially if you want
something other than bog standard construction grade softwood.

Even a sheet of decent 3/4" ply can be over £40 these days. What I
really need is some spare trees and a chainsaw mill ;-)

Reclaiming timber from old furniture etc can work, but you can also
spend lots of time cutting it up and gluing it back together to make the
shape you want.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/07/2016 23:27, John Rumm wrote:

Reclaiming timber from old furniture etc can work, but you can also
spend lots of time cutting it up and gluing it back together to make the
shape you want.

My former next door neighbour had time on her hands, so she used to get
woollens from the charity shop, unravel them, and knit something else.

Do I mean unravel? I mean the inverse of knitting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/7/2016 6:34 PM, GB wrote:

My former next door neighbour had time on her hands, so she used to get
woollens from the charity shop, unravel them, and knit something else.

My mother did that with our cardigans as we grew - she'd rip out a
couple of old ones and the new one would be striped or patterned.
We were poor, but well-dressed.

Do I mean unravel? I mean the inverse of knitting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 Jul 2016 23:34:35 +0100, GB wrote:

On 07/07/2016 23:27, John Rumm wrote:

Reclaiming timber from old furniture etc can work, but you can also
spend lots of time cutting it up and gluing it back together to make
the shape you want.

My former next door neighbour had time on her hands, so she used to get
woollens from the charity shop, unravel them, and knit something else.

Do I mean unravel? I mean the inverse of knitting.

SWMBO says 'unpick'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2016 23:34, GB wrote:
On 07/07/2016 23:27, John Rumm wrote:

Reclaiming timber from old furniture etc can work, but you can also
spend lots of time cutting it up and gluing it back together to make the
shape you want.

My former next door neighbour had time on her hands, so she used to get
woollens from the charity shop, unravel them, and knit something else.

Do I mean unravel? I mean the inverse of knitting.

Unknit perhaps?

Its certainly doable with wood (and the commercial furniture makers will
make use of all manner of crappy off cuts of stuff and stick them back
together.

(lots of "solid oak" furniture you buy in the shops is 100% oak in the
same way as a beefburger is 100% beef!)

It adds lots of time to a job though, which can be frustrating if you
are like me, and like result more than the process.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/7/2016 11:27 PM, John Rumm wrote:
On 07/07/2016 21:19, GB wrote:
On 07/07/2016 20:53, John Rumm wrote:

Total came to £295 + VAT

Bloody 'eck!

This reminds me of my woodwork teacher at school, who said:
"You be careful with that wood, boy. It doesn't grow on trees."

Yup, its one of the more frustrating things about making stuff - the
cost of the basic raw material is silly! Especially if you want
something other than bog standard construction grade softwood.

Even a sheet of decent 3/4" ply can be over £40 these days. What I
really need is some spare trees and a chainsaw mill ;-)

I did rather like that mobile sawmill on Building Alaska (a travelling
band-saw for those who hadn't seen it). And having a license which
allows you to cut down 200 live trees (plus all the dead ones you can find).