Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default IKEA refund for unstable drawers

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20..._millions.html

Confused.

I've often assembled Ikea bits of furniture like this, and had been
given fixings to fix them to the wall.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/06/2016 11:58, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20..._millions.html

Confused.

I've often assembled Ikea bits of furniture like this, and had been
given fixings to fix them to the wall.

Many people live in rented accomodation and are not permitted to drill
into walls.

Unfortunately, much rented accomodation is tiny and they will be the
same places that need tall, thin drawer units as they don't have the
space for something deeper or lower and wider.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/06/2016 11:58, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20..._millions.html

Confused.

+1

I've often assembled Ikea bits of furniture like this, and had been
given fixings to fix them to the wall.

I have three Malm dressers upstairs, everyone of them came with
fixings to attach it to the wall.

Not fixing it would be my fault is that article perhaps for the
American market where they seem to expect everything is someone else's
fault.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"soup" wrote in message
On 28/06/2016 11:58, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20..._millions.html

Confused.

+1

I've often assembled Ikea bits of furniture like this, and had been
given fixings to fix them to the wall.

I have three Malm dressers upstairs, everyone of them came with
fixings to attach it to the wall.

Not fixing it would be my fault is that article perhaps for the
American market where they seem to expect everything is someone else's
fault.

Warning "do not dry your cat in this microwave"

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/06/2016 13:35, soup wrote:
On 28/06/2016 11:58, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20..._millions.html

Confused.

+1

I've often assembled Ikea bits of furniture like this, and had been
given fixings to fix them to the wall.

I have three Malm dressers upstairs, everyone of them came with
fixings to attach it to the wall.

Not fixing it would be my fault is that article perhaps for the
American market where they seem to expect everything is someone else's
fault.

Its hardly a new problem either - stuff with drawers can fall over, and
has been doing so since drawers were invented probably!

(although I would say its worse with modern furniture where all the
drawers are on very easy gliding runners, since the moment that starts
to tip, the other drawers start opening as well, and you get a avalanche
effect that gets out of control very quickly)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/06/2016 13:50, pamela wrote:
On 13:35 28 Jun 2016, soup wrote:

On 28/06/2016 11:58, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...ve__Ikea_to_ha
lt_sales_of_deadly_dressers__offer_refunds_to_mill ions.html

Confused.

+1

I've often assembled Ikea bits of furniture like this, and had
been given fixings to fix them to the wall.

I have three Malm dressers upstairs, everyone of them came
with fixings to attach it to the wall.

I assemble shed loads and everything come with wall fixings.

We had two Malm dressers assembled by my teenage nephew a couple of
weeks ago. He didn't mention any wall fixings.

Although Ikea doesn't provide spare bits in their assembly packs, we
did end up with an uneven number of left over bits which I took to be
the product of his rushed approach and the need for his iPod to be
switched on and within his line of sight as he worked.

IKEA don't provide spare bits because it confuses people if they have
left over parts. Never had a shortage though.

The extra bits don't exactly look like wall fixings. Maybe we will
have to get him back although the dressers seem stable enough and,
anyway, we don't want them against the wall.

They use two types, one is a flat fabric strip, the other are key hole
type metal plates.

Not fixing it would be my fault is that article perhaps for
the American market where they seem to expect everything is someone
else's fault.

Seems likely.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/06/2016 13:50, pamela wrote:
On 28/06/2016 11:58, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...ve__Ikea_to_ha
lt_sales_of_deadly_dressers__offer_refunds_to_mill ions.html

The extra bits don't exactly look like wall fixings. Maybe we will
have to get him back although the dressers seem stable enough and,
anyway, we don't want them against the wall.

They are stable, until you pull all the loaded drawers out. Then they topple.

It's odd that Ikea is being singled out, this issue applies to almost all domestic drawer units. They lack the interlock system used on commercial/industrial drawer units.

I suspect part of the problem is the rise of irresponsibility of children. And another part the unlikely belief that we live in a safe world, and consequent strong irrational reactions to discovering that we don't.

The move to lightweight chipboard & lower friction runners happened in the 60s & 70s, so I doubt that's it.

If it costs - guess here - another £10 to put an interlock on each chest of drawers, 29 million units = £290 million additional cost to save 3 toddlers.

If instead one spent that £290m on saving lives in the NHS, at £20k-30k per qaly that's 11,600 extra qalys, which would save more than 3 toddler's lives as well as many others. So much for sense.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/06/2016 11:58, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20..._millions.html

Confused.

I've often assembled Ikea bits of furniture like this, and had been
given fixings to fix them to the wall.

Happened to pass through an Ikea at the weekend - at least some Malm
stuff was highlight of their current Sale.

The short Malm drawer unit we got when they were still quite new came
with wall fixing. Trouble is, we really don't want to have to mess up
the wall and make it awkward to relocate the furniture.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20..._millions.html

Confused.

I've often assembled Ikea bits of furniture like this, and had been given
fixings to fix them to the wall.

The problem is that plenty dont bother and that has produced 6 dead kids.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pamela" wrote in message
On 11:58 28 Jun 2016, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...e__Ikea_to_hal
t_sales_of_deadly_dressers__offer_refunds_to_milli ons.html

Confused.

I've often assembled Ikea bits of furniture like this, and had
been given fixings to fix them to the wall.

We have those Ikea Malm chest of drawers but didn't get any wall
fixing brackets.

Best to get some if you have any kids visiting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/06/2016 19:53, Jacky Chance wrote:
"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20..._millions.html
I've often assembled Ikea bits of furniture like this, and had been
given fixings to fix them to the wall.

The problem is that plenty dont bother

And how is that solved by suing IKEA ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message

"soup" wrote in message
On 28/06/2016 11:58, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20..._millions.html

Confused.

+1

I've often assembled Ikea bits of furniture like this, and had been
given fixings to fix them to the wall.

I have three Malm dressers upstairs, everyone of them came with
fixings to attach it to the wall.

Not fixing it would be my fault is that article perhaps for the
American market where they seem to expect everything is someone else's
fault.

Warning "do not dry your cat in this microwave"

But the baby is fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
pamela wrote
Adrian Caspersz wrote

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...ve__Ikea_to_ha
lt_sales_of_deadly_dressers__offer_refunds_to_mill ions.html

The extra bits don't exactly look like wall fixings. Maybe we will
have to get him back although the dressers seem stable enough
and, anyway, we don't want them against the wall.

They are stable, until you pull all the loaded drawers out. Then they
topple.

And that effect is much worse with modern easy gliding drawers,
you get one hell of an avalanche effect that can easily kill a child.

It's odd that Ikea is being singled out,

It hasnt been. Its just chosen to do something about it after 6 dead kids.

this issue applies to almost all domestic drawer units. They lack
the interlock system used on commercial/industrial drawer units.

I suspect part of the problem is the rise of irresponsibility of children.

More fool you. Its actually due to much easier gliding drawers.

And another part the unlikely belief that we live in a safe world, and
consequent strong irrational reactions to discovering that we don't.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

The move to lightweight chipboard & lower friction
runners happened in the 60s & 70s, so I doubt that's it.

It is anyway with the runners.

If it costs - guess here - another £10 to put an interlock on each chest
drawers, 29 million units = £290 million additional cost to save 3
toddlers.

6 actually.

If instead one spent that £290m on saving lives in the NHS,

What the buyers of those Ikea drawers spend doesnt end
up in the NHS if it doesnt get spent on an interlock.

at £20k-30k per qaly that's 11,600 extra qalys, which would save
more than 3 toddler's lives as well as many others. So much for sense.

Even sillier than you usually manage. Typical for you tho.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2016 01:57, Jacky Chance wrote:

"soup" wrote in message
On 28/06/2016 19:53, Jacky Chance wrote:
"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20..._millions.html

I've often assembled Ikea bits of furniture like this, and had been
given fixings to fix them to the wall.

The problem is that plenty dont bother

And how is that solved by suing IKEA ?

IKEA wasnt sued.

Jumped before they were pushed ?
The way that article reads there were a lot of 'discussion papers',
'writs' etc flying about.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2016 00:08, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote
It's odd that Ikea is being singled out,

It hasnt been. Its just chosen to do something about it after 6 dead kids.

I do not want to get involved in what is obviously a long standing feud
but that article definitely says three children
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"soup" wrote in message
On 28/06/2016 19:53, Jacky Chance wrote:
"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20..._millions.html

I've often assembled Ikea bits of furniture like this, and had been
given fixings to fix them to the wall.

The problem is that plenty dont bother

And how is that solved by suing IKEA ?

IKEA wasnt sued.

Jumped before they were pushed ?

Nope, did what made sense after those 6
dead kids and realised that plenty wouldnt
attach it to the wall for various reasons.

The way that article reads there were a lot of 'discussion papers',
'writs' etc flying about.

Because it made sense to work out what could be
done and realise that recalling it was all that is
practical before any more kids ended up dead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

soup wrote
Rod Speed wrote
wrote

It's odd that Ikea is being singled out,

It hasnt been. Its just chosen to do something about it after 6 dead
kids.

I do not want to get involved in what is obviously a long standing feud
but that article definitely says three children

Somewhere else says 6 and that is on the bottom of that article too.

And its 3 too many even if it is only 3.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 28 June 2016 13:21:52 UTC+1, Steve Walker wrote:
On 28/06/2016 11:58, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20..._millions.html

Confused.

I've often assembled Ikea bits of furniture like this, and had been
given fixings to fix them to the wall.

Many people live in rented accomodation and are not permitted to drill
into walls.

Unfortunately, much rented accomodation is tiny and they will be the
same places that need tall, thin drawer units as they don't have the
space for something deeper or lower and wider.

Filing cabinets have an interlockig system so only one drawer at a time can be opened.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2016 12:05, Rod Speed wrote:

Somewhere else says 6 and that is on the bottom of that article too.

It does?
Are you reading the same article as everyone else, no-where does it
mention six kids ?

And its 3 too many even if it is only 3.

Agreed three is too many but what does Ikea have to recall all of them for?
Simply fixing then to the wall( as per any instructions I have ever
seen) will do or even (in extremis) not allowing unsupervised access to
a toddler to a room with these in .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2016 12:04, Jacky Chance wrote:

Nope, did what made sense after those 6
dead kids

What six kids. You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own
facts

and realised that plenty wouldnt
attach it to the wall for various reasons.

And somehow those reasons are down to IKEA to sort

Because it made sense to work out what could be
done

What like fixing the drawers to the walls or not allowing unsupervised
access or...

Jacky don't get me wrong it is heartrending loosing a child but I see no
future in blaming others for what was clearly in your (TINY) hands.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/16 17:30, soup wrote:
On 29/06/2016 12:04, Jacky Chance wrote:

What like fixing the drawers to the walls or not allowing unsupervised
access or...

Jacky don't get me wrong it is heartrending loosing a child but I see no
future in blaming others for what was clearly in your (TINY) hands.

Er, you do know who "Jacky" is?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2016 18:15, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 29/06/16 17:30, soup wrote:
On 29/06/2016 12:04, Jacky Chance wrote:

What like fixing the drawers to the walls or not allowing unsupervised
access or...

Jacky don't get me wrong it is heartrending loosing a child but I see no
future in blaming others for what was clearly in your (TINY) hands.

Er, you do know who "Jacky" is?

Er nope .
Does it matter?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/16 17:30, soup wrote:
On 29/06/2016 12:04, Jacky Chance wrote:

What like fixing the drawers to the walls or not allowing unsupervised
access or...

Jacky don't get me wrong it is heartrending loosing a child but I see no
future in blaming others for what was clearly in your (TINY) hands.

Er, you do know who "Jacky" is?

Er nope .
Does it matter?

You think feeding trolls is sensible?

Tim

--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2016 19:41, Tim+ wrote:

You think feeding trolls is sensible?

Didn't know it was a troll.

Wouldn't deliberately feed them, but re your signature, if you want to
KF me go ahead(not that you need my permission I just thought I would
let you know IDGAF about you or what you do).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

soup wrote:
On 29/06/2016 19:41, Tim+ wrote:

You think feeding trolls is sensible?

Didn't know it was a troll.

Not hard to work out.

New name on the group. Immediately takes up a contrary or provocative
position and clearly knows how to post to Usenet. The number of new users
of Usenet is so vanishingly small these days that anyone "new" who posts
like an experienced Usenet user is 90% likelihood of being a troll.

Wouldn't deliberately feed them, but re your signature, if you want to
KF me go ahead(not that you need my permission I just thought I would
let you know IDGAF about you or what you do).

Well it's only in my sig as a reminder that feeding trolls increases the
noise to signal ratio to the point where the group ceases to be useful.
Ditto OT Brexit crap. Already this group has gone so far down the pan it's
hard to imagine it lasting much longer unless folk can learn to stop
responding to trolls.

Tim

--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2016 21:08, Tim+ wrote:

Ditto OT Brexit crap.

I have marked lots of Brexit, indeed politics in general, threads with
"ignore thread". This seems to mark the thread with a red asterix then
next time that group is opened that thread is not even displayed.
On one occasion (two days ago) two threads out of every three were
marked as ignore .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

soup wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Somewhere else says 6 and that is on the bottom of that article too.

It does?
Are you reading the same article as everyone else, no-where does it
mention six kids ?

Yes it does, right at the bottom in one of the links.

And its 3 too many even if it is only 3.

Agreed three is too many but what does Ikea have to recall all of them
for?

Because clearly some people dont fix them to the wall.

Simply fixing then to the wall( as per any instructions I have ever seen)
will do

Not possible in plenty of rented places.

or even (in extremis) not allowing unsupervised access to a toddler to a
room with these in .

Just not practical with such an unspeakable result.

And even if it is just 3, there must have been
lots severely injured with broken bones etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"soup" wrote in message
On 29/06/2016 12:04, Jacky Chance wrote:

and realised that plenty wouldnt
attach it to the wall for various reasons.

And somehow those reasons are down to IKEA to sort

Corse they are when they designed the chest of drawers
and didnt include an interlock that stops more than one
drawer being open at a time and used the impractical
alternative of attaching it to the wall.

Because it made sense to work out what could be done

What like fixing the drawers to the walls or not allowing unsupervised
access or...

Makes a lot more sense to recall them and add an interlock
that stops more than one drawer being opened at a time.
Not a shred of rocket science required, those have been
available for a hell of a long time now, for a reason.

Not allowing unsupervised access is even less
feasible than requiring it be fixed to the wall.

Jacky don't get me wrong it is heartrending loosing a child but I see no
future in blaming others for what was clearly in your (TINY) hands.

More fool you when the fix is obvious, an interlock that
prevents an avalanche of drawers when one is opened
with the chest of drawers not being attached to the wall.

If it didn't kill little kids, no big deal, but given that it clearly
does...

IMO it should never have been sold like that in the first place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 29 June 2016 21:28:47 UTC+1, soup wrote:
On 29/06/2016 21:08, Tim+ wrote:

Ditto OT Brexit crap.

I have marked lots of Brexit, indeed politics in general, threads with
"ignore thread". This seems to mark the thread with a red asterix then
next time that group is opened that thread is not even displayed.
On one occasion (two days ago) two threads out of every three were
marked as ignore .

almost all here are brexit related at the moment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/16 21:28, soup wrote:
On 29/06/2016 21:08, Tim+ wrote:

Ditto OT Brexit crap.

I have marked lots of Brexit, indeed politics in general, threads with
"ignore thread". This seems to mark the thread with a red asterix then
next time that group is opened that thread is not even displayed.
On one occasion (two days ago) two threads out of every three were
marked as ignore .

And indeed, that is what is so profoundly democratic about usenet.

If you dont want to, you don't have to.

There is no authority.

And yet there is helpfulness and information exchanged for free....

Josef Stalin

IKEA chest of drawers Flynno UK diy 11 February 12th 16 11:46 AM
Unstable ohmeter Peter Easthope Electronics Repair 8 July 9th 13 01:58 PM
straightening bowed wood - Ikea drawers David WE Roberts[_4_] UK diy 7 October 9th 11 04:41 PM
Stairs, Unstable The Daring Dufas[_6_] Home Repair 12 March 14th 10 01:38 AM
Removing IKEA kitchen drawers Tony Eva UK diy 2 May 21st 05 01:01 PM